Living Colours Dive Resort
  • Beachfront
  • Restaurant
$67
$53
The Village Bunaken(Bunaken Island)
  • Beachfront
  • Breakfast included
Siladen Resort & Spa(Siladen Island)
  • Pool
Onong Resort(Manado)
Agoda.com
  • Pool
All reviewsfinnish saunasafety stopgreat divingdive resortwater heaterfishsea grasstake carebeach barsmall beachdrinking watermanado airportmuck divingother guestslunch and dinnermarine lifemangrove forest
Reviewed November 5, 2013

Two years ago we stayed at the Living Colours Dive Resort for the first time. We were very happy to come back, this year, for an 11 day stay. Not so much had changed:
- the diving and snorkeling was still the best and so were the staff on the boats. One gets very spoiled here as a diver. My friend had had a medical treatment, and he did not once have to lift his tank into the boat after diving: was always helped.
- the staff helped my friend with photography, and his results - with a photo lamp, not a strobe - were stunning. Surf to [Zenfolio] and [Sander van Hulsenbeek] and you can find out.
- the diving spots are still superb, but on the inner side of the boomerang shaped island, the plastic-bags - refuse problem (coming from Manado) looked worse than 2 years ago.Shame on the local governments!
- the restaurant staff was still in total swing and the food was superb and varied everyday. As I said two years ago, I have an Indonesian background so I can know :)
- nice new touches in the rooms: one's own water-cooler, also with hot water for tea and one fan per bed.
the wifi - quite a feat they even had it two years ago - had much improved. But it is satellite based and not much good during a rainstorm :)
- the bar now has wine - order in time - and it is not bad at all.
- the sauna is for aficionado's, but what a start for an evening!
Rumour has it this is the best dive setup on the island, and we are not surprised it is. Committed, safe, confident and friendly, a pleasure to be with. If the eye is critical, a little new varnish here and there in the resort would be pleasing, but we know this is a brutal climate.
Excellent! That is our opinion!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 9, 2013

After taking our PADI courses in Canada, my wife and I traveled to Bunaken together with expert diving friends, who chose this resort after hearing great things about its possibilities. It proved to be a great choice both for them and us novices.

We took our first open water dives under the instruction of Ali, one of the divemasters at Living Colors; he was great, attentive, patient and fun. Those first dives can make all the difference, and ours were just great - if anything, we may have been spoilt by the abundance and variety of life we saw. All those turtles...

Our friends have dived all over the world and were really impressed by the quality of the dives, the photo ops and the expertise of the divemasters who went with them.

The resort is very nice and comfortable, the service excellent and friendly and the food more than adequate. You don't travel to Sulawesi looking for superluxurious accommodation and a gourmet experience. I would have gladly spent a few more days, hope to go back some day with more dives in my log, and certainly recommend it to expert and beginner divers.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank iyufera
Reviewed July 29, 2013

My husband and I stayed for 7 nights, diving 2 or 3 times a day! Staff and diving instructor are awesome, showing us little creatures in the reef and socializing later at the bar. The diving is relaxing, the sites fantastic and diverse! Bungalows are also very confortable and the food is very good (fish and breadfruit!!)

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 27, 2013

I stayed in living colours with my wife for three weeks. The resort offers fantastic opportunities both for diving and relaxing - not forgetting meeting new awesome people around the world. The variety of sea life made an impression. Local dive guides and instructors are skillfull and dedicated to over achieving the customer expectations. All staff in general was very friendly and the cooks succeeded to satisfy our culinary needs amazingly well. The utmost fine tuning of our great vacation was the marvellous finnish sauna. We can warmly recommend this resort for those who want to experience true hospitality, original Indonesian surroundings and world class diving sites. We will be back - no doubt about that.

Risto P

Room Tip: All bungalows are nice and cosy fitting the environment very well.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Risto P
Reviewed May 17, 2013

My elder son Varun and I stayed for 5 nights (from May 6th till 11th) at the Living colors dive resort. Pick up and drop off service from Manado airport was good. Visa on arrival at Manado was easy.

Living colors has 3 levels. There is a small beach hidden behind mangroves; dive centre and “safety stop”, the bar, is on level 1. After climbing 70 odd slippery steps one reaches level 2, where restaurant is located. Individual bungalows are a few meters up on level 3.

It rained on most days in the evening, and restaurant & rooms were full of lizards and bugs sitting on beams and ceiling. Bugs used to drop on table from time to time. Probably nothing much can be done about them, as it is a rain forest and effectively their territory. But it was uncomfortable. Rooms were made of wood and there were dark corners. Big water bottle was provided in every room and there were plenty of charging points. 24 hrs electricity was generated by resort’s Diesel generators. It must be expensive to provide such a facility in a jungle.

Dive centre was well stocked, there were 3 power boats to take customers to various dive sites. Jr. staff carried equipment from boat to dive centre and back, and we got exactly same equipment, BCD, wet suite, fins, every day. It was a nice. 2 German make Bauer kompressoren were there. Air tanks and quality of air was very good. On many occasions I found my tank with 260 bar pressure!! Ali, our dive instructor is a lovey human being. It is a pleasure to spend time with him. He makes quality bread which was served every day for breakfast. It was really delicious. Nice hobby.

We visited 8 sites in 4 days. Most dive sites are 8-10 min away by speed boat. . The most memorable were Sachiko’s point, Lekuan I and molas whip wreck near manado (30 min away). Bunaken walls were magnificent, sheer vertical drops with infinite varieties of corals and fish. Mild currents used to take us away allowing us to view the beauty of nature. We saw a huge turtle at Lekuan I; it had taken shelter in wall cave. Visibility was excellent, 30+ water was clean. Diving in Bunaken is AMAZING !! There is a coral reef around this tiny island and drop starts about 100+ meter from shore. Good for snorkelling too.

Resort charges everything in Euros. Bunaken village is 45 min away, and the walk is thru jungle and small road. Most residents of Bunaken are Christians and Beer and Pork was available. There is a nice church there. Living colors is totally isolated in jungle and it gets boring in the evening. Owners, Mia and Jakko are nice individuals. Internet is Euro 15 per bungalow irrespective of number of devices. And it worked well most of the time. Restaurant offered buffet and it was good. Beer was Euro 3.

If diving is your objective to visit Bunaken, I will recommend Living Colors. I am told 2 fish dive resport is also good, a bit nearer to the village.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family