“Fantastic organization!”

Reviewed December 8, 2014

I just posted a review about my trip here in the Ethiopia country profile. Spent a weekend here and had a fantastic time. Great for day trips or weekend, especially for those that love nature, farms, and community interactions. A truly fantastic organization run by and supportive of the local community. You arrive at the office and hire a guide for the 4-5 hr round trip around the crater lake, including a 20-30 minute boat ride across the lake. If you get tired you can always hire a horse along the way and ride most of the way! A great time for all ages. Bring a picnic and enjoy the fantastic views. You can buy softdrinks and beer near the lake, but I'd bring food along for the trip. You can also ask if you can stop in one of the local houses and have someone cook Enset (false banana) for you, but make sure you tip them well and bring a gift if possible (sugar, coffee, etc) One of the few organizations that has done a fantastic job putting tourist dollars to a good use and providing jobs for the locals. Tour guides are friendly, professional, and speak English (some speak German too). I'd love to go back and highly recommend this for others. If you don't want to stay in Wenchi, I'd recommend staying in Woliso which is a really lovely little town south of the mountain. We were lucky enough to have Miresa, one of the founders of the organization that originally organized the community, show us around the town and tell us a great deal about the community. Feel free to contact him at 0910652023 or just show up at the community tourism office and have a great time!

2  Thank Mark V