“It's 1976 and I'm eating a school dinner again...”

Cork Tree Restaurant
Cuisines: Seafood, Grill, European, Steakhouse, Irish
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: The Cork Tree Restaurant is part of the beautiful Courtmacsherry Hotel. Our award winning dining room specializes in locally sourced produce, with an emphasis on fresh fish and great Irish Prime Beef. The Cork Tree Restaurant has undergone some major refurbishments in the past few years, creating a delightful Victorian setting to cater for any occasion. The Cork Tree Restaurant offers special deals in conjunction with the family owned Courtmacsherry Hotel, making this the idyllic setting for an intimate weekend escape. For larger parties, our dining room sits up to 75 guests, friends and family comfortably, great for family reunions and intimate weddings. We offer an A la Carte option for evening diners, booking in advance is highly recommended. For groups larger than 10, we offer exclusive tailormade menus to suit your needs. We also specialize in formal dining affairs, with exquisite service and immacable food, great for Black Tie dinners and formal affairs.
London, United Kingdom
“It's 1976 and I'm eating a school dinner again...”
Reviewed September 11, 2009

Had dinner here a couple of Saturdays ago as just wanted somewhere local ish to eat. I asked my boyfriend to check out the menu in the window and book it if he thought it looked ok as we have seen that it’s always busy. We got a table for 9pm as it was almost fully booked.

We arrived at the restaurant just before 9pm; it was packed which is always a good sign. Eventually caught someone’s eye and we were shown to our table and given the menu. I started reading it and I asked my beloved if when he looked at the menu whether he actually read it… he said he saw the John Dory was on the mains and didn’t read anymore… Mmmm

I really struggled to find something to tempt me, the menu is so dated, it’s like a time warp: duck a l ‘orange, chicken supreme, prawn cocktail, garlic mushrooms, pate and toast.

Anyway thought we would make the best of it: I ordered the seafood patter, which bearing in mind Courtmacsherry is a fishing village, I thought would be ok and salmon with a hollandaise sauce. My BF ordered mussels and the John Dory and we ordered some wine. We were brought a roll which had seen better days and then our wine and water. A very short while passed and we were presented with our starters:

My BF’s mussels were in a shallow lasagne type dish, one shell off so the flesh piece was in the remaining other, covered in what I can only describe as sage and onion stuffing and grilled to death. They were not pleasant; all you could taste was the bizarre topping.
My seafood platter was just as odd, small spoonful of tuna from a tin, piece of peppered mackerel from a packet, 3 tiny prawns smothered in cocktail sauce, 1 mussel and the thinnest tiniest sliver of smoked salmon I have ever seen. Oh and plenty of garnish! It was awful, tasteless and a con. That is not seafood platter in my book and cost over €10. Erm.. perhaps they forgot where they are located?
Mains: My salmon was almost white where it had been over cooked and the hollandaise was actually a tasteless béchamel sauce. The John Dory was very small, dry and overcooked too.. Side veg was mushy red cabbage, 2 florets of broccoli and I think swede, I can’t really remember as it was all tasteless. We were brought ‘3 types of potato’ which were chips, school type mash and garlic which seems to be pre-requisite any time you eat out. No of which complimented the main courses, or made them taste any better.
I commented to the young waitress that my fish was overcooked but I was met with a blank face. I don’t think people complain about food enough if it's not right and what can you do when everyone other person in the restaurant is clearly enjoying it. I guess it’s what you are used to.
I am not a food snob, but I expect much better when I paying over €100 and I expect it to be better than I can cook myself! So we just laughed and finished our wine.
In conclusion, if you like tasteless, overcooked 1970’s style food, in a packed atmosphere pop to this hotel. We won’t be going back.

10 Thank Fanoir_Adams