“Clean and friendly Guest House”
Review of Unicorn Hotel

Unicorn Hotel
Ranked #2 of 12 Llanidloes B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 19, 2012

A recently refurbished establishment, modern and well equipped rooms. Free WIFI, Very clean. No complaints at all. You have to park on the street, which is free (1hr parking between 8am 6pm mon-sat).
BUT please note, the owners are only there in the morning and evening when they are seeing to their restaurant next door, outside these hours you need to ring them on there mobile to book in.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed August 12, 2012

We were in a family room which was very clean and well presented with a superb shower. The evening meal was to a high standard and as good as we've had recently. breakfast was good also. It is run by a hard working couple attempting to lift the experience from the usual village presentation

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank John B
Reviewed August 7, 2012

Upon arrival we had a warm welcome from the owners (though Mr Powell was a little frustrated that a previous owner had broken the travel cot for our room) who were pleasant, friendly, and helpful. They had been very accomodating in shuffling our room around as rooms became available which was fantastic in giving us a room more suited to fitting a travel cot in. As previously mentioned there were a few bits and bobs in the corridor but what home with children doesn't have? I feel that is being overly critical when it's clear that 99% of the public areas are so clean and tidy, pristine in fact. Our room was really nicely decorated and very clean with enough room for the aforementioned travel cot, additionally the double bed was fantastically comfy & inviting!! We were hoping for a bath but once our little boy was in the shower he had a whale of a time so that point was rendered insignificant. At breakfast and evenings the staff were SO accommodating with us as we had to work around our little boy, most significantly they were happy to warm his milk whenever it was required. The food was lovely and the choice at breakfast was great and it was served very swiftly. We were able to come and go as we pleased which was very helpful and overall we found the hotel and it's staff very warm, friendly, affable and welcoming. The location is fantastic, in the heart of a beautiful village (?) but with ample parking down a nearby side street. Walks down to the river are also a must as the area is beautiful, its a shame we weren't able to go into the hills with the little boy due to both lack of appropriate clothing and time! In fact we may return in the next couple of years when the little boy is big enough to go walking with his daddy & grandad. Thank you so much for a lovely stay....

Room Tip: If you have a small child & wish to take a travel cot, make sure you book a double or king size...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Ben L
Reviewed August 6, 2012

I recently stayed here this weekend!! I have been to Llany a couple of times as have family there!! But was presently surprised when we found this little gem of a hotel!! The staff are very friendly & showed us to our room & as we where in the area for a wedding, they showed us how to get in during the evening when the bar & resteraunt had closed!!
The Room was beautiful, very clean & modern, not what I expected!! Tea & coffee in the room free of charge & toiletries!! The shower in our room was fab, much better then other b&b I'd stated in before! Breakfast was included and was great, fully English or ceareals!! The hotel is in the centre of Llany which is a small town anyway!! We didn't get to eat in the resteraunt!! But my parents did & they said it was fab, my dad had a filet of plaice & said it was the best he had!! Over all if you are passing through Llany this is defiantly the hotel to stay in!!

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank StaceyLou123
Reviewed July 1, 2012

I couldn't really decide what the Unicorn was. Was it a pub with a B&B, a B&B, a restaurant with rooms or as the name suggests, an hotel? There was an element of pleasure, with a small bit of pain for us! It's definitely worth a visit, so if that's all you want to know and you are staying in this area, get booking. Otherwise I'm going to go into a bit of detail for this place. Firstly the 'bar' doubles up as the reception/pay desk. Gin and tonic with the tonic out of a large bottle and no beers on tap, so Guiness and the like out of cans. I guess it helps keeps the cost down to them and us, so I won't complain about that. So, it's not a pub. OK, I don't know the definition or difference between hotel and B&B so I'm only going on my experiences elsewhere. I don't think it quite makes an hotel, partly because of the bar thing, but also it shuts during the afternoon. That's not necessarily so bad though as you can come and go as you please. The restaurant part is nice, in fact the best looking place to eat in the town I can't pronounce. It looks good value during the day for pub type meals, maybe a little pricey for the evening menu. Nonetheless you need to know that the food is good with a decent selection of wines. My gut feeling is that this is a top end B&B rather than an hotel, but like I say I'm a bit confused! I have to say apart from a few boxes in the hallway and a few small bits that aren't worth detailing, this place was spotless. I've been in places that are bigger and more expensive, but no where near as clean as it was here! Top notch! Our room was very large, lovely massive bed and decent furniture. I can't help thinking that the refurb has covered over some of the lovely original features in the bedrooms though, but that's just a personal preference. A nice big clean bathroom (although the bath wasn't quite fullsize despite having more than enough space for it) and lovely shower. The owners were pleasant and the breakfast was great. I think one of the reviewers below mentioned about a finger like sausage! Well that certainly has been sorted. Decent sausage and tasty bacon, good all round with cereals, yoghurts, juices and fruit to go with it. My only moan about the breakfast was that you couldn't have cooked breakfast after 9am. When I'm on holiday I don't want to set my alarm to be up and ready for breakfast similar to that of when I'm at work. The hotel faces onto the main street so we were woken up on one night by what sounded like drunk people wanting to rip each other apart after leaving the, I guess, (far too) late closing pub at one end of the street. That's not the Unicorn's fault and the owners apologised and looked gutted for us the following morning so that went a long way. The following night was silent for us so maybe the first night was just a one off.
So, to sum up then, I would recommend this place. It's one of the, if not the, best looking places in 'Llany', a town which also confused me as I've never seen so many barbers/hairdressers and antique shops in such a small area! Lovely breakffast, exceptionally clean rooms and pleasant staff, but I'm not convinced hotel is the right term!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Big C
Reviewed June 18, 2012

A helpful and friendly greeting was given to us when we arrived here looking a bit wet and worn out after biking through the Welsh countryside following route 8 of the National Cycle Network.

It’s always nice when cycling to have somewhere dry and secure to put your bikes and this place had an ideal spot behind a locked gate out of the elements. After this we were led upstairs to a very large room at the front of the hotel that looked out over the main high street of Llanidloes.

As with most cycling trips, it’s always a bonus to stay somewhere that also has a bath where you can soak for an hour after your exertions and this place had a decent bath and shower in a clean and tidy bathroom.

The room itself was very spacious and I quite liked the minimalism of not having loads of clutter to fill out the space. Two simple bed side stools adorned either side of the bed with quality made wardrobe and chest of drawers for clothes storage. There’s also an additional chair underneath a flat screen TV and tea/coffee making facilities.

In the evening we decided to eat in the hotel which opens like a restaurant and does excellent food. We were vegetarians and were I think the only ones eating a vegetarian meal that night as it was officially ‘steak night’. Not that any of this was an issue and we enjoyed a very nice vegetable crumble with vegetables with a very reasonably priced bottle of red wine.
Breakfast was taken downstairs with cereals, toast and a vegetarian cooked breakfast – again none of this was an issue for the hosts.

Overall this is a lovely hotel in an excellent location in the town serving good food with good rooms. Would recommend.

Room Tip: We had a very large room at the front with views of the high street. This room had a bath.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 18, 2012

Staff polite and friendly. Our room was particularly nice - spacious, clean and comfortable and with everything you needed. The restaurant had a nice atmosphere and the food was good but we'd have preferred more choice of vegetable. A lot of street noise into the early hours but this would be true of any of the local hotels (and probably most small towns) on a Saturday night.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Llanidloes
7 mi away
0 mi away
The Royal Head
The Royal Head
#10 of 12 in Llanidloes

Been to Unicorn Hotel? Share your experiences!