“Good, but I'm a bit confused....” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Unicorn Hotel
Ranked #1 of 13 Llanidloes B&B and Inns
private
“Good, but I'm a bit confused....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2012

I couldn't really decide what the Unicorn was. Was it a pub with a B&B, a B&B, a restaurant with rooms or as the name suggests, an hotel? There was an element of pleasure, with a small bit of pain for us! It's definitely worth a visit, so if that's all you want to know and you are staying in this area, get booking. Otherwise I'm going to go into a bit of detail for this place. Firstly the 'bar' doubles up as the reception/pay desk. Gin and tonic with the tonic out of a large bottle and no beers on tap, so Guiness and the like out of cans. I guess it helps keeps the cost down to them and us, so I won't complain about that. So, it's not a pub. OK, I don't know the definition or difference between hotel and B&B so I'm only going on my experiences elsewhere. I don't think it quite makes an hotel, partly because of the bar thing, but also it shuts during the afternoon. That's not necessarily so bad though as you can come and go as you please. The restaurant part is nice, in fact the best looking place to eat in the town I can't pronounce. It looks good value during the day for pub type meals, maybe a little pricey for the evening menu. Nonetheless you need to know that the food is good with a decent selection of wines. My gut feeling is that this is a top end B&B rather than an hotel, but like I say I'm a bit confused! I have to say apart from a few boxes in the hallway and a few small bits that aren't worth detailing, this place was spotless. I've been in places that are bigger and more expensive, but no where near as clean as it was here! Top notch! Our room was very large, lovely massive bed and decent furniture. I can't help thinking that the refurb has covered over some of the lovely original features in the bedrooms though, but that's just a personal preference. A nice big clean bathroom (although the bath wasn't quite fullsize despite having more than enough space for it) and lovely shower. The owners were pleasant and the breakfast was great. I think one of the reviewers below mentioned about a finger like sausage! Well that certainly has been sorted. Decent sausage and tasty bacon, good all round with cereals, yoghurts, juices and fruit to go with it. My only moan about the breakfast was that you couldn't have cooked breakfast after 9am. When I'm on holiday I don't want to set my alarm to be up and ready for breakfast similar to that of when I'm at work. The hotel faces onto the main street so we were woken up on one night by what sounded like drunk people wanting to rip each other apart after leaving the, I guess, (far too) late closing pub at one end of the street. That's not the Unicorn's fault and the owners apologised and looked gutted for us the following morning so that went a long way. The following night was silent for us so maybe the first night was just a one off.
So, to sum up then, I would recommend this place. It's one of the, if not the, best looking places in 'Llany', a town which also confused me as I've never seen so many barbers/hairdressers and antique shops in such a small area! Lovely breakffast, exceptionally clean rooms and pleasant staff, but I'm not convinced hotel is the right term!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Big C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2012

A helpful and friendly greeting was given to us when we arrived here looking a bit wet and worn out after biking through the Welsh countryside following route 8 of the National Cycle Network.

It’s always nice when cycling to have somewhere dry and secure to put your bikes and this place had an ideal spot behind a locked gate out of the elements. After this we were led upstairs to a very large room at the front of the hotel that looked out over the main high street of Llanidloes.

As with most cycling trips, it’s always a bonus to stay somewhere that also has a bath where you can soak for an hour after your exertions and this place had a decent bath and shower in a clean and tidy bathroom.

The room itself was very spacious and I quite liked the minimalism of not having loads of clutter to fill out the space. Two simple bed side stools adorned either side of the bed with quality made wardrobe and chest of drawers for clothes storage. There’s also an additional chair underneath a flat screen TV and tea/coffee making facilities.

In the evening we decided to eat in the hotel which opens like a restaurant and does excellent food. We were vegetarians and were I think the only ones eating a vegetarian meal that night as it was officially ‘steak night’. Not that any of this was an issue and we enjoyed a very nice vegetable crumble with vegetables with a very reasonably priced bottle of red wine.
Breakfast was taken downstairs with cereals, toast and a vegetarian cooked breakfast – again none of this was an issue for the hosts.

Overall this is a lovely hotel in an excellent location in the town serving good food with good rooms. Would recommend.

Room Tip: We had a very large room at the front with views of the high street. This room had a bath.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Beverley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2012

Staff polite and friendly. Our room was particularly nice - spacious, clean and comfortable and with everything you needed. The restaurant had a nice atmosphere and the food was good but we'd have preferred more choice of vegetable. A lot of street noise into the early hours but this would be true of any of the local hotels (and probably most small towns) on a Saturday night.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2012

Being high up on trip-adviser ourselves we always expect the same high standards ourselves when we go away.Our 4day break at the Unicorn Hotel in Llanidloes provided just that. The hotel is newly refurbished to a high standard and both bedrooms and bathrooms are very clean. The hotel restaurant provides excellent breakfasts, lunches, and dinners using fresh produce from local sources. We visited their butcher and returned to Chester with lots of good meat.The hosts of the Unicorn, Glyn and Hayley are very welcoming and deserve to do well with this value for money small hotel. Desnia and Richard. Victoria Lodge, Chester

Room Tip: All rooms are a high standard on two floors
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank richardwill64
Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2012

After 40 years away from the area, we couldn't have asked for anywhere better than our stay at the Unicorn.The accommodation was excellent, very clean, well decorated and furnished to a first class standard. Breakfast and evening meals were exceptional, Hayley and Glyn were perfect hosts. The Elan Valley, Red Kite Centre, Hafren Forest, and the West Coast of Wales are in easy reach of Llanidloes. We highly recommend this little gem in the heart of Wales.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Somerset UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2012

Look no further if you want to be treated to great accommodation, breakfast, lunch & evening menu - a Sunday lunch to die for - and what everyone needs - relaxing in clean, comfortable surroundings with friendly faces and being well looked after by Hayley, Glyn & their staff. Thanks again. S&M

Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SuziE975
Loughborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2012

Just come back from a two night stay at the Unicorn. The hotel accomodation and food was excellent. The room was spacious, clean and modern. There was plenty of choice on the evening menu and the quality of the food and service was superb. It's worth booking a table at the weekend as the restaurant is busy. Breakfast was also excellent.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Llanidloes
Maesmawr Hall Hotel
Trewythen Hotel
Trewythen Hotel
#3 of 13 in Llanidloes
The Forest Country House B&B and Cottages

Been to Unicorn Hotel? Share your experiences!