“Good carvery”

Description: Pub/RestaurantTelephone: 01695 572657Postcode: L40 8HY
Southport, United Kingdom
“Good carvery”
Reviewed December 6, 2013 via mobile

Visited here on 2 consecutive Sundays and had the carvery on both occasions good choice of meats, food was good and cooked well,lovely traditional puds,landlord and staff were very friendly and efficient, a nice warm atmosphere,well worth the drive from Southport we will return.

• Visited November 2013

Liverpool, England, United Kingdom
“Absolute disgraceful”
Reviewed October 7, 2013

My wife and I went to The Kicking Donkey on Sunday 6th October 2013, the choice was abysmal the service was very poor and the food was much below what is standard acceptable. My wife chose the Turkey, this cuts that were given were in pieces from the lower end, the carver had no idea how to carve a simple piece of Turkey, my wife chose the carrot and turnip which is her favourite, there was very little stuffing and a poor choice of other vegetables. When my wife commenced eating the carrot and turnip was ice cold, it had definitely been defrosted and someone forgot to heat it up. My wife was advised that a side plate was to be given for her carrot and Turnip and it was heated up, by time it arrived back my wife had finished most of the meal. I will not even mention that the choice was Turkey, Beef or Gammon, there gammon was on its last literally a bit left, I had no choice but to go for the beef which I didn't really want, again I also had the same experience with the carrot and turnip as I also didn't know it was cold. At least 5 other couples complained at the same time. We will never go back there again.

Visited October 2013
5 Thank Jim B
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“not what it says on the tin!!”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

really nice pub and nice service, but I for one I,m fed up of signs saying home cooked food and then getting cheap frozen chips, kids meal same as maccys, frozen nuggets, chips and no toy or drink,, nope sorry, don't have home cooked food signs up and serve frozen food I wouldn't eat at home for that price.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank christine_b346
Valencia, Spain
“New menu - same great welcome !”
Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

We always enjoy times here and are always looked after on every level.
On this occasion Andy the publican greeted us and our elderly relative in the car park after a three week absence through ill health - and made us especially welcome. What a nice guy Andy is and his assistance was genuine.
The food as ever was very good - and served with a smile.
The new look menu has some excellent new dishes and the specials board keeps the whole thing lively.
I don't drink alcohol as I'm driving - but I've heard that the beers are exceptional.
Long may this lovely couple continue to get the support from the local community which they so richly deserve !

Visited August 2013
Chorley
“Good Beer, Good Food.”
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Cutting across from Southport to the Motorway yesterday and decided to pop in for some dinner; once again, not disappointed. Had the home made Turkey and Ham Pie with veg and chips. The veg was clearly fresh and everything was piping hot, as it should be. Washed down with a pint of Abbots Cask Ale.

• Visited July 2013