“Fantastic” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Left Bank Brasserie

Left Bank Brasserie
Ranked #4 of 135 Restaurants in Ormskirk
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Kids, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Brunch, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
burscough, England
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2014

Left Bank restaurant is second to none in ormskirk. The service given by the staff makes all of the guests feel welcome, the price is highly competative and the food is excellent. Overall a great place to dine in the Ormskirk area.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Perfect night!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2014 via mobile

Went for our friends birthday. Food was delicious and service was fantastic. Lots of choice and all our meals were beautiful. Thank you Luis for making our night so perfect. Will definitely be returning.

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Quirky!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2014

My partner and I booked a table here for a Saturday evening. We were looking for a romantic meal for two, in cosy, intimate surroundings and had heard good things about this restaurant.

We arrived for the 6:30pm table and there were already one or two groups and several couples seated at the front of house. We were greeted by a friendly waiter and we were shown to our table which was at the rear of the L-shaped room and next to the stairs leading to the toilets. We were disappointed at this stage due to our proximity to the toilet entrance, it was also quite chilly and we felt somewhat 'closed off' from the rest of the restaurant and the ambiance we had felt on initially arriving.

The restaurant's decor was uninspiring and tired, it gave no clues to the kind of food we could expect though as it is a Brasserie I was expecting a french or possibly mediterranean themed menu. What we got was a menu that completely surprised me , though in a slightly unsettling way. It was certainly quirky. Yes they offered a frogs legs entree so I can't say it wasn't inspired by french cuisine but the dish was described as served on a popodom, in a curry sauce! Needless to say neither of us plumped for this.

I found it difficult to pick my courses because the combinations of ingredients seemed a little 'off the wall', even though I consider myself widely travelled and having eaten all over the Mediterranean, eastern Europe, Caribbean and the West Indies, America, Canada, NZ and Australiasia.

My first course was 'porc pomme' , - a pork escalope, seated on several slithers of apple, topped with black pudding and two chunks of chicken, This proved to be a tasty combination, my partner chose a bone-in duck breast.in an orange sauce, needless to say we both ate every morsel, and did so again with the main courses!

A family group with several young children, one a toddler were seated nearby, the balloons signalling it was one of the children's 6th birthday. I was impressed by the friendliness of the waiters and proprietor with this family. They clearly knew them as well as another couple also seated nearby. They were obviously repeat customers whom the staff had taken the time to get to know.
The proprietor came to our table several times, enquiring how we were finding our food and his efficiency and interest in his customers was impressive. Every staff member who served us was a credit to the establishment. I ordered a liqueur coffee to round off my meal and the waiter who took the order forgot to place the order. After it became obvious I had been forgotten I called the waiter over. He was very apologetic. The proprietor brought my drink in person and stated it would be 'on the house'.

Neither of us chose a dessert as to be truthful, the dessert menu was uninspiring, plus we were pleasantly full after our two courses.

Did we get our romantic meal in a cosy, intimate brasserie - well, no we didn't. What we did get was a family friendly establishment with a reasonably priced, if somewhat unusual menu in terms of authenticity. The waiters appeared to enjoy their jobs which was very refreshing. You were made to feel that your experience there mattered by the staff team.

Would we go again? As a couple, no we wouldn't, would I bring the family, probably not but this is because for me, eating out is about the whole experience, the ambiance, decor, fixtures and fittings too and the lack of character in the restaurant itself let this Brasserie down.

I scored four on the whole, though 'good' rather than 'very good' is nearer the mark.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
London, United Kingdom
“Dinner with Friends”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014

Nice meals - good value and good service staff very friendly - Setting not brilliant more of a Bistro with hard chairs and narrow room. Special Offers

Visited August 2013
Ormskirk, United Kingdom
“10 out of 10 for a family birthday meal for 10”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2014

Lovely food, great service and excellent value for money.

The food was beautifully presented and very tasty.

Staff are friendly and attentive and the whole place has a lovely relaxed atmosphere.

3 course Sunday menu for £10 is a bargain!

We are planning to again for another birthday in February, and would highly recommend to anyone in the area.