“DONT GO : Very overpriced and pretentious”
Review of The Saracens Head

The Saracens Head
Ranked #26 of 152 Restaurants in Ormskirk
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Canal-side restaurant with good food and service, in countryside location
Reviewed September 4, 2012

It's dubbed a 'gastro pub' which I took to mean excellent food and service at restaurant prices. I'm happy to pay for good food and it was for a special occasion , albeit last minute.
Midweek , Tuesday and I had a 'Rack of Lamb', my partner had a chicken dish . I'm not greedy , but three very very small ribs from a lamb that clearly died of starvation is not my idea of enough. I mean if it was two ribs it wouldnt be a 'Rack' would it , so shouldn't it be four or more? Seriously the ribs were tiny and without the bones would have weighed about 5oz , that's a RIP OFF for £16.50. Thats not all as the 'jus' had not been reduced properly and was tasteless instead of 'intense'and the 'mash' had beed reheated so it was crispy ( and dry ) on top (not a cooking skill but reheated). Basically it was a disaster. Here are a few tips. If the ribs are so tiny , serve 4 or 5, it wont break the bank at these prices. Secondly check the food BEFORE its' sent out , even an amateur would have critised the 'jus' which was frankly embarrassing. Finally dont serve reheated mash , its just NOT ON. I don't complain , as others wont either, they just wont return !! By the way my partners meal was no better as the chicken was dry and the cabbage was almost raw , and yes we like our veg lightly cooked ( but not almost raw ) .
My advice is GO ELSEWHERE there are lots of better places nearby.

2  Thank sean059

Reviewed August 24, 2012

Eleven of us went for lunch on a Sunday; it was fab. Food very good, we all had different dishes, service great and atmosphere really nice. We have been quite a few times and have always enjoyed the food. The menu is very varied and reflects a good gastro pub. The food is fresh and sourced locally. It is not expensive considering that you get really good quality. Nice view out onto a canal with many barges passing by.
I highly recommend it.

Reviewed August 16, 2012

It must be at least 25 years since we last visited The Saracens when it was a traditional pub which had just started to also serve food. It was good then but the change now is amazing. We wouldn't have believed we were in the same place if we'd been taken in blindfolded!! The interior is very classy, but our only complaint would be the lack of air conditioning in what is now first and foremost, a restaurant. It was extremely hot outside when we visited and I have to say it was the same inside with very few opening windows. It was a bit like being in a greenhouse. However, we visited as a party of eight and the service and food was excellent, if a little slow. We put this down to the number of people eating outside, but we weren't in a rush anyway. Well worth a visit!!

Reviewed July 25, 2012

It's many years since I last visited the Saracens Head and what a change! It was always a lovely place to stop for a drink. The traditional character of the place has gone, but they have transformed it into a really attractive restaurant. I must say it was nice to sit and watch the canal boats sailing by as we ate.

We were there at lunchtime and had a delicious meal. I'll definately return and recommend it to friends.

Reviewed July 24, 2012

Visited on Saturday which was the first sunny day for sometime. The outside seating area was full of young families making the most of the lovely setting alongside the canal. We sat inside which was also very busy but the service was prompt and attentive. There is a good choice of small and large meals, wraps and sandwiches for lunch and although not cheap, it is much better than your average pub food. The deserts are what you would expect from a high class patisserie and are obviously produced on the premises. Drinks are average price and unlike a previous review my lime and lemonade was £1.90. The interior is simply but tastfully furnished with the chandeliers adding a nice touch. Would recommend and have already planned to visit the weekend after next with a couple of my golfing friends.