“Parelli workshop and Rainforest Trek with David Lichman”
Review of Barking Horse Farm

Barking Horse Farm
More attraction details
Owner description: Welcome to Barking Horse Farm where we love our horses and train them with the gentle techniques of (Parelli) Natural Horsemanship. We would love to give you the best vacaton ever. We offer you trail rides on our fantastic horses from an hour, to a day, or even a week. Choose between staying at the farm and enjoying the rugged mountains, tropical forests, rushing waterfalls, pictuesque rivers, breathtaking views and quaint little towns that surround the farm or join us on one of our week long horseback riding treks that take you from the farm in the mountains all the way to the beach where you pass through different ecosystems every day. If you want to learn more about Natural Horsemanship we host (Parelli) Natural Horsemanship workshops through out the year.
Reviewed August 9, 2013

This was the most amazing vacation!!! If you want to be surrounded by horses, beauty and adventure, then this is the trip to take. I was extremely impressed with Liz's horses. They were so well cared for and really enjoyed their jobs! Liz and her team took care to match up horses with riders, making sure of saddle-fit for the comfort of both horse and rider. It was amazing to travel across Costa Rica by horse in places that your typical tourist never gets to see. The accomodations were incredible because the families that welcomed us into their homes to sleep and eat showed us Costa Rican life, food,culture and hospitality. I also thought the trip was very well organized. The rides were not too long or too short and there was plenty of time to relax and have a beer at the end of the day and enjoy the company of new found friends. I am definitely going back to do it again!

All reviews
in 2 reviews
"joy"
in 2 reviews

Reviewed August 9, 2013

If you love horses, adventure, learning, and being more than a tourist--this is a trip for you. Having Teri help me get to know my horse for 2 days before departing for our adventure was a privelege and allowed me insights into my mare's abilities and confidence in her willingness to go everywhere that was asked of her. Liz is to be commended on the health and condition of her horses. Ours was the last trek of the season and they were still in good weight and attitude. Accomodations ranged from hotels to family homes to farm and ranch bunkhouses. As they say-variety is the spice of life. Loved meeting all of our hosts and spending time with them. When not on horseback, we had time to hike and explore, tour the eco-farm, swim in waterfalls, zipline, move cattle and play on the beach with our horses (or just let them chill and so could we). The variety of terrain gives something for everyone to enjoy-from mountain riding to rain forest to beach was quite a change. The food was always fresh and well prepared but you do gain a new appreciation for rice and beans. I will be back to ride with Liz in the future to explore more of the beautiful country of Costa Rica.

Reviewed August 9, 2013

My time at Barking Horse Farm in January 2013 was the experience of a lifetime. Firstly the perfect summer temperatures were a great relief from cold winter. I so much enjoyed having David Lichman give a two-day clinic. He is fun, easy, and knows just the right thing to help if you need a slightly more advanced technique. Plus it is great to spend a couple of days getting to know your horse before you set out. The horses were, to a one, terrific, Parelli savvy, well-cared for, honest, safe and friendly. The food was fabulous - fresh juices from local fruits was a super treat. Liz herself, is a fascinating, fun, and easy person to be around, so well-organized and un-officious. Her help are young people from around the world, charming, useful, and good company. I met great people, other riders, from around the world too. The views on the trip - trees, flowers, mountain tops, river crossings, plantations, the sea...so memorable. Swimming in the rivers, hikes, chocolate factories, zip lines, local people, nothing touristy, all make the trip something I will talk about forever, and hope to experience again. I was 73 when I took this trip, and it was all perfect for me. Caroline McCoy

2  Thank 937JanetB
Reviewed March 24, 2013

I spent three amazing days at Barking Horse farm, in March 2013. The owner, Elizabeth is a really nice woman and the girls who was working there, Samina and Rosemarie were such sweet girls. The food they cook for you is really good, with homemade juice, yoghurt & granola etc.
The horses are nice and easy to ride and the rides are amazing, especially Puente Fiero, where you ride to a river and take a break and swim in the cooling water.
The place and the environment is so peaceful and I had a smile on my face every minute of my stay at the ranch!!
Anna-Sweden

BarkingHorseFarm, Manager at Barking Horse Farm, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Thank you for such a lovely review, it was a pleasure having you and probably one of the most memorable rides for Rosemarie and I!

We are so happy to hear you enjoyed the horses, trails, and our home-cooked meals!

Hoping to see you next year for another Farm Stay or even a Multi Day Trek to the beach.

Samina
Marketing Manager
Barking Horse Farm - Costa Rica

See more reviews
Reviewed February 6, 2013

If anyone is thinking of an adventure on horseback, this is the ride for you! The main thing I was looking for was not just the trek in a beautiful place but the fact that the horses were taken care of properly. These horses were cared for like my horses. Liz is a very conscious animal person and it reflects in the way she also cares about her people on the trek. I would recommend this trek to anyone that is looking for a memory of a life time. You do need to be experienced in horses to really appreciate and enjoy the trek. The 2 day Parelli Clinic is a really great way to get to know the horse you will ride for the next 8 days. Even if you are not a Parelli savvy member it is a great way to learn more about horses and to really help you enjoy the trek with your horse.
Thanks Liz, for doing all the planning and letting us experience this ride.
Sue and Charlie Krul

2  Thank Sue K
BarkingHorseFarm, Public Relations Manager at Barking Horse Farm, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2013

Thank you so much for the great review! We are so happy you had a great time enjoying the views, and most importantly the horses!

Liz is always trying to find great riders her great horses, and she couldn't have asked for better with you two!

Please come join us on another trek in the future!

Samina