“Welcoming and interesting”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Santiago de Puriscal
Las Alturas de Puriscal
Reviewed July 31, 2013

We stayed with Bob and Patsy for three nights when we first arrived to Costa Rica at the suggestion of our friends. It was an excellent introduction to the expat/retiree way of life in Costa Rica. The first night they had two groups of guests over for a delicious meal and we were easily welcomed in to their conversation, which was lively and interesting. We immediately got the sense that Bob and Patsy would do anything for a person - be it a guest, a local, or just someone who needed help. The second night was just us and them, and the third night was a dinner out with even more local expats. Patsy is a fantastic cook, using local products and even home grown where possible. She has a focus on healthy, but substantial, meals and we were never hungry afterwards.

Part of the draw of Las Alturas is the friendship they exude. Because you are brought into their house, they engage you with conversation, playing games, joining their activities, etc. If you enjoy talking about issues and are comfortable with your own opinions, they make for very interesting hosts that will provide you with some intellectual ideas to ponder. To address an earlier review, my wife and I are left-leaning and we felt perfectly accepted. Of course, in our general lives we have many friends that do not agree with us about everything, but that makes life interesting.

They have a nice property and we went on a few walks. Coffee is excellent, they have horses if you wish to go for a ride. However, the main reason to stay are to relax over some good food and enjoy some good company, all in a real Costa Rican environment.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

We have stayed at Bob and Patsy's each July when we visit Costa Rica for the last several years. We found them quite providentially one summer when we needed a 3 bedroom cottage for the whole month of July with our grown children. NEVER have we found more warm and welcoming hosts who became immediate friends. They have bent over backwards to help in so many ways...with local culture, translation, and you name it. These two folks are so darn loveable, it's like coming home to lifelong friends. Patsy is an amazing cook and both are very animated and talented people. You can't help but enjoy them. We appreciate them and This is a very clean and comfortable home for reasonable.rates and terrific breakfasts.Think that that B&B is a bright spot not to be missed when coming to this area in Costa Rica.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed May 1, 2013

What a wonderful place and a terrific find. I was referred here by Barking Horse Farm after a broken clavicle prevented my original trek plan the month before. I couldn't feel luckier. Bob and Patsy were wonderful. Picked me up at the airport at 5 AM. I spent a week there and it was exactly what I needed . Wonderful fresh fruit and great food. The View from the front porch has to be one of the best around. The birds and Costa Rican sounds in the morning sitting in the swinging basket chair drinking Bob's delicious coffee is something I will cherish. Isa their Natural Horsemanship Trainer was great and has wonderful skills. I took several lessons with her and went on wonderful rides, swam with a horse, played in the river, and went to the waterfall. Also enjoyed the company of a family from Chicago who go there often and have a young horse there. I had the privilege of watching a nine year old sit on the horse for the first time and demonstrate the effectiveness of pre saddle training and preparation. If you go don't miss the opportunity to have a massage from Patsy. She is a very talented lady with so many skills it is amazing. Also joined a wonderful Yoga class on the front porch with the local yoga teacher. enjoyed meeting many of Patsy and Bobs friends who have moved to Costa Rica. I hope to be able to return to this wonderful place!

Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Enaychi
Reviewed April 5, 2013

After a lot of dental work my husband and I went to stay at Las Alturas de Puriscal. It was the best place we could have gone. I love horses and my husband had to recovery from dental surgery. Patsy and Bob went out there way to make our stay wonderful. The 300 acres farm is absolutely gorgeous! I took a few lessons with Isa (the Parelli horse trainer). Perfect place to learn and the lessons were great. The Patsy took me on a couple trail rides. The first day we rode we stopped at a beautiful waterfall pool to swim. The horses are well trained and gentle. Patsy made some great breakfast's and dinners and they invited us to join them for a group dinner with others but my husband wasn't feeling well.It was wonderful to swim in the pool and watch the horses take a dip in the pond. Patsy and Bob were warm and friendly and I hope to get back there soon.

Room Tip: We loved the first room w/ private bath. Private but still close to hang out on the deck with chair...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bijoushapiro
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Spent 3 nights with Bob and Patsy as part of the Terri Sprague Parelli clinic. Wonderful hosts and even managed to pull off great breakfasts after high winds had knocked out electricity. Loved the setting and especially relaxing on the patio. Very knowledgable about flora and fauna. Handled our large group very efficiently.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Patricia L
Reviewed February 6, 2013

My husband & I stayed at this lovely B& B for a week. We absolutely loved Bob & Patsy! Such kind sweet welcoming people. The food was wonderful and nutritious, all local. Fruits picked from their own citrus groves made the tastiest juices and desserts. The extensive grounds are lovely, the accommodations simple but pleasant.
I especially was interested in the horses. Isa is a very energetic and knowledgable Natural Horsemanship trainer and leader. She has trained the horses in the Parelli method to be gentle and responsive.
All in all we had a great time and we will be back!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Hugmary
Reviewed January 17, 2013

We have stayed at 'Las Altures de Puriscal' several times, as recently as August 2012, and can highly recommend it. The fresh air, country atmosphere and laid back lifestyle are invigorating, not to mention the views, which are breathtaking. Patsy and Bob are gracious, knowledgeable hosts, very giving with their time and fun to be with. We'll be going back for an extended stay in a few weeks and are very much looking forward to it. And by the way.......great food too!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Roelie E

Been to Las Alturas de Puriscal? Share your experiences!