“Home away from home”
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
Excellent
Captain Vila-Deluxe apartment
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Jo K
Province of Rome, Italy
“Home away from home”
Reviewed July 1, 2015 for a stay in June 2015

Where to start on our amazing stay in lumbarda, must say initial reaction after staying in dubai 5 star and istanbul boutique hotel was a bit of a shock. As the new day dawned and our exquisite view over the ocean from our massive balcony complete with deck chairs was breathtaking.. If you feel you need to get away from the stresses of everyday life this is for you. Zoran and his extended family are the most hospitable people you will ever meet and could not do enough for us. He has a business called korcula adventures complete with his own boat (sorry Zoran can't remember what type but Targa comes to mind - we women don't pay too much attention to these details) the most comfortable boat (we are not the best seafarers either) but not any feeling of sea sickness as Zoran knows his lumarda bay and beyond inside out.. This man is a living legend I don't know how he fits everything in to his day and not once did I see an ounce of tension/stress with any guest. From our original correspondence via email which started well,over 12 months ago with me asking the most mundane questions he guided me all the way to his piece of paradise. Our transfer was arranged from dubrovnik with a,private driver (Luca) my daughter said he looked like GI Jo so knowledable on his part of the world and beyond (his English was amazing)as previously discussed with Zoran we took his recommendation and stopped for lunch in Ston a quaint little town wihose main produce is oyster farming (Ston has the second longest wall apart from the
Great Wall of China) As we are not great seafood lovers and my daughter esp does not like seafood I told Zoran this b4 we committed to the lunch and he assured me that there were other items on the menu other than seafood. How glad I am that we took his advice the lunch encounter to Lumbarda was the most delicious seafood we've all ever eaten (I'm sure we'd all be seafood lovers had we had it this good previous ) my daughter had the steak as predicted and says it's the best meal she'd had since leaving home 2 weeks earlier!! The restaurant name translated into The Captains House and the owner was totally attentive to our requests (I think poor old Luca nearly had a heart attack at what my husband had ordered as he wanted to try just about everything!) The most exquisite platter of seafood arrived b4 us , never to be forgotten, so please if you are going,to,organise a transfer from dubrovnik with Zoran please please take up the offer of lunch on the way- you won't regret it. First day in lumbarda raining much to the my daughters disgust as all she wanted to to was get a European tan! The morning forced us to just kick back, read, relax, catch up on much needed sleep and just be. Zoran offered to drop us off into Korcula town (The birthplace of Marco Polo- whom Zoran is so passionate about didn't know that b4 we got there!) so we went in
about lunch time to have a look around and grab some supplies from the supermarket had a so' so lunch nothing compared to our previous lunch in Ston and couldn't wait to get back out to our little village of Lumbarda (pop 1,000 - yes 1,000) the sun was out we were down by zorans private landing and soaking up the beautiful sun the type you could feel the vitamin :D sinking in (heaven) we live in the tropics and you def. Can't sit like that in the sun. The water I must admit was too cold for me to swim my daughter dived straight in. Later she grabbed a kayak and had a paddle a snorkel was provided at no cost extra for her to enjoy. Next day we headed off to the beautiful island of Mijet (total trip about 8hours) please do not be out off by this length of trip ,once we reached the island we could go with the guide to the top of the island to snorkel etc, but I decided I'd vist the health centre and had a full body massage (much needed after sleeping in about 5 different beds prior to our arrival) I have to say it was not the best massage I've ever had but loved the beautiful orange oil she used on my drying body. My husband just chilled in the village and there was no pressure to do anything we didn't want to. Then Zoran picks us up at 1.15 to board for a lovely lunch/wine delight. Total 12 of us on board so everyone got to talking and swapping travel tips. He moored in a tiny bay as we ate our lunch and then another chance for everyone to go snorkelling/swimming still to cold for me! We arrived back about 4pm and as it was our last night had really wanted to try the local Peke type cooking under an iron Bell. Zorans lovely wife rang every restaurant in Lumbarda to try and get what we wanted unfortunately they all said they needed a day to order the meat (goat - my husband is Cypriot descent so loves this meat) and the cooking time is at least 2 hours - oh well next time, then a knock on our door to say that they had found a local restaurant that could do it but dinner would be about 9-9-30 (how good is that!)
Needless to say our last night was a gastronomic delight and as it happened Zoran was meeting a friend of his at the restaurant for dinner to discuss our return trip to Dubrovnik the next day . He was heading back to lumbarda just as we'd finished our meal so jumped in with him and back to bed for an early morning departure. We had never slept so well while we were there I'm sure the clean sea air has a lot to do with it and haven't slept like that since we left . love you Lumbarda! Toni our driver was there at 9.30am as requested (we had the option of going to Dubrovnik with Zoran by his boat or car) we opted for the drive as it is very scenic . Plus the luggage we had was ridiculous and a direct drop off to airport in Dubrovnik. Stopped only for a coffee on the way back as breakfast was prepared every day by Ana downstairs from our apartment. So lovingly prepared everyday and as we'd been on the road for a few weeks I had a bit of washing that needed doing (we had our own washing machine in the apartment though) I kindly asked Ana would she mind doing a bit of washing for me and was given a no problem can do attitude - bless you Ana. Gosh I think my rambling should cease here but seriously to anyone going to Croatia pls pls go to Korcula and esp stay out at Lumbarda you will not regret one minute. We will def be back in a few years so as we can do other islands unfortunately we only had 3 days and there is so much more of beautiful Croatia to see. Thank you Zoran for your total,professionalism and kindness our holiday will never be forgotten , a great team you have around you in no small part to your organisation skills a true gentleman and people pleaser .
The kyriacous (Darwin Australai)

Date of stay: June 2015
Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Traveling group: Teenagers
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
With millions of reviews and protected online payments, Tripadvisor helps travelers book your home with confidence.
Set up your free listing
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.