“Average Place to stay”

Ranked #2 of 11 Royston B&B and Inns
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Average Place to stay”
Reviewed October 26, 2012

I stayed at the Old Bull Inn overnight recently while on business. I did not arrive until 8.40 but was greeted by a warm friendly receptionist who told me that if i wanted to food she would inform the chef that i had arrived as they stopped serving at 9pm. Great start i thought, but it went downhill from that point. I got to my room (number 5) which was like an oven when i walked in with no obvious temperature control nearby. The decor was very dated and the carpet looked like it hadnt been changed for about 20 years, it was fraying badly and dirty. Their was a green light on the ceiling which was on all night and very annoying. Thankfully I am not overweight as if i was i would have struggled to have a shower without having to keey the cubicle door open it was that cramped.

Then the breakfast, the cooked english was very disappointing, particulary with only one slice of bacon and two of the thinnest chipolatas you will have ever seen...hardly set me up for the day,

I will say however that the bar looked very nice for a social drink.

Wont be staying here again but the location is good for other restaurants bars in royston

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Marco C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Polish first
Hamilton, New Zealand
Reviewed October 13, 2012

I really do not understand what the problem is with other reviewers who did not find the Old Bull Inn as a 1st class place to stay.....

Our room was large with a 4 poster bed sitting area and a very well appointed bathroom.

Staff could not have been more helpful

We held a Family reunion @ the Inn .and with members travelling from Australia and New Zealand the staff did all possible to make our stay an enjoyable one.

We stayed 3 nights and really enjoyed Royston and what the area had to offer ..

Room Tip: Rooms over looking court yard have a great view
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank LASTANZA
North Yorkshire, UK
Reviewed September 14, 2012

This is an inn with eleven rooms, so does not have the facilities of a full-service hotel. It is a traditional building on a quiet high street with a pleasant coaching-inn yard and parking at the rear. Clearly significant money has been spent recently in renovating the rooms to a relatively high standard.
Our greeting was warm and efficient, and the room was clean and well furnished with a very comfortable bed and good quality linen. The bathroom was equipped with a bath and separate over-bath shower. Toileteries were provided and of reasonable quality. Facilities in the room were minimal, being just a TV with few channels and a kettle + coffee but there was a comfortable settee. There was no telephone.
The hotel was peaceful and we had a great sleep. The breakfast the following morning was of good quality and freshly cooked to order. Coffee was very strong but the decaf tasted as though it was instant.
The Old Bull Inn represents good value for money and we would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Billericay, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 11, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Old Bull Inn on 1st June. Immediate impressions were okay. It was slightly shabby but sort of what I expected. The room again was fine. It had a four poster bed and the room was quite large. The decor was again quite shabby but not in a particularly charming or ageless way. Floor boards were very creaky - perhaps to be expected? But in any case annoying. I immediately asked for an iron and ironing board which was not supplied. The lady went straight away to get one. This request was forgotten about and I had to chase again about 30 mins later.

We were awoken at exactly 10.00 by the owner/manager who was literally shouting at us to get out as check-out was at 10am. We were not aware but if we'd 'bothered to check the website' we'd have known. Rushing to get our things together he returned at 10.15am to chase us up. We not best impressed. He was a very rude man and in our 200 odd hotel stays we have never been chased up in this fashion and/or spoken to like this.

This is a typical example of bad english hospitality. There's ways and means of dealing with customers and getting the same result. We were prepared to leave within the same timeframes but this just left a sour note. It's not difficult to get it right. It's just lazy and complacent. Places like this will suffer in the economic climate unless they get the basics right - and they will only have themselves to blame.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Gary C
Stockport
Reviewed June 10, 2012

I was checked in here by my office at late notice.its just been refitted to a very high standard.its kinda funky and very well executed.staff were very good indeed.i had a very good red thia curry and the ale range was impressive.room was very clean and comfortable a hearty breakfast in the morning rounded off a excellent stay.i will be back

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank DrWhoStockport
Royston, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 24, 2012

I held my 30th birthday party here in December 2011 and after having seen previous reviews, I was a bit apprehensive. However we had a great evening and I need not have worried.
We booked most of the rooms and they were all to a high standard, much better than I expected to be honest. The photos on their website don't really do it justice. I hired both function rooms and the staff were really helpful, friendly and accommodating. The manager was very easy going and was happy for me to bring in my own food for the buffet, despite them offering that service. They just let us get on with it and were on hand for us on the day. The only down side was the breakfast - I was a little worse for wear so didn't make it down to breakfast but everyone of my guests said that it wasn't great and the sausages were inedible! But seeing as I didn't even have breakfast, it didn't spoil the experience for me.
If you're looking for somewhere to stay in Royston I would definitely recommend The Old Bull Inn.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank lea020109
Fareham, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 24, 2011

Once you've negotiated the tricky one-way approach into the small hotel car park, and the picnic sets for the smokers, you go through the rear entrance, to the rather dark and gloomy interior. It's immediately apparent that the whole hotel is in need of some serious capital investment. The decor and furnishings in the public areas are shabby and grubby. We had a nice room with a huge sash cord window. The four poster bed had no drapes and was very dusty. The en suite bathroom was surprisingly modern & smart but, even there, the bath leaked and a tap was broken. The bar prices were on the high side. The breakfast was really bad - inedible. We saw a young waiter emptying the dregs from the small milk jugs on tables back into the big jug of milk on the cereal table. Yuck! Reluctant to recommend this hotel but, if you need to stay in Royston, there's not much choice!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the bar area. Also, check if there are any functions booked
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sally M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Royston
Sheene Mill
#2 of 36 in Cambridge
The Crown House
The Crown House
#1 of 1 in Great Chesterford

Been to Old Bull Inn? Share your experiences!