“Thank you”
Review of Palazzo - CLOSED

Palazzo
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
“Thank you”
Reviewed April 1, 2014 via mobile

I would like to thank the staff for making me feel welcome even though I was a woman dining alone.

Had my favourite comfort food, Risotto and it was perfect after a long day visiting an elderly relative.

Next time I'll bring my husband.

1 Thank Lisa S

• Polish first
Royston, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A cut above for Royston”
Reviewed March 30, 2014

First-time poster, prompted by last night's visit to Palazzo for a romantic meal to celebrate our 2nd wedding anniversary, which exceeded expectations.

It had been a while since we last visited this restaurant and what a pleasure to see the place absolutely throbbing with a wide variety of diners. The proximity of the small kitchen to the dining area gives this place a unique atmosphere during a busy service, with the chef-proprietor very much 'part of the action', calling out orders and popping out to mix with his clientele.

It is a testament to the informal but caring attitude of the waiting staff that a family of 5 with three young children appeared equally at home next to a funky couple whispering sweet nothings and recollecting 24 months of married bliss (that's us).

The complimentary olives were a nice touch and kept the hunger-pangs at bay whilst we debated menu choices. The standard menu didn't appear to have changed drastically since we last visited about a year ago, however the specials board always seems to carry items of interest.

I started off with king prawns (from the specials board) and my wife indulged her long-held passion for mussels (from the standard menu). The prawns interacted marvelously with the garlic mayo and rocket and Parmesan salad. Mussels are surprisingly easy for a restaurant to get wrong (either in the raw ingredients or the sauce) but no-fears-here as my wife eagerly wolfed down the lot without giving me so much as a sniff.

Left to my own devices I'm a man of basic culinary tastes and so having feigned interest in the specials board I chose a meat-based pizza and encouraged the kitchen not to be shy with the chili peppers. My wife has a slightly more discerning palette and chose beef rib in a red wine sauce on mashed potato.

With regards to the pizza I was very surprised to read the review of "Wiggler 86", below. Either they got very unlucky or I got very lucky as my experience couldn't have contrasted more. In fact the quality of pizza, in particular the toppings, led me to wonder why anyone would get pizza from anywhere else in Royston. (I think Palazzo do take-away as well).

Anyway, the Pizza was delicious even if I struggled to maintain conversation with my wife through the chili-induced haze. Not that she appeared to mind. She was addressing her rib of beef, which was the real star of the show. From where I was sweating I could just see the tender meat tumbling off the bone into the deep red sauce.

We had left just enough room in the tank to attack a couple of deserts, again chosen from the specials board. It was a raspberry and white chocolate cheesecake for him and a banoffee, chocolate mousse and profiterole 'trio' for her. They were both simply delicious.

By now it was half nine and there was still a decent turnover of tables. They do seem to have a slight issue with the electrics which tripped briefly a couple of times whilst we were there. This only seemed to add to the pleasure of the evening for my supposedly doting wife who couldn't help but notice the rather loose-hipped Italian head-waiter as he sashayed past us and bent down to flick the switch in the electrics cupboard near our table. (I suppose 2 years with the same man is something of an achievement for her).

All-in the damage ran to approx. £50 which, allowing for the fact that we had three courses each plus drinks, I consider to be the sort of excellent value that we've found difficult to replicate in our usual North Herts / South Cambs stomping ground.

My only regret is that my wife consumed a glass or two of the delicious house red which forced her to retire to bed, and she was (pretending to be?) asleep by the time I'd returned from walking the dog.

1 Thank BigDoop
Royston, United Kingdom
“Raw veg”
Reviewed March 28, 2014

Have been many times and always had the same pizza, second one down with prosciutto but fancied a change. I went for the Mediterranean pizza, all roasted veg and tomato sauce and cheese. The dough was raw, the veg was raw and the sauce tasted like water. I sent it back and outlined the disappointments to which they through more water/sauce on and heated it, still raw veg, still tasteless. I was starving and we'd been waiting so I ate it anyway but will not be going back and def will not be recommending anymore. Was shocked they even served raw veg and then returned it!

1 Thank Wagler86
London, United Kingdom
“Family friendly restaurant with very good food”
Reviewed March 23, 2014

We went for Sunday lunch - a small dining room on the ground floor as well as another upstairs floor which wasn't in service at the time but also looked nice. Friendly staff, prompt service. Food better than expected. Bias towards seafood on the menu which suited my wife more than me. But the meat options were solid and the specials were excellent. This is miles above the chain Italians of the Strada's/Zizzi's in the culinary rankings- you can't compare them. And yet as friendly and accommodating as them. Pizza's if you want them but this isn't really a pizzeria - more a mid-range serious restaurant cooking up proper food presented highly professionally. Interesting if shortish wine list with some excellent wines, some new to us, - the usual Italian staples plus some lesser known and highly recommended (by this reviewer) wines from Sicily.

Herts
“Delicious family lunch”
Reviewed February 18, 2014

Our first trip to Palazzo was a great success. A group of eight of us went for lunch, four of which were children. The service was great - friendly and fast. The staff were brilliant with the children, making sure they got their food quickly and even helping the little ones by cutting it up! We were all very happy with the food, both quality and quantity. We will definitely be returning.

Visited December 2013