“Picture the cotswolds and this is what you will see.”

The Slaughters Manor House
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lower Slaughter
Surrey
“Picture the cotswolds and this is what you will see.”
Reviewed March 30, 2013

From the moment we walked into the entrance we were mesmerised. Having looked at the pictures of this amazing hotel for some months prior to booking, we were not disappointed. When we arrived we were asked to wait in the bar, we were glad we were. The furnishings were beautiful with a particularly impressive Andrew Martin Chesterfield by the large inglenook fireplace. In fact we didn't just have a drink before going to our room, we had a marvellous lunch with a couple of nice bottles of red and relaxed the afternoon away before going for a long stroll.

Our room was in the main building and oozed character, the beams, the furniture, the window seat and view over the palace style gardens was simply amazing.

Yes, its is expensive, but you pay for what you get, I cannot rate this hotel highly enough and we will be coming back very, very soon!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
General M, General Manager at The Slaughters Manor House, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear JNBJNB,

Thank you for your review of your stay at Lower Slaughter Manor - it was lovely to read how much you were able to relax whilst you were with us!

I'm sure our owners will also be pleased to hear how you appreciated some of the furniture as they take a very personal approach to the decor of their hotels.

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon!

Kind regards

Abbi & the LSM team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Turkish first
Warlingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 24, 2013

I have been staying at Lower Slaughter Manor for the whole of the Cheltenham Festival Week for the last 12 years and have just returned from staying there from March 11th - 16th. If you want a smaller hotel in the most perfect Cotswolds setting with superb rooms, great food and a new management team who really try to look after you then this is the only place to go. It is not cheap and prices have not come down in the current difficult financial climate and to charge those prices the Hotel really has to deliver which , in our case, it did. The rooms are very spacious and comfortable. The breakfasts were about the best you will get anywhere - superb fresh fruit juices, delicious individually cooked breakfast with local bacon, sausages, eggs etc. - enough to keep you full for the rest of the day. Jamie Raffery, the new chef, has already made a big impact and the dinners in the evening he produced when we were there were simply of the highest quality and enormously enjoyable. One comment I would make is that no hotel gets everything 100% right and it is no good saying nothing if something is not entirely to your liking and then writing about it afterwards on sites such as Tripadvisor. If we wanted anything and mentioned it to Abbi, the new Manager, or to any of her excellent team consisiting of Tom, Matt, Frederic and Vicky they were only too pleased to oblige. Well done Lower Slaughter Manor - we shall be returning again soon.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
General M, General Manager at The Slaughters Manor House, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Dear DavidM4343,

Thank you for your kind review of your stay at Lower Slaughter. I am delighted that after so many years of visiting the hotel, we are still able to exceed your expectations and we look forward to welcoming you back again next March, if not before!

United Kingdom
Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

Food, bedroom, staff are all impeccable and so they should be for the priced they charged. Cotswold price keep apace with Central London prices. Must be the foreign tourists they're after.
Only fault was a very slow breakfast service.

• Stayed March 2013
Dear MichelanTom,

Thank you for your review of your stay with us recently. I was delighted to read that overall you enjoyed your stay, although it is disappointing that we let you down with a lapse in service at breakfast. I have spoken with both our restaurant manager & head chef, who would like to convey their sincere apologies and we are in the process of reviewing our procedures to avoid a repeat of this slow service.

I do hope we will be able to welcome you back in the not too distant future, and you might like to keep an eye on our Facebook page or website as we keep them updated with our special offers.

London,
Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

The manor house is beautiful and we were greeted immediately by a helpful receptionist and another member of staff who seemed to double as porter/ waiter/ general dogsbody! The bedroom was huge and the four poster bed so high that steps were provided to climb onto it. Well appointed bathroom with fluffy towels, robes and slippers. Decanter of sherry , but no tea or coffee making facilities. The five course menu was excellent in a spacious dining room with plenty of room between tables. The wine list was very expensive , Chilean Sauvignon Blanc at £38 a bottle being the cheapest and many wines over £50. The full Cotswold breakfast was perfectly cooked and presented.
When we came to pay the bill, it was £535 - for dinner , bed and breakfast for 2! Fortunately, it was a present from our son , who got a deal from Secret Escapes. I'm not sure how much he paid , but I'm guessing it was about half that- which was decent value- over £500 would be mad!

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Ned65,

Thank you for your review of your stay at Lower Slaughter Manor; the team and I are delighted you enjoyed your break with us!

Whilst there are no tea & coffee facilities in the room, we always provide a complimentary tray to your room in the morning, and on a future stay would be more than happy to put a tea tray in your room, if you mention it at the reservation stage.

We do occasionally participate in these flash sales with the online travel agents, however you might like to have a look at our website for special offers with a more personal service!

In the meantime, we look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Nice, France
Reviewed February 26, 2013

We stayed here a few weekends ago with our baby, dog and grandparents. The hotel was lovely. The restaurant was also a delight.
More importantly the staff were extremely polite, versatile and really paid attention to detail. Everyone form the receptionist booking us in, describing the room, asking the name of our daughter and dog, so there were no surprises when we arrived. The Maitre'D / Sommelier was superb, giving open and uncondescending advice of which wine to pick - and it was worth it! Everyone else was welcoming and helpful, the groundsman cleared the snow off all the guest cars in the morning - a nice touch.
A really wonderful weekend...

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
General M, General Manager at The Slaughters Manor House, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear Marvyn097

Thank you for writing a review of your weekend at Lower Slaughter Manor a couple of weeks ago.

We are delighted you and your family enjoyed your stay, despite the weather and we look forward to welcoming you back, perhaps when it is warmer & sunnier!

Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2013

My boyfrend treated me to a surprise trip to the Cotswolds and thoughtfully booked for lunch at Lower Slaughter Manor last weekend.
What a beautiful location! The village is just perfect and the Manor itself is gorgeous. Although we did not stay here, it appears that there a lot of thought has gone into ensuring that guests are comfortable in their surroundings. I loved the fact that there were wellies by the front door for guests to use during their stay.
My first impressions of the staff were somewhat dissapointing however. A member of staff was not on hand to greet lunchtime diners and we were left hovering about by the hotel reception desk for quite some time, trying to catch the attention of several hotel employees who were wandering around.
The lady who took our orders did not seem very knowledgeable about the menu or drinks on offer. Despite ordering the only bottle of Prosseco on the menu, she had to come back and ask us again which Prosecco we were after and seemed very confused!!
I loved the location of the dining room and the fact that there were lovely views of the garden. The seats were comfortable and I liked the colour scheme. I did feel, however, that a bit of redecoration was required as there are several large stains up a couple of the walls.
One thing that was really quite bizzare was the music that was being played in the dining room. For a start, it was way too loud and the table next to us actually had to ask for it to be turned down as they couldnt hear each other! At one point, some Christmas music was also played which was a little odd for the end of Feb!!!! Perhaps some instrumental music would be better in future?
We were given a complimentary amuse bouche of cauliflower veloute which was delicious and thoroughly enjoyed by both of us. I absoloutely adored my goats cheese starter, beautifully presented and wonderfully creamy. My other half really enjoyed his salmon which was perfectly cooked. For the main course, I opted for the duck which really was extremely tasty. In contrast, my boyfrend's risotto was rather dissapointing. I dont think that the presentation was anything to rave about and it was really rather bland with a lack of seasoning for a start! We both chose the chocolate torte for desert which wasn't anything to rave about really which was a real shame. The people on the table next to us went for the cheese board and it sounded like there were some really good cheeses on offer, perhaps that would have been a better choice.
We felt that the food was very reasonably priced however, the menu apparently included a glass of wine recommended by the sommelier. We didnt even see the somellier at any point during our meal and the glass of wine was no where to be seen and not even mentioned.
All in all, I would say that I did enjoy my meal however, the experience as a whole was a little dissapointing. Perhaps we caught Lower Slaught Manor on a bad day but I think that there are a few tweaks and improvements to be made. Saying that, I would still recommend a visit as the setting really is something to write home about. I think I had a better experience than my boyfriend which is why I have given a 'very good' rating. There is no denying that Lower Slaughter Manor is somewhere a bit special and is most def above average however, I personally expected slightly higher standards from somewhere of this calibre.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Sarah M

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent experience at Lower Slaughter Manor and first and foremost please accept my sincere apologies for an unremarkable visit. Whilst we are saddened that we let you down, we are pleased to receive any and all feedback if it helps us to improve our service.

If I may, I’d like to address your points one by one…

Unfortunately due to a personal issue, the Assistant Restaurant Manager (who is also our sommelier) was called away from the hotel early Saturday afternoon, leaving Susan, our Head Housekeeper (and Duty Manager that afternoon) to support the restaurant team until the Restaurant Manager could arrive. It was Susan who took the order for the Prosecco and she is embarrassed that her knowledge of the menu is not what she would have liked it to be. Normally the Duty Manager would be at the door if the porter & receptionist were checking guests into a room, however on Saturday, as you know Susan was helping in the lounge & restaurant instead, leading to the lack of welcome you received.

With regards to the décor of the dining room, we are looking at where we can make improvements. Sadly the wallpaper is no longer in stock and so our owners are considering an alternative scheme to match the curtains that are currently being made. The music is also something we are looking to update (and I am only too embarrassed that the Christmas music has not been removed from the present playlist).

Jamie, our Head Chef and I have discussed your comments regarding the risotto and the chocolate tart and he has advised me he will review his menu to ensure that the seasoning and presentation of these particular dishes are up to standard.

I would like to assure you that this experience is not representative of our usual service and I do hope you will give us an opportunity to show you at our best in the future. If you do choose to return, please do not hesitate to contact me directly (generalmanager@lowerslaughter.co.uk) and I would be delighted to handle your reservation personally.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

We decided to try this venue for lunch on the spur of the moment after having been ignored at the pub across the road. The hotel is absolutely stunning and beautifully decorated. The service was faultless and the food was equally amazing. We had the four course lunch including a glass each of Sancerre wine for £30 p.p. which we thought was exceptional value. We couldn't have hoped for a better gastronomic experience! We would highly recommend this restaurant.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
General M, General Manager at The Slaughters Manor House, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear Melliejones,

Thank you for writing a review of your lunch at Lower Slaughter Manor. Our winter lunch offer has been very well received and I'm delighted you enjoyed it!

With regards to your experience at our sister property, the Slaughters Country Inn, please accept my sincere apologies over the lapse in service you received - I will ensure Stuart, the General Manager is aware so he can address it with his team.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lower Slaughter
#6 of 6 in Broadway
Cotswold House Hotel & Spa
Cotswold House Hotel & Spa
#2 of 3 in Chipping Campden

Been to The Slaughters Manor House? Share your experiences!