“Great centre for the Cotswolds if the price is right”

The Slaughters Country Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lower Slaughter
Dorset
“Great centre for the Cotswolds if the price is right”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

The website gives the impression of an ancient inn, which the bar section is, but the rest is new, though nicely designed. In reality most of the bedrooms are motel style in two wings at the rear, though with doors either side it does not feel like a motel. The accommodation is a ground floor sitting room, with staircase to first floor bedroom. Comfy 6ft bed, and nice pillows and duvet. Window side has sloping roof so a hazard if you forget. Nice bathroom with powerful shower over bath.
Tea making downstairs is hassle as basin for water is upstairs.
We did not have wifi as end room, but wifi in bar to pick up messages.
Dining room is walled in mirrors. Food ok.
Happy faces at reception and nice looking waiters add to the occasion.
Cross the road to the sister hotel which is very stylish, or walk a mile to Upper Slaughter Manor.
Loved the tongue in cheek of using a blood red chandelier in the Slaughters!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank MS31Dec2015
BOB31, General Manager at The Slaughters Country Inn, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear Palladwr, I am very happy that you enjoyed your short break with us.
I would just like to confirm that not all of our accommodation is ground floor, we have 12 cottages which have ground floor living space and an upstairs bedroom and 3 other ground floor rooms, are other 15 rooms are all located in the main house on the first floor
Stuart

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Sevenoaks, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 25, 2013

My husband and I planned to arrive on Friday lunch time as we were meeting my sister and husband arriving from Cornwall. However I had a call on the night before to say that the hotel had been hosting a car launch and that we were not arrive until 3 pm or after. When the 4 of us did check in later on Friday we found that they were in the hotel and we were in a cottage in the hotel grounds. A disapointing start to the weekend as were hoping to be put in rooms close to each other. However on the upside our cottage "Lonsdale" was lovley, comfortable, warm and inviting. The food although a little pricey was excellent and the service, second to none. Due to a large party having dinner we were advised to eat at 6.30 or 8 pm the to staff serving the group. We did order at 8ish and were very pleased with the promptness in which we were served. The bar and restaurant staff were excellent, friendly and efficient. Reception staff did their best but I got the impression that they thought I was being unreasonable by aksing to be near to my sister. Also our room wasnt made up on the Saturday, we had to ask for extra supplies. It is a lovely hotel and I would stay again but would ask if there were any pre-booked, launches or large groups staying at the same time. Communication is key.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gumnutsyd
Dear gumnutsyd, thank you for your kind review. I look forward to welcoming you back soon
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

I stayed for 2 nights at the hotel with my wife for our first wedding anniversary. The hotel is beautiful. It's one of those rare places where the reality is better than the pictures. Lower Slaughter is a beautiful part of the Cotswolds, walking distance to Bourton-on-the-Water and a short drive to Stow. The hotel has a beautiful river running alongside it and is an old building with low beams and a roaring fire. Our room was fantastic with a free standing roll top bath by the window overlooking the river and a huge bed. I would give the hotel a 5 but for a few things: our room was truly beautiful but noisy - you could hear the room above very loudly and the front desk had no ear plugs. The hotel is very relaxing and the bath a feature but no bubble bath or bathrobes are provided to fully enjoy it. The staff service is great, although they knew it was our first anniversary but did nothing to acknowledge it. This marks it apart from a 5 rated hotel which provide these special touches. Overall a lovely hotel, would highly recommend staying here when you visit the Cotswolds.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DavidMoss14
BOB31, General Manager at The Slaughters Country Inn, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear DavidMoss14,, thank you for your review, and your recommendation.
I hope we can welcome you back soon
west sussex, england
Reviewed March 20, 2013

When I discovered that this property was in the same group as Gidleigh Park my hopes were high as that must be one of the finest hotels in the world. I was a guest of a motor manufacturer which had taken the hotel over for a launch event. Arriving in the late afternoon we requested a pot of tea and some biscuits and were surprised that no biscuits were available. The room in the main house was fine except that there was a downlighter out in both bedroom and bathroom. The room was also cold owing to just one small radiator in a large room. Wifi was free which was good but reception was patchy. The bed was excellent with proper down pillow and duvet but my lie-in was disturbed by the loud voice of the receptionist at the desk in the hall below my room. She seemed to start talking at the top of her voice from around 7 am and was still doing so when I finally arose at 8:20!

The host had unfortunately chosen roast beef and Yorkshire pudding for dinner which is always a mistake with so called 'fine dining restaurants'. The roast potatoes and Yorkshires had obviously been cooked some time before and heated up and were hard and unpalatable. Even the beef was not good. The only highlight in the food department was the Calamari in the otherwise average 'Tapas' lunch buffet which was perfectly cooked and superb.

Apart from the loud receptionist, the staff members were excellent.

Room Tip: Don't choose a room anywhere near the receptionist.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank mutley8
Dear mutley 8, thank you for your review, we are indeed part of the same group of hotel as Gidleigh Park, but as a group of hotels we are all very individual and offer many different things, at some very differing price points. I hope you would appreciate that we aspire to all of the true values that Gidleigh holds true to, but we are an Inn and not as you put it one of the finest hotels in the world.
I will address all of your points with the rest of the team, thank you again for your feedback, as it is only through constructive guest comments we can move forward
Tetbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

Having ordered, inadvertently, a dish with shellfish - I have an unfortunate allergy - staff took back dish and another salmon was prepared and served. I had to ask bar staff to clean table and this was done promptly and without fuss. Despite no seafood on plate, extreme stomach cramps and raised temperature throughout the night. Disappointing, as enjoyed lunch. Have visited many times and will again.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Galathea64
Dear Galathea, I am sorry you were not well due to your unfortunate allergy, my advice would be to always ask if you are unsure of any item on the menu, my team would only be to happy to check or explain, I am pleased that you will return. Stuart
Perth, Australia
Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I overnighted here while sight seeing in the area and were lucky enough to get the Penn room. Lovely building and gardens. The room was delightful with new bathroom and comfortable bed.
The Inn has two dining choices which is very convenient.
We enjoyed our stay!

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Ani0707
Dear Ani0707, I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay. Penn is my favourite classic room too
Best Wishes
Tipperary
Reviewed March 17, 2013

The setting is unreal. I stayed here with Boyle Sports during Cheltenham. They did not tell us where we were staying until we got there so this hotel was a nice surprise.

We were in the cottages which are very spacious and warm, modern TVs and not a speck of dirt to be seen. The finest hotel bathroom I've seen in Hawerty! Good quality showers.

The food there is worth a mention. Had dinner in the bar but the only thing that you could find fault with was the price. The food is a tad bit over expensive. Great choice and also for breakfast. Options such as eggs Benedict were on offer with the usual. Although, The bar needs bar stools!

The staff were very friendly to say the least. Myself and my brother kept them up most of the night without trying to get us to go to bed. The night porter was surprised to see us so fresh the next morning. Got a tip from a former classmate of local jockey Twiston-Davies. He didn't win but I did get a handy return so thanks.

Lovely place..Highly Recommended!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Robert M
Dear Robert M , I am so glad you had a nice stay with us for the Gold Cup week. As I have said on here before we do listen to our guests, so this morning I have placed an order for some bar stools!
I hope we see you all again next year or even before
Regards
Ellenborough Park
Ellenborough Park
#2 of 22 in Cheltenham
Number Four at Stow and Cutler's Restaurant
Number Four at Stow and Cutler's...
#2 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold
The Manor House Hotel
The Manor House Hotel
#3 of 3 in Moreton-in-Marsh

Been to The Slaughters Country Inn? Share your experiences!