“Wonderful Tearoom-Don't be deterred by the shop!”

The Old Mill Museum
More attraction details
Owner description: Old Mill Museum, Gifts & Local Crafts, Handmade Organic "Ice Cream Parlour", River Cafe & Tearooms by the river.
Useful Information: Stroller parking
Oxford, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Wonderful Tearoom-Don't be deterred by the shop!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

I was in the Cotswolds last weekend and was lucky enough to visit the wonderful tearooms at the back of the mill. The food was excellent, ambience relaxing and the staff (brother and sister I believe) courteous and friendly. They wholeheartedly welcomed us and our beagles, the latter receiving biscuits and water without even having to ask!

I was less impressed with the retail side of the business. The shop staff were dismissive and rude with the young girl only interested in her mobile phone. The museum was simply a rip off.

I want to make it clear that this is review of the tearoom and not the shop/museum as I feel it would be unfair to group the two together. I can only assume that the tearoom is run under separate management-which it must be to have such a hugely different approach to customer service.

Don't let the negative reviews of the shop let you miss out on such an amazing hidden gem as the tearoom. I can't help but believe that if the poor lady whose review appears below had visited the tearoom the reception would've been very different. Her dog may even have got a biscuit!

I

2 Thank Sarah J

nottinghamshire
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“disability discrimination behaviour from staff”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

Spending time in the Cotswolds with old friends, on one of our 3-4 times a year for the last 8 or so years visits, we went to lower slaughter old mill museum. We wanted an ice-cream. I need to say I am a pensioner with a fully trained and qualified assistance/support dog. I have a significant disability - which is not apparent on first seeing me.

We went into the cafe and joined the ice-cream queue. A man - owner/staff member approached and said, we do not allow dogs in here. I responded, politely, that it was OK he is my assistance dog. He does wear a bright red coat with assistance dog written on it!

He responded badly saying he wasn't interested and the dog had to get out. I said I have my ID and took it out to show him that me and my dog have the right to be in the shop.

He then Demanded loudly and close to my face, "are you blind!" Clearly I am not. He took my ID card and wrote down some details in the back of the parlour.

He came out saying I was like a policeman handing him my ID and then shouted several times, "get out get out now"

I did go. My dog had just stood their quietly the whole time and quietly walked out with me.

I found this upsetting, embarrassing and it made me angry.

Such ignorance by a shop who should know the rules on assistance dogs. This is in fact disability discrimination!!

It will be followed up through the right channels but in the meantime people should think very carefully about supporting a place where the staff/owners behave so badly and offensively to customers- a pensioner with a disability!!

Is the man who shouted at me the owner or is he/she unaware of how his/her staff are behaving??

18 Thank rachel n
Chepstow
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Disability discrimination”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

I have just come back from my short stay in the Cotswolds which was excellent apart from an ugly scene which I stumbled upon when I went to buy a ice cream in The Mill Lower Slaughter. I saw the owner bullying and verbally abusing a lady, who had a well trained disability assistance dog, questioning her why she had to have the dog and was she blind, belittling the lady in front of all the other customers. He then started shouting, “Get out! Get out of my shop!” The lady with the disability dog appeared extremely upset. I approached her outside the shop to see if she was ok and she had her friends with her.
I was deeply affected by this blatant abuse and discrimination that I had to make my feelings known.
I have been in retailing for over forty years and have never experienced anything like this before! I also have a retail business and if any of my staff should speak to a customer like the owner of The Mill Lower Slaughter I would dismiss them on the spot!
So if you have a disability assistance dog and you do not want to be bullied, shouted at or abused give The Mill Lower Slaughter a miss.

14 Thank mojo758
San Francisco, California
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 179 helpful votes
“avoid the museum, enjoy everything else at Old Mill”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

The Old Mill is a beautiful place to visit. The Old Mill Shop is also a beautiful shop to visit with many interesting Old-Mill / Cotswold-related items to buy as well as a yummy ice cream parlor in the corner of the shop. The Old Mill museum though, is a rip-off and should be avoided. Admission price is more than 3 pound for adult and 2 pound for children for one very small room museum (4x5m at the most) that will take you less than 5 minutes to see all the items there.

The one star refers to the museum as this is suppose to be the review of the museum only.

9 Thank joanna07
Perth, Western Australia
64 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 104 helpful votes
“An idyllic setting in Lower Slaughter”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

We have visited the Slaughters a couple of times on trips to the Cotswolds and on each occasion have visited the Old Mill. It is very quaint and set in an idyllic position and has a variety of good quality gifts and cards to choose from. It really takes you back in time strolling through the village.

Parking in Lower Slaughter is at a premium so you will have to be lucky to get a parking spot but just be patient as it is worth persevering. It is magical walking along the river and enjoying the scenery around you.

Visited July 2012