“The perfect place to unwind and fill your boots with delicious food and drinks”

Milsoms Kesgrave Hall
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kesgrave
Chelmsford, Essex
Reviewed May 8, 2014

My husband and I decided to stay at Kesgrave Hall relatively last minute. Our first wedding anniversary just so happened to fall on Easter Sunday this year so we were dogged by the school holidays pushing up prices and limiting availability most everywhere and the fact that little would be open for us to explore in towns/cities on this date. Having a rare night away from our little one we decided rest, relaxation and luxury was the best course forward and this is when we stumbled upon the 'Spring into Milsoms' offer - £230 for bed and breakfast, bottle of Prosecco, afternoon tea for 2 AND a 3 course meal for 2 with free choice from the hotel restaurant menu. This seemed to good to be true, but having read so many fantastic reviews on Trip Advisor we decided to book. And Kesgrave Hall did not disappoint!

As we arrived we were absolutely stunned by the beautifully maintained grounds and building. Being Easter Sunday lunchtime the bar and restaurant was bustling which we took as a good sign. It appeared that many locals came here specifically to dine which gave us confidence in the restaurant.

We had to wait a little while to check in, but this wasn't a problem. And when we did we were greeted by a very lovely lady who personally walked us to our building - we were not in the main house but the White House building to the side of the restaurant. Having booked so last minute we were not expecting much from the room at all assuming that all the decent ones would already have been allocated. However this could not be further from the truth! Our room was exceptionally big, with a huge bed, sofa, free standing TV/DVD player, roll top bath at the foot of the bed, a shower area and double sinks with a separate toilet for privacy. Our lovely chilled bottle of Prosecco was waiting for us, as well as a delightfully well stocked mini bar with an array of complimentary soft drinks in and tea/coffee-making facilities plus the usual biscuits. We were absolutely stunned and delighted.

We made our way over to the bar for afternoon tea where my husband was elated to find a great range of beer, including his favourite Sam Adams which he hardly comes across anywhere. Afternoon tea was delicious. Just the right amount, especially considering we were just starting our eat-a-thon! The sandwiches where refillable if you wanted and they were deliciously fresh.

After this we retired to our room and as it was a rainy day we decided to take the hotel up and borrow a DVD from their complimentary collection which was surprisingly varied and not too dated.

Later we returned to the restaurant for dinner which was nothing short of fabulous. My husband made the most of free reign over the menu and selected the sirloin steak for his main, while I went for lamb which was cooked to perfection. All courses were delicious and not too heavy or tight on portion size. I took the opportunity to sample some of their cocktails too - the bar staff were excellent and really friendly. Nothing was too much trouble. After this we retired to our room again and had a blissful nights sleep feeling thoroughly well fed and oiled!

The next morning was warm and sunny so we took the opportunity to walk around the grounds, which although not extensive were very well maintained. We then capped off our stay with breakfast where we could choose from cereals, fruit, pastries, juice as well as our choice from the cooked menu. Again, the food was delicious.

We rolled out of the hotel totally stuffed, but really impressed with the experience we had there. It couldn't have been a better (or perhaps more indulgent) way to spend our anniversary. Thank you Kesgrave Hall.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 24 in the White House and couldn't recommend it more. It was very spacious, al...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Felixstowe
Reviewed April 29, 2014

Wife and I were scheduled to move house (on her birthday!), and after the weeks of stress and preparation and a house full of packed cardboard boxes, decided to take time out and treat ourselves to a night away, just 15 miles or so from where we live. Had stayed at other Millsome's establishments and had always enjoyed the. Had eaten at this one before and were always uber-impressed. Thought we'd see what it was like to stop over.

We weren't disappointed. Despite a late booking, we got a fabulous room overlooking a courtyard with a stunning walk-in wet-room. The room was so (I have to use the word) sexy, reminded us of the Malmaison approach to individual and querky interior design.

The food, needless to say, was superb.

Overall, not cheap. But quality at this level never is.

Go on, treat yourselves!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
New York
Reviewed April 26, 2014 via mobile

We really enjoyed our last minute stay at this beautiful, traditional yet fully modernized hotel. The room was very clean, fully updated and well appointed with a large comfortable bed and bright airy feel. The whole atmosphere of the hotel was bright and vibrant and all the staff were really friendly. A real treat.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Leicester
Reviewed April 23, 2014

I was recently invited to Kesgrave Hall for a 50th birthday party in their new venue, The Hangar. I am a fan of KH anyway so was very much looking forward to the evening. It was outstanding! The venue is a new addition to the hotel but takes on the same quality and level of service. Over 200 guests enjoyed perfectly cooked beef - which cannot be easy. On arrival we had cocktails and canapés before the curtains parted to reveal our party venue for the evening - stunning. Inside is a star lit black interior which makes for a Oscar Awards style environment - the evening was themed as black tie and new dresses so it all worked perfectly. We had an excellent live band, opening with the latest Pharrell Williams track which was followed by a DJ. I think there may have been a few toffee vodka's along the way as by midnight I was dancing superbly!! I've now stayed at Kesgrave for business, as a family of 5 before heading to the coast and now to attend a party with over 200 guests - and it just works every time. Well done again Kesgrave Hall....!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank DanBarber74
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 23, 2014

We stayed at Kesgrave Hall during a recent road trip across to Suffolk. The hotel sits in lovely wooded grounds on the edge of Ipswich and is easy to find. There is some parking close to reception but the majority is in a car park up a quite steep hill from Reception. The hall has a large conference/wedding venue built on the rear and I suspect it would be incredibly busy if you were unlucky enough to stay when an event was being held. Fortunately it was very quiet for our stay. All the staff were very friendly, helpful and polite. Our room was in the old house just above reception and, although not large, had everything we needed including free wifi. The bed was large and comfortable.There was a free mini bar containing bottled water and soft drinks that was replenished every day. The staff even put a jug of cold milk in there for your morning tea/coffee...impressed. The only noise came from the office below our room and a delivery at 4.00 am outside our window ...but not a problem. Hotel decor was all a bit odd with neutral colours and a slightly surreal American theme which seemed a out of place in an English country house. The restaurant was really excellent on both nights we ate there. You can't actually book a table but residents seem to get priority and, eating quite early, it wasn't an issue. Very extensive menu with a specials board. Sightly quirky process where you make your order by filling in a pad left on your table and giving it to the waitress or taking it to the food point. Never done this before but it worked OK. The kitchen (Chef's theatre?) was open to view if you like that sort of thing. The restaurant was very busy on both nights which says something about its quality and value for money. Service was nicely paced and staff, again. excellent. Breakfast was again very good with usual choice of hot food and a pretty good cold self service buffet.

The hotel is well located for local attractions such as Sutton Hoo and Flatford Mill. Overall it was hard to fault and very good value. We would certainly stay again.

Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 20, 2014

I've eaten here in the past a number of times and you can't help but be impressed with location and the building, its stunning. Sadly, when it comes to dinner, everything else is far from stunning! I so wanted this place to be good, but its not and I'm writing this after having the same experience at least 4 times. So its not just a bad day for them!
We didn't book, but it was fairly quiet when we went to the bar. Instead of showing us to the table, we were told to help ourselves. In a place like this, I would have expected to be shown to the table. We chose a table by the window and the barman bought our wine out, but upon inspection, the table was actually dirty. It had been cleaned, but not well and we shared our meal with the last customers pumpkin seeds and other flotsam. You could tell it had been wiped over, but it had that sticky look, like the cloth used, had just cleaned the floor and not been rinsed. It was at this point that we noticed that the table was actually reserved for the hotel guests, but the barman didn't say anything, so we stayed there. The tables themselves are made of a rough pine, quite rustic, but where the wood had been joined, it has warped, resulting in large cracks that are full of old food. I scrapped my finger nail in one and what came out, I can only describe as what might be under your toe nails, if you'd spent a month in the trenches in world war one, without a wash. Perhaps we were just unlucky and this was table was actually reserved for a particularly unpleasant hotel guest, but I don't think so. All the tables looked exactly the same. The cutlery was duly delivered, sadly this to was a bit grubby, not really bad, but some water stains and on my knife, definitely some food that had not quite been washed away. This I could almost forgive if I were in 'Jacks Cafe', but the prices here are at the higher end. The glasses with the wine were not particularly clean either, nothing to bad, but just lacklustre and worn out. Like they'd been in the dishwasher a few to many times. We considered the menu, mine had been written over in pencil, perhaps by the previous customer or their children, again okay in the Café, but not here. So to ordering food! If I'm honest, I don't like having to write my own order on a piece of paper and then get the waiters attention to deliver it to the kitchen. Its just ridiculous that a place at this end of the market does it this way. I know they do it in their other restaurants, but its a crap idea and cheapens the experience. I don't know of any other restaurants that do this and perhaps they should ask themselves why that would be. The starter arrived promptly and my partners duck spring role was delicious. Sadly for her, I ate half of it, because my pea and goats cheese tart was soggy and greasy. I could hardly taste the goats cheese and the pastry was just dripping with 'dripping', so to speak. It showed a lack of skill and finesse, that the chef was unable (or unwilling) to make a tart with firm pastry. After what seemed like an eternity, the mains arrived. My beer battered haddock was good, nice and crispy, but they mixed up my order. Very simple instructions to swap chunky chips to fries, seemed to fall on deaf ears and I got a plate full of chunky chips and a separate order of fries! If you are thinking that it was my fault because I wrote the order, actually, I asked the waiter when he collected the written order. Clearly, this kind of change from the norm, confused the chap, who is only normally required to pick up a bit of paper and drop it in front of the kitchen. My partner described her Dover sole as mediocre and bland. With all the chips, we were both quite full and declined the offer of a desert. We were then left for at least 20 minutes, to guess at how we get the bill and pay for it, as no one came back over and I think avoided eye contact! There certainly does seem to be a lack of attention, where was the head waiter, how are these guys trained? Not particularly well I think.
Finally, I got ones attention and asked for the bill and got my card out in readiness for when he bought the card reader. I didn't want to be left again for another 20 minutes. I was surprised and disappointed when he told me to take the bill to the bar to pay. This is not a cheap place to eat, but its not a café either and the customers should not be treated as such. Perhaps you could train your waiters and waitresses to take an order and bring the bill and take payment.
Like I said, I really want this place to be good, its on my doorstep and I'd eat here often if it measured up to the location. If you are reading this, try it yourself and feedback. Over the years I've have complained here on at least two occasions for the same reasons I have described, but its still the same, pretty crap really! The only consolation for the meal tonight, was that they didn't charge me for the wine we drank. Its transition from bar to table, somehow was not registered. I guess because we were not shown to our table! Ironic yes, but poetic justice also!
One last thing. This hotel is rated as 1st by trip advisor. As there are no other hotels in Kesgrave, its ranked 1 of 1! Try rating against hotels in Ipswich or Suffolk and it would be way down the ranks.

6 Thank Greg L
Felixstowe, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 20, 2014

We stayed here on one of the winter break deals which included champagne, chocolates and anything of the 3 course dinner menu. They upgraded us to the honeymoon room which was superb, and the food was also fantastic both in the evening and at breakfast. Would recommend this for a weekend treat

1 Thank beano1960
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kesgrave
Salthouse Harbour Hotel
Swan Hotel & Spa Lavenham
The Brudenell Hotel
The Brudenell Hotel
#2 of 4 in Aldeburgh

Been to Milsoms Kesgrave Hall? Share your experiences!