“Reliable as always”

Milsoms Kesgrave Hall
Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Kesgrave
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Our bistro restaurant has everything you would expect, inventive food alongside classics such as the delightful fish and chips, a buzzing but relaxed atmosphere and wonderful service from a friendly and professional team. Although you cannot book at Kesgrave it is open all day! so you can arrive when you choose.
Reviewed January 8, 2014

I'm a fairly regular visitor both here and at the other Milsoms in Dedham. They never disappoint, provided you understand you're eating in a casual brasserie (slightly contradicting the quite grand surroundings of Kesgrave Hall) and not a fine dining establishment (for that, hardtopleasegb, go to the Milsoms' restaurant Le Talbooth and receive the utmost attentiveness, fine cuisine and attention to the smallest details and pay commensurately).

The concept is that the menus are on the tables along with a pad and pencil and, as is clearly explained in the menu, you write down what you want and take it to the service desk. Its a good system which, along with taking no reservations, works well for the style of place it is. The prices reflect the concept, the food is unfailingly good and the staff are friendly and helpful

Reviewed January 8, 2014

I have been to milsoms a few times for meals and afternoon tea I have always been satisfied with the food I live about 35 miles away so I don't use it as much as I would like to bearing in mind that there are so many other choices in the area and I like to find other places to eat

Reviewed January 7, 2014

We were looking forward to going out after new year and know that Milsoms have a no booking policy and got there early. So far so good although surprised that I had to ask for a lime to be added to my vodka and tonic.

A waitress carrying a tray came to tell us they had a free table and instead of carrying our drinks or at least walking us to our table she just pointed us in the direction of it!!

We sat down, eventually got menus and worked out we had to write down the order which seemed odd as there were loads of staff around. We did wrote it down but there were so many queries that it would have been easier if the waitress had taken it herself. They even had to come back later to re clarify!!

Food itself was fine although we did send a steak back which was meant to be rare but was medium and cold but the service was just awful!! Lots of staff doing nothing and although when you got them they were charming they were pretty ineffectual and bearing in mind the price one would expect far better service even allowing for a bit of post Christmas lethargy!!!

Even paying was hard and we had to traipse to the bar to sort credit cards.

Great location but can we see some urgent staff training and some new policies please.

1  Thank hardtopleasegb
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Ate in the restaurant with my wife and two friends last night the 6th January. Food was excellent for all of us although slight negative in that mussels were somewhat gritty. Probably first time I have seen empty tables all night - general post Christmas low funds I guess. Service and menu variety very good as usual.

Reviewed January 5, 2014

I have been here before and also to Milsoms near Colchester and had some good food, but today this was not good, starter of Mussells - no spoon no bowl for shells and no bread, one of the waitress's we had was really nice the other was quite surly, the veggies I had with my main course had seen better days, one of our party ordered a steak which was fine, and a salad with it there was a few leaves on the plate and when he asked the waitress if that was the salad she said she thought it probably was.................such a shame as generally the whole package is good, and food is much better.