“Never again; pretentious and ridiculous.”

Milsoms Kesgrave Hall
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Kesgrave
Cuisines: British, Bar
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Scenic view, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Late Night, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Our bistro restaurant has everything you would expect, inventive food alongside classics such as the delightful fish and chips, a buzzing but relaxed atmosphere and wonderful service from a friendly and professional team. Although you cannot book at Kesgrave it is open all day! so you can arrive when you choose.
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“Never again; pretentious and ridiculous.”
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Having decided to go to Milsoms again, despite previous experiences, I took a Japanese friend for morning coffee and then lunch.
My coffee came with a dirty cup that I had to send back to be washed and her tea pot came with tea dribbles over it. Had to take that back to be wiped and was told that all the tea pots were like that. I did mention that all they had to do was wipe them; a manager said he didn't know why they didn't when I spoke to him. He said he'd not charge for those drinks.
Then my husband arrived for lunch and we went to sit outside at a white plastic table in the sunshine. There were wooden tables under lovely, big, sun umbrellas. My husband went for a menu and I said he should ask if we could eat out there where we were. He was told yes, the same reduced menu as in the lounge.
We chose our food and I went to order it, only to be told that we couldn't eat at the plastic tables, only the wooden ones. When I asked why I was told it was something to do with the kitchen and if we ate there everyone would and we had to eat at the wooden tables. I did point out that we wanted to sit in the sunshine not the shade and that actually I'd like to see a manager again.
This time I got a young woman who gave me the same story. I pointed out that I was trying very hard to like Milsoms but they were making it very difficult and that this wasn't giving my Japanese friend a very good impression of England. She finally said that we could eat out there and in the sun. So out I went to sit at our plastic table, only to see two people leaving from another plastic table, looking disgruntled and leaving a menu on the table. Presumably they had also been told they couldn't eat there, but they didn't complain. And then staff came out to MOVE A WOODEN TABLE AND 4 CHAIRS INTO THE SUN for us. So, we sat in the sun, at a wooden table and had a little food.
What a ridiculous rule they have. I shall never go there again; it is pretentious and staffed by people with little initiative. The new carpet in the lounge is lovely but is not kept swept and staff don't seem to think for themselves. When paying for service I expect service...this place does not justify its prices.

• Visited June 2013
3 Thank camphillian

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Polish first
Phoenix, Arizona
“restaurant devalues hotel”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

A regular visitor to the restaurant, hotel and location excellent, very well and interestingly done
out in officers mess theme.
Visited on a quiet Monday, with ex colleague , expensive salad turned up with rotting avocado .
this was returned to the kitchen only to be returned with the rotten bits cut off !!!
The waitress was unable to split the bill as she couldn't operate the till.
Is this four star service ?

• Visited June 2013
3 Thank quintlowe
“second time unlucky”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I have just had lunch with my 17 year old son, although the hall looks impressive the food was nothing to write home about. My son is at college training to be a chef and I thought it would be good for him to eat here when it is not so busy. The first problem was winding your way through all the outdoor tables to get inside. We ordered a drink and chose a table near the window no 16. The second problem was when the waitress approached us and said "Hello ladies" much to the embarrassment of my son! Thirdly, we ordered smoked salmon bagels I asked if it came with salad, I was told no so I asked for a green salad. When the food arrived there was salad with the bagel and then they brought me more salad. All the salad was soggy and the bagels were not very tasty at all. We ate quickly and whilst paying at the bar we were asked if we enjoyed the food, I said it was average nothing special and the waiter continued to talk to a colleague. I have eaten in in Milsoms Dedham many times and have always enjoyed my food. This was my second meal in Kesgrave, Milsoms the first being soon after it opened where the food was also second rate including banana crème brulee which was black under the sugar. I cannot recommend this restaurant, sorry!

3 Thank Marie S
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“A great place to chill or be chilled.”
Reviewed May 31, 2013

If you want to just eat quietly or be entertained or share with the family, this restaurant is a great place for it. Set in lovely grounds in an old house with huge rooms, the restaurant offers a great choice of well cooked and presented food. Drinks as well are just as important and the beer is good as are the wines and coffees. Dress up if you want or dress down. It seems all acceptable.
Its an hotel as well but I cannot comment of that side of it as I have not stayed there.
One doesn't book so one takes your chance but I have never ever been let down because of ots popularity.
Go there, you'll love it.

• Visited May 2013
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“Lovely atmosphere welcomes you,”
Reviewed May 30, 2013

We just wanted somwhere to have a relaxed coffee and chat, so went to Milsoms Kesgrave Hall. We ordered our coffee's but it was not hot and sweetners were not offered with the sugar choices, in the end, we felt we were being a nuisance and drunk up and left feeling unhappy with our visit. Service was not as expected from an establishment as this. Needs attention in this area!

Visited April 2013