“good food and nice atmosphere”

Restaurant Le MONOT
Ranked #8 of 17 Restaurants in Binningen
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed April 15, 2013

situated near the tram station (tram 10 + 17), it is very easy to find. the food was very good, but the rest can be improved. even if I am having a meal with a groupon coupon, I expect the same service. anyway. asking about the beverages and lamb or chicken, I was first asked and then my girlfriend. when I asked for the bill, they brought it to my girlfriend. ok, we have equal rights etc. - I agree - but for a dinner I still think this is the duty of the man to invite the lady ;-)
the food was good, but for the amount of the coupon it is not enough. compared to other restaurants I have eaten with a coupon, I give it three stars. I would not go back.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

I am Lebanese so I know exactly what to expect in Lebanese restaurants. We took a menu that was suggested by the owner (by the way, they were very nice that they accepted us very late, around 10pm). The menu consisted of mezzé (hummous, aubergine, cheese rolls, falafel, meat pies), grilled meat brochettes and oriental deserts. The hummous was amazingly delicious! same for the cheese rolls and the meat pies. I was disappointed however by the aubergine (metabal) and the falafel: they had no taste. The meat was also very good and tasty. In summary: for 38-42 CHF, it's a good meal. The bad surprise came however from the price of tea (12 CHF for one person) and the bottle of water (10 CHF).

lemonotbasel, General Manager at Restaurant Le MONOT, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

Dear Mrs.

Thank you very much for your important comment, compliment and criticism about our restaurant.

We are for sure not perfect but doing our best to make our customers especially Lebanese feeling like at home ;-)

Please let me comment on your comments:

1- You forgot by the menu to mention the tabboulé salad which also came with the mezze.
We served you 6 Mezze instead of 5 “MONOT QUEEN” so the “metabal”(baba ghanouj) was for free.

2- Instead Fr. 43.00 / 1 Person including desserts and coffee we only charged you Fr. 38.00 / Person. so already you saved Fr. 15.00.

3- The Metabal in Lebanon in a good restaurant is barbecued on a coal barbecue but in Switzerland is very difficult to get an approval for a coal barbecue in the kitchen (we are working on it) our is electrical so for sure when the eggplant is done on a coal barbecue it tastes better.

4- We adapted our falafel to the taste of 99 % of our customers (European and Americans) this means less garlic and spices (we have very small Lebanese / Arab community in Basel it is not like in London, Paris or maybe Geneva...)

5- I mentioned that we don’t make 1 cup Arabic Tee for 1 Person but only a big pot which can be enough for 4 people and your friend agreed with the pot.

6- You took a 1 Litre bottle of Water, the cost of a 3 dl in Basel is between Fr.4.50 – 5.50 so for 1 Litre mineral water in a restaurant is very normal to pay between 9.00 – 12.00 Swiss Francs.

Anyway we were very happy to welcome you and we are very sorry that we didn’t satisfy you 100%.

We will be more than happy if you give us another chance.
Please accept my best Regards,

F. Hage
General Manager Restaurant Le MONOT

Reviewed October 31, 2011

My first review ever before stepping in the restaurant but I have to share this experience.
I tried to find the opening hours of the restaurant but the website was in German and only one page so couldnt find the information. I searched the restaurant in google map to see how I can get there. They also have the opening hours mentioned from 11:00am-11:30pm.
I got there at 3pm and found the restaurant closed. The opening hours on the door were 11am-2pm and 6pm-11pm. Anyway I was disappointed and realized that the hours on google was not accurate. Me and my friend decided to visit the zoo nearby and come back at 6pm for combined lunch/dinner. We got there at 6:30pm hungry and exhausted to find the restaurant still closed. We thought it might open later but then found a paper on the door which said in German that the restaurant is closed on Monday and the interesting thing was that this paper was not on the door at 3pm!!! So we planned all our day to visit this restaurant and we were extremely disappointed that today the owners just didnt feel like opening the place! This doesnt happen in a sausage stand not to mention a highly rated restaurant in Switzerland!!!

1  Thank bintheredondat
Reviewed October 10, 2011

My husband and I have decided on a monthly basis to visit a restuarant that we have not been to before, so this was Month #1 and my choice! I had never had Lebanese before and the proprietor was really helpful when we made our selection. We shared 2 starters from the mezze menu that were delicious and then for main we had chicken and lamb skewers with side dishes including tabouleh, a spinnach pastry, a cheese pastry, flat bread and hummus - all were delicious. The accompanying Lebanese red wine was also very good.

Reviewed September 10, 2011

Went to this restaurant with friends on 28th August on the strength that it was rated Number 2 of 171 restaurants in Basel - what a mistake !
The service was despicable, very slow, food was delivered in fits and starts and the quality was not what we expected.
On the night we were there, the waiter apologised for the slow service and explained that it was because other staff were working at a street fair in Basel.
After asking for coffee and the bill three times we settled up and left.
We will not be rushing back next time we are in Basel ! There are plenty other excellent restaurants in Basel.

1  Thank Accurate-Advice