“Great hotel but shame about the service”

Premier Inn Ipswich North Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Claydon
Reviewed December 9, 2012

I love this hotel, great TV's comfortable rooms and very clean. I stay here at least once a month on business. So when i arrived i knew i would be happy here, all was good room was top floor which i dont mind at all. I went down for dinner at 5.30pm, ordered Ribs and chicken and a pint, the beer arrived in speedy time (Much needed). Getting ready for a good munch some 20 minutes later the waitress (Bless here run of here feet so busy with 4 tables ) came up to me and advised no RIBS!!!! ARGH!!!!! im starving and had to look at the menu again, i ordered a pint again. after 10 minutes she came back and took my order Humph!! i will have to have the steak. (Still no pint?) after another 20 minutes my food came (STILL NO PINT) and actually it was very good a nice piece of steak (BUT NO PINT) i asked where my beer was and she said she was doing it (Perhaps the beer was fermenting) my gripe here is the service not once an apology and not attentive at all i was in the restaurant for 1 hour 45 minutes!!! MADNESS!!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed December 3, 2012

We have stayed here on and off during 2012, so I thought I would summerise my eventful time at "Paper Mill Lane" premier Inn.
The Good...
It is nice to finally have the big screen TV's now
The location is accessible from the A14, and thus back onto the A14 without fuss.
It is also not too far from Ipswich park and ride to get into and out of the town centre.
The couple of times I have eaten I have enjoyed.
Staff are very good at making your stay comfortable by resolving your issues.
Not sure if this is on purpose but it is nice to see they have put the smoking bins away from the front doors, not that this stops everyone but it is a little nicer for those who do not smoke and children..

The bad..
Don't even try to get an ajoining room, they don't have any which is a shame for a family of 2 adults 4 children, and a pain.
Although not a very bad point, but the hotel do seem to take on the odd coach load. While this is generally not a problem, it was when they had a youth rugby team stay. Although the Staff were fantastic at trying to resolve this.
I have never had a great mobile reception, none on O2 and 1 bar occassionally on three. But with O2 all premier inns seem to be a black spot (lead lined rooms?)

The indifferent..
This premier inn tends to have the cheapest rates, although I have to say this is one of the reasons I have picked it, the floors do seem to be made of cardboard. You can "feel" people walk past the room in the corridor, and you can hear people upstairs walking in their room. I guess the good news is that you can not hear them in the other room...

So overall would I stay again, yes I would.. but only if it keeps up the cheap pricing. If it were between this and one of the other Premier inns in the area for the same cost, I have to be honest, I would pick one of the others.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Whitbread-77, Naina - Social Media at Premier Inn Ipswich North Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2012

Thank you for your review.

At Premier Inn our main objective remains to deliver a high level of customer service in all our establishments. We apologise for the service you experienced at our hotel.

Your comments have been noted and will be duly investigated by both Head Office and the Management Team at our hotel.

Please be assured at Premier Inn we take the service provided to all our guests very seriously and your feedback will be duly followed up.

Once again thank you for taking the time to review your stay we do hope that we can welcome you back to Premier Inn in the future.

Naina

Social Media Team,
Whitbread Hotels & Restaurants.

Reviewed November 19, 2012

We stayed at this Premier Inn for two nights after reading the good reviews. We were not dissapointed. The room was comfortable, clean and the large flat screen television was a bonus. Staff were excellent and breakfast cooked to perfection. We would certainly stay again, this was our first experience of a Premier Inn.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 16, 2012

I stayed here for two nights, largely on the basis of the reviews here.

First things first, my room was comfortable - basic, but clean and the bed was a pleasure to sleep in. Plenty of hot water and a spotless bathroom. Absolutely no complaints.

Two things have caused me to rate this hotel as only average. First, the staff. the staff of my first night couldn't have been more welcoming and helpful. I'll name Denise as being a particular star - it was like coming into someone's home. She was on checkout when I left, too, which was a bonus. However, in complete contrast, the staff on the second night were terrible. I came down for dinner to be told that the restaurant was fully booked and I couldn't eat for another half-an-hour. There were lots of empty tables. I can only guess that the kutchen can only cope with a certain number of covers at any one time, and that this number is considerably less than the restaurant's capacity. Nonetheless, the staff were exceptionally unhelpful and only apologetic as a matter of obligation. The manageress was, frankly, offhand and dismissive - almost as if it was my fault.

It's not as if the food was fantastic anyway - am I alone in noticing that the quality of ingredients used at Premier Inns seems poor? The bread for toast, breakfast sausages, hash browns and even the croissants and cartons of jam all have that cheap aura about them.

In short - go here for a good night's sleep in a clean room, but go into Ipswich for your evening meal and buy some croissants from Tesco to eat in your room for breakfast.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Whitbread-77, Naina - Social Media at Premier Inn Ipswich North Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2012

Thank you for your review.

At Premier Inn it remains our main objective to provide guests with a comfortable stay and deliver a high level of service in all our establishments, both in our hotels and restaurants.

We sincerely apologise that on this occasion we failed provide this. Please be assured that your comments will be duly followed up by Customer Services and the Management Team at this hotel.

We hope to welcome you back to Premier Inn in the future.

Naina

Social Media Team,
Whitbread Hotels & Restaurants.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed here for 6 nights in October/November as we had been to this Premier Inn before and were most impressed. We also had family coming over from abroad (as we did) who were due to arrive two days after us, and I had requested adjacent rooms some six weeks in advance by telephone. On arrival we were warmly greeted and allocated a room, but when I reminded the receptionist of our family's arrival in two days time, and my request of six weeks earlier she admitted that this had been overlooked. However, after checking the computer she said that it was possible but we would have to move to a different room in a couple of days. My wife and I accepted this, and went to settle into our room but after five minutes there was a gentle knock on the door and a charming lady said that to save us moving in two days, she had found a family room which would be next door to the room allocated to our daughter and her children, and so we at once moved to this room before we started to unpack. This gesture showed a kindness and understanding that is all too rare these days. Our room was thoroughly cleaned each day and the bathroom was gleaming on our return each evening. Our daughter and children arrived to find their room prepared with 3 beds made up, which made them feel very welcome. The breakfast buffet is comprehensive and the hot food is cooked to order so is hot and fresh every time and not sitting around for hours. We ate twice in the restaurant in the evening, and on both occasions the meals were nicely prepared, although we had a long wait on the second day because they were very busy as it was Halloween, although they did in fact warn us about this in advance. There is ample space in the car park, and no noise at night, so we could not claim a refund under the Premier Inn guarantee. Oh well! We shall certainly return there in the near future, as the hotel is clean and modern having been recently re-furbished.

Room Tip: All rooms are quiet as the double glazing is most effective. There may be some traffic noise from th...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 5, 2012

The hotel was not difficult to find and the reception was friendly and efficient. The room was large, clean and comfortable with a large, new television. Dinner (as part of a package) was good, and the staff were hard working and good natured.

Apparently the hotel was refurbished recently and it looks spick and span. But the lift was out of order.

We had to wait a long time for our cooked breakfast, which was fresh and tasty when it arrived, but the hotel should consider a hot buffet (the continental breakfast is bufffet).

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Usually stay at the Holiday Inn, London Road but thought would try this as it was advertised as much cheaper. Actually ended up paying £149 for 2 nights B&B for 2 which is more than the Holiday Inn. So much for "From £29 per night" !No means of contacting reception from the room (no phone) and therefore drawing attention to noise during the night other than getting up, getting dressed and going down to reception. So much for "Quiet night" promise.
Room was otherwise fine but restaurant was pokey. Definitely not Premier.

Room Tip: Find another hotel !
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Claydon
Best Western Claydon Hotel
#1 of 2 in Needham Market
Holiday Inn Ipswich
Holiday Inn Ipswich
#10 of 18 in Ipswich

Been to Premier Inn Ipswich North Hotel? Share your experiences!