“Great food and lovely atmosphere!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Pelican Inn

The Pelican Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Froxfield B&B and Inns
Manchester
“Great food and lovely atmosphere!”
Reviewed December 5, 2012

Great food, and reasonably priced and good choice of beers, The staff were friendly and attentive to the group I was with, lovely atmosphere, the place has been recently refurbished and had a clean and nice decor, the place is set in a great location, I highly recommend a visit here, will definitely be back again!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 5, 2012

FANTASTIC A+++ such a warm welcome from the moment you arrive , would highly recommend the pelican inn for a well earned break , fantastic food and atmosphere , nice decor throughout , the service was first class , could not ask for more ,will definitely be booking to go back very soon , thanks pelican inn for such a great weekend xx

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

Booked last minute online without checking reviews for an overnight stay as at a trade show in Newbury. Arrived at 6pm to a warm welcome and shown straight to our room.
Soon back down to the bar for some local beer (for hubby), where Luke and Charlie were so friendly and very funny, we talked for ages before ordering our food. My husband had the chicken skewers with 2 dips and I had the chicken liver and smoked bacon parfait, lovely. We then had the specials, a salmon dish and calves liver, also very good. We are greedy so had desserts too! The lemon meringue roulade and sticky toffee pudding, all fab-u-lous! As we were staying we also had a bottle of Rioja. The room was a big one with an extra bed for a child, but used this for our bags, and a sofa too. Our only complaint was the bed is a double and at home we have a king. We are quite tall so found this annoying. The room is more than big enough to take it.
If I was staying in the summer and had the window open I would personally find the road and railway annoying. The breakfast was great and the lady at brekkie was very nice. I heard a guy complain about his basin tap not working, he didn't complain about it the night before, so more fool him! They could've sorted it.
All in all a great stay in a modern boutique pub and we will definitely go back next year!

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Wantage, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I visited The Pelican Inn a couple of weeks ago. I'd been there a couple of years before and had a bad experience, but thought that things must have changed since then. Wrong!
We walked in and were ignored by the waitress, so we walked over to the bar and waited for the lady to acknowledge us - nothing. So we asked whether we could get a table for 2. She took us over to a table, gave us evening menus (this was at 1pm), and took our drinks order. The people at the table next to us were discussing what they were ordering, and it seemed they had a completely different menu. So I went back to the bar to ask if they had a lunch menu we could see, and I was just handed them and told "Yeah, I forgot to give you those".
The barmaid brought our drinks over after about 10 minutes, and said "I'll be back soon", so I replied "We're actually ready to order our food now if that's ok?" to which she replied "I said I'll be back soon". Extremely rude. My mum had ordered a coffee which came with a shortbread biscuit. We were both really hungry after being out all morning, so we shared it while we waited. This biscuit was disgusting! It tasted like it had been sat in a bowl of chopped onions.
Our waitress was just wandering around (there were only a few other customers) and she went back and stood behind the empty bar a couple of times. By this point, it had been 15 minutes since she said she'd be "back soon". We caught the attention of another waitress, and said that we were still waiting to order, and explained about the biscuit. She said "Oh, that's strange." No apologies, nothing. At that point, we decided we'd go elsewhere. Rude staff and an absolute age before anyone was willing to take our order does not bode well with two hungry people! So we got the bill for the drinks and left. And we were ignored on our way out.
Absolutely terrible service, no atmosphere, rude staff. I will never go back there, and I will make sure anyone I know who is considering a meal there books elsewhere.
We ended up going to The Halfway Inn and our experience could not have been more different. If you're in the area, head there instead where you will be greeted by friendly staff, a warm atmosphere and amazing, reasonably priced food!

Room Tip: My tip is to go somewhere else!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank UncleFeather

Travelers are raving about these Froxfield hotels

White Beach, Tasmania
Reviewed October 17, 2012

We ate here while visiting family who live locally. We've eaten here before but it's changed hands since we last visited and it's still good. Nice decor and atmosphere and great food. The service was excellent and a good time was had by all! Had excellent beef pie as receommeded by my brother and it was great.

Room Tip: Didn't stay here, just ate.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 8, 2012 via mobile

Had a very nice meal with my partner, very good menu. Slightly disappointed by the bread and olives (just white and brown loafs thickly cut) but the main meals more than made up for it. Bit of a drive out to it but in my opinion well worth the trip.

• Stayed May 2012
3 Thank Matthammers
Thatcham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Went there to expect an enjoyable Sunday lunch with friends and family, but only to be greeted by poor behaviour staff. Body language certainly speaks louder than words and from this unpleasant greeting, it really puts me off. Nevertheless, I try to brush off the bad start of what could be a nice Sunday afternoon and ordered food. The sharing starter was delicious which we had the Garlic and Rosemary Crusted Camembert. But unfortunately my main course of a simple burger was hard, chewy and burnt, which by the look of it was that it has been tempted to hide these results with melted cheese. Sadly when we mentioned to the waitress about this, she was unapologetic and was rather unfriendly about the situation. Although she suggested me to order something else after speaking to her manager, I decided not to because who knows how much longer I will have to wait since we waited for more than 30 mins to order our food, and more for our food served. A waiter came to ask about our food 2 minutes later and again we explained about my burger. As one would expect a waiter should be doing at this kind of situation, he apologised and dealt with the matter professionally and politely. Therefore, my experience at The Pelican Inn was sadly ruined by a member of staff's behaviour and I will always remember this pub as that. Perhaps, I was just unfortunate.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank etlovesfood
Also consider these accommodations in or near Froxfield
The Bear Hotel Hungerford
#2 of 4 in Hungerford
De Vere Alexandra House
De Vere Alexandra House
#1 of 1 in Wroughton

Been to The Pelican Inn? Share your experiences!