“Not bad at all”

Ranked #1 of 2 Lea B&B and Inns
Preston, United Kingdom
“Not bad at all”
Reviewed November 26, 2013

Stayed here for 1 night when on business. As I was going to arrive after my host had gone out for the evening she was nice enough to leave me a key to allow me to get in. Lovely house, room had everything you need. the room I was in had its own full bathroom just down the hall with more than everything you need. I was lucky enough to be able to have the deliciouse breakfast before leaving in the morning. The only criticisum I had was that when arriving in the dark it is not abvious where to park.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
hollysmum_8, Owner at Lea House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
Hi - Thanks for your nice comments. I do have a Lea House Parking sign on the gate but truth to tell, people don't always see it in daylight! We live in an unlit village so I am not surprised you may have been confused in the dark. If I had been here, you would have seen me leap out to greet you and show you where to park, but sadly, as you say, I was not. Do hope it won't deter you from calling again if you are back in the area.
caroline

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 11, 2013

When we were looking for somewhere to spend a well earned weekend off our priority was to find a dog friendly b&b around an hour from home.
We fortunately made a good choice. Caroline is very obliging & her attention to detail & concern about her guests well being is second to none.
Lea House is very efficiently run & nothing is too much trouble.
Yes there are rules about keeping dogs under control but this is Caroline's home as well as her business & she obviously does not want it trashed by inconsiderate guests.
I am a chef so I know what I'm talking about when it comes to grub!
The choice of breakfast is extensive & of excellent quality, I just loved the veggie breakfast for change with the courgette fritter & the smoked haddock was equally good.
The accommodation was clean & Caroline could offer plenty advice on days out & restaurants.
Would We go again? ....Yes & so would my dogs. Caroline's little dog Jelly Bean is a delight as are her feline companions. I struggled a little with the shower in our room but I don't consider that to be a reason to put anyone off.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TiggerWorcestershire
hollysmum_8, Owner at Lea House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Hello both - many thanks for your review and, yes, you are right, I have so many guests who bring their dogs to stay that I do have to be a little careful otherwise there would be no lawn or garden for everyone to enjoy. But owners like you are really very good and I rarely have any problems even when, like last weekend, there were your 2 lovely dogs and another black lab as well staying.
Sorry if the shower was not perfect - I certainly didn't realise but, despite that, it is the bathroom that is due for a complete make-over and enlargement during the winter so hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised if you do choose to come and stay again.
Jelly and I send best wishes to you and the dogs!
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 8, 2013

This is a great location to visit sites in the Wye Valley and the Forest of Dean. Caroline's knowledge and recommendations on local sites and restaurants were a great help. A lovely place to stay and a lovely lady - thank you very much.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bpderby
hollysmum_8, Owner at Lea House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, November 10, 2013
Thank you so much. It was a great pleasure to meet you both.
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 3, 2013

A good location to tour the Wye valley. Very comfortable with good home cooked food. Caroline's recommendations on local sights and eating places were a great help.A pleasurable and friendly experience .

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dtcoventry
hollysmum_8, Owner at Lea House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Hello
Many thanks for your kind review. I am just so glad I was able to steer you to good dog-friendly places to visit and to eat. Jelly is missing her doggy companion!
Come back soon
Steyning, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 31, 2013

My husband and I chose Lea House because of its locality but it proved to be far more than convenient. We could not have asked for more. Caroline had thought of everything just to make our stay that little bit more special e.g. biscuits with our tea/coffee making facilities in the room, hair dryer, cotton buds, face cloths etc. We would have given five stars but the shower was not particularly efficient, although what you should expect from a beautiful old house. Very tasty breakfast made with local produce. Should have been £39 per head (£78) for the Hayloft (2013 prices) but we were charged £88. Despite this we will be back.

Room Tip: We treated ourselves to The Hayloft.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Angela B
hollysmum_8, Owner at Lea House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the trouble to give me a review and for pointing out that the shower was not great, thanks for the tip, I hadn't realised. As it happens that bathroom is being enlarged and upgraded this winter so I hope it has not put you off returning.
Regarding the pricing - the room is indeed £78 per night this year but for a one-night stay there is an additional £5 per head surcharge which is clearly stated. You must not have spotted that but, because you booked through Booking.com, the price was fixed when you booked anyway. But I am sorry if there was any misunderstanding.
I hope your son is getting on well at college and that you will be back to see him soon.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 30, 2013

The house is gorgeous with carefully selected furnishings. This accommodation is perfectly located to enjoy the Wye Valley and Goodrich Castle. Try the homemade bread and marmalade and the rest of the local produce for breakfast. Caroline made us feel very welcome and we enjoyed a comfortable night in a very pleasant place. We highly recommend it.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank zoeAC2012
Many thanks. It is great that Goodrich Castle is so close by. Nearly all my guests visit it and all come back saying how great it is, but so little known.
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 30, 2013

A warm welcome and a comfortable stay in this beautiful old house. Caroline is full of useful tips on what to see and where to eat etc., invaluable advice. The room and food were first class.
Excellent location to explore the whole Wye valley, Forest of Dean and beyond, with the attractive town of Ross only 10 minutes away.
There is a lot more to see and do in this area than at first it seems.
Plenty of historical sites and outdoors-type activities. Loads of walking along the river or in the forest.
An abundance of good restaurants, bistros, pubs, etc to suit all tastes.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Roger_and_Kate
How lucky I am that the Rugby League World Cup brought you in my direction to do a bit of exploring. So glad you were impressed and hope you come back soon to see some more.
caroline
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lea
Glewstone Court
#6 of 41 in Ross-on-Wye
The White House Guest House
The White House Guest House
#15 of 41 in Ross-on-Wye

Been to Lea House Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!