“Better than ever”

Lea House Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 2 Lea B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 25, 2013

We have stayed at Lea House over a number of years.So much so,we regard it as a home from home.
The rooms are well appointed and very comfortable.Caroline's breakfasts are understandably the stuff of legend and have to be sampled to be believed.I have never finished one yet.
Her business like approach to life underlines the fact that she is keen for every guest to get the very maximum from each visit.Her local knowledge is extremely good whether it be on attractions,the state of footpaths for her "walker guests" or somewhere to get a good evening meal.
I'm sure it can't be easy running a B & B,let alone one that is as successful as this,year on year.I have reviewed Lea House over the years and can honestly say that it is as good as it ever was and by good I really mean OUTSTANDING !!!
Well done Caroline,keep the "Hayloft" warm we'll be back again before the end of the summer.

Room Tip: There are no "bad" rooms,we prefer one to the rear of the house as the road is sited at t...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
hollysmum_8, Owner at Lea House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2013

Thank you kindly for your lovely comments. It is true that I am co-chair of the local Wye Valley & Forest of Dean Tourism Association and over the 20 years I have lived in the area, I have made it part of my job to make sure I have visited all the attractions, walking areas etc (I don't do steep hills though!), so that I can recommend good places for my guests to spend their time. There is nothing worse than visiting a new area and then when you get home, you learn of some fabulous place you should have visited, but knew nothing about whilst you were there. I hope this never happens to my guests. Occasionally though, I still get guests returning in the evening telling me about somewhere amazing they have been to, that I was unaware of. All part of the joy of this amazing area.
best wishes and see you all soon

Reviewed April 3, 2013

We stayed at lea house for 2 nights for a short break. We had a lovely time, breakfast yummy, rooms beautifully clean, nothing too much trouble. Our dog nessa has made friends with jellybean. Caroline was more than happy to welcome Nessa and my 2 children into her home. Thank you Caroline for a lovely time.

• Stayed: March 2013
hollysmum_8, Owner at Lea House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2013

It was a pleasure to meet you and the family - always delighted to have well-behaved dogs, and children!
I promise I will try to arrange a little warmer weather for you next time, so you can enjoy Puzzlewood in the sunshine.
best wishes, and see you again soon

Reviewed March 28, 2013

Lea House is quite simply the best B & B I have ever had the pleasure to stay in. Our night there was one of pure relaxation.
The house itself is pleasingly historical with many original exposed beams and an open fire.
The room was clean, quiet and tastefully decorated. It also had a great selection of classic and modern literature and poetry, as well as a well-stocked tea, hot chocolate and coffee selection - including a biscuit barrel!
The bathroom was generously sized and comfortable and there was a fine selection of lotions and potions to aid total relaxation.
The owner was friendly, yet unobtrusive and very knowledgeable about the local area.
The full English breakfast was hearty and included a selection of home-baked bread, as well as freshly squeezed orange juice.
Highly recommended.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
hollysmum_8, Owner at Lea House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2013

Many thanks for the kind words. I am glad you spotted me and decided to stop. See you again sometime. Best wishes with your search. caroline

Reviewed March 21, 2013

Fabulous bed and breakfast. The rooms were gorgeous, so tastefully decorated and everything available from beverages and biscuits to toiletries. Caroline is a superb host (Jelly Bean, the Jack Russell as well) and makes you feel so welcome. Breakfast was delicious including the home made bread! A pure touch of 'Olde English' hospitality with china cups and silverware.
The next biggest bonus for us is that pets are allowed. We only stayed one night but I would have liked to have stayed for longer. We would definately return to the Forest of Dean now that we know about Lea House.
Thank you Caroline !

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

Oooh, you are too kind Caroline. Thanks so much. I hope you can make the journey down this way again very soon and will look forward to seeing you and the dogs.
best wishes, caroline

Reviewed October 30, 2012

Caroline managed to fit myself and my four children in for a nights accommodation - Saturday 27th, at extremely short notice. We weren't the easiest of family size to accommodate, so I really appreciated her flexibility in working the rooms to suit us.
We arrived at dusk, and had a friendly introduction to Caroline, and Jelly (the Terrier) whom the children adored. We didn't stay long before we had to dash out to meet friends, but the orders for breakfast were taken when we came down from dropping our bags off.
The children appreciated being given the choice of what they would and wouldn't like on their plates, and I guess it saves on unnecessary waste also.
The rooms were clean, warm & comfortable, and it reminded me of staying at a favourite aunties years ago. If you want a clinical, minimalistic style accommodation, then don't book here - but - if you would like to step into a home from home, cosy guest house with massive exposed beams (allegedly taken from the wreckage of The Armada) wood burner, fireplaces in the bedrooms, an eclectic mix of crockery and nick knacks, then this is for you. The house offers many historical secrets I'm sure, and it would be lovely to know more about it.
I was nervous about taking my children away on my own for the first time, but Caroline made us ALL feel very welcome. Thank you!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
hollysmum_8, Owner at Lea House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2012

It was a great pleasure to meet you and your lovely children - I am glad you all enjoyed yourselves and hope to see you again.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

We decided at the last minute to take a few days away...on looking on forest of dean website we came a cross lea house, checking trip adviser with its glowing reviews we thought this was the ideal place! On arrival we were greeted by Carolyn and jelly bean!! We were shown to our room which was delightful we had a family room, it has everything we needed tea, coffee biscuits, toiletries etc! We stayed for two nights which included a delicious breakfast with everything we needed Carolyn was most accommodating to our needs! We found our whole experience of lea house fantastic and Carolyn couldn't if been more helpful with where we wanted to go with the children and places to eat. We would highly recommend it and will look forward to returning!! Thank you for making us so welcome!!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Hello - thanks so much for your lovely review. I can only say that it was a great pleasure to have a family with such nice and well-behaved children to stay. I am glad you enjoyed the trip and hope maybe to see you on another half-term break.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

We enjoyed our stay at Lea House. Hostess, Caroline was very welcoming and helpful, guiding us to local attractions. Cottage is warm and beautiful, happy with our huge room. Clean and cosy with ample facilty. The bed is super comfy. Very impressed with the lovely surroundings.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KimmieT8
hollysmum_8, Owner at Lea House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2012

So glad you enjoyed our part of the world - and my lovely new mattresses! Hope you had a wonderful time in London too. Jelly Bean sends love to your 2 Jack Russells - I bet they were glad to see you home.
caroline

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lea
Brooks Country House
The King's Head Hotel
#3 of 12 in Ross-on-Wye
Lower Wythall Bed and Breakfast
Wilton Court Restaurant with Rooms

Been to Lea House Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!