“Go to the pub next door, and be made very welcome.”

Lea House Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 2 Lea B&B and Inns
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Go to the pub next door, and be made very welcome.”
Reviewed August 13, 2012

As my birthday treat, myself and my sister booked 2 nights at Lea House.On arrival, the greeting I experienced was unbelievable! Caroline opened the door, I told her who I was, she told me to park the car "over there" as she was watching the Tennis, and shut the door! When she finally decided to let us in, we were ushered into the dining room and asked to choose breakfast and tea or coffee for the morning.We hadn't even seen the room!
At breakfast, I accidently spilt a cup of tea, over the table. I tried to mop as much up with napkins, and then went to inform Caroline. She asked me "how on earth had I done that" perhaps asking me had I scalded myself would of been the question to ask??!! I felt like a two tear old, and was very embarrased,as there was another family at the breakfast table.When she went back to the kitchen, I told my sister I was not staying another night and she agreed with me. I finished the breakfast (so tiny it wouldn't fill a baby bird) and went upstairs to pack.Caroline and another person were in the room.(we hadn't been given a key to lock the room, just 1 front door key) I was furious, and told her we were not staying any longer, that she was very patronising and rude, and that I had travelled all over the world,and had never experienced anything like it,anywhere! As she left the room, her passing comment was "we were in a bad mood when we arrived"

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Bernie K
hollysmum_8, Owner at Lea House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
I am truly sorry that these ladies did not enjoy Lea House but I would like to address their complaints.
When they arrived I did point out where to park their car. Not quite sure how to do that other than “over there”. Yes, I was watching Andy Murray in the Olympic tennis and I did indeed pop back while the ladies were getting stuff from their car but I never shut the door on guests, and did go straight back to see them in as soon as they walked back to the house.
I was in their room in the morning, for a very good reason. I had offered to serve them breakfast late, so my housekeeper had nipped in to tidy their room while they were in the dining room. The room smelled so unpleasant that I was summoned to have a look. We found the remains of a very large take-away stuffed in the bin and empty drinks cans that turned out to be reeking of stale nicotine. They had clearly been smoking and eating in the room.
Both ladies left some of their breakfasts so the comment on the size is strange. The majority of my guests have judged the food I serve on its quality rather than quantity, as other reviews will attest to. I understand that the guest was embarrased but perhaps the reason the tea was spilled was because, in their own words they "got drunk" the night before, and were undoubtedly suffering the after-effects. When I cleared the table later, I found there was orange juice spilled all over it as well.
I supply bathrobes to the rooms that have a private bathroom which I expect guests to use to pop from one room to the other. I was pretty surprised to see these two ladies parading through the public areas of Lea House in my bathrobe and going out into the garden to have a smoke. Not the sort of behaviour I expect.
I don’t like to carp or make excuses – they were clearly not happy and pleased to leave after one night, which was mutually satisfactory as I was going to ask them to leave anyway as they were the kind of guests most b&bs rather dread. I hope next time they will find a b&b more suited to their needs.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Cypress, Texas
Reviewed August 10, 2012

My partner and I booked travel to the U.K. from the States back in early 2012. Our stay would take us on a journey across the countryside for two weeks beginning in Birmingham for Crufts. From there we would be meeting with acquaintances in the Western part of the Country. Our three days in Ross-on-Wye Valley were superb...much thanks to Lea House and Caroline, Owner/Manager. We had heard of several B&B's...and, Lea House came highly recommended.
Upon arrival we were welcomed by "Jellybean", the Jack Russell Terrier, and Caroline. Our group of five adults were promptly shown the property and settled into our respective rooms...which there are various options to suit every need.
Caroline took our breakfast orders every evening for the next day....and what a breakfast!!
From there, Caroline provided directions around the area and answered any questions we had.
We did quite a bit of driving - two cars for our group. And, at the end of each day we always had plenty of parking at Lea House.
We found the location was ideal for our travel needs.
I would recommend Lea House for anyone planning to travel in the area. It is truly a gem!! We both hope to go back some day soon.
R & J

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
hollysmum_8, Owner at Lea House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Well, that is surely praise indeed. I am so glad I helped make your visit enjoyable.
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Thank you Caroline for making us so welcome in your beautiful home. Nothing was too much, we were totaly spoilt with your wonderful cooking and really enjoyed our stay. Thanks also to Jellybean for being a fun friend to our Oscar.

Thank you again.

Mags, Colin and Oscar

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you - I enjoyed having you to stay and to serving dinner - it is always nice to cook for appreciative guests! Jelly was delighted to meet Oscar and especially with the free walk! Do bring Oscar back again soon.
best wishes
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Venue: Fantastic breakfasts with loads of home cooked food using local ingredients; a bunch of quirky fun pets; a very helpful host and a really nice, well stocked room (with quilted toilet paper so thick it could be used to make a nice summer jacket). Really can't ask for more for the price.

Location: Perfect for a short drive to Ross-on-Wye, Simons Yat and other great locations dotted around the Forest of Dean. Be sure to ask Caroline for advice on what to see based on the time of your stay, and for places to eat at. Surprisingly, Ross-on-Wye has a couple of cracking Ghurka restaurants (the one in town is the better of the two).

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thanks a lot for your very kind words. It was a pleasure to meet you, your Mum and sister and I enjoyed having you to stay.
Ellesmere Port, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Only stayed overnight on business trip, made very welcome, comfortable sleep in twin room, Super Breakfast in the morning. Pub next door. What else can you ask for

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
hollysmum_8, Owner at Lea House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Thank you Peter. I am glad the AA route planner picked me out and very glad you enjoyed your brief stay.
Reviewed July 15, 2012

We were instantly made to feel at home here. Caroline wasn't here for the first night, but she'd ensured we were really well looked after and we wanted for nothing. Our room was splendid, with everything we needed and lots more, from a completely want-for-nothing bathroom, to plenty of ideas for places to visit and things to do. Breakfast was superb, too, with plenty of variety, and as much as possible sourced locally. We weren't very lucky with the weather, but on our first night we were able to sit in the beautiful garden and read.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your lovely review - I know how busy you are! Let's hope you get the chance for another break really soon.
Shepton Mallett
Reviewed July 15, 2012

We wanted a long weekend to relax and walk our two lively spaniels. Caroline provided the perfect place to stay. Sensible dog rules ensure that all guests are happy. jelly Bean, the resident terrier is delightfully friendly to humans and dogs alike and even went for an evening walk with our two! The rooms are spacious and well stocked with comforts, the food at breakfast was exactly right and the Saturday dinner cooked and served to perfection. Maps and ideas of where to go and what to do abound, and on returning to the house the lovely lounge is made available-in our case to watch the Wimbledon finals. We loved the area which was new to us and plan to return before too long. Lea House will be our base.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks a lot. It was fun to share the excitement of Wimbledon finals with you and Jelly Bean enjoyed the doggy company too. Good job we have a good hose for when they all came back caked in mud!
I shall look forward to seeing you again
caroline
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lea
Glewstone Court
#1 of 1 in Llangrove
The Bridge House
The Bridge House
#4 of 43 in Ross-on-Wye

Been to Lea House Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!