“NON-RESPONSIVE MANAGEMENT”

Craigiebield House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Penicuik B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 14, 2009

During my stay at THE CRAIGIEBIELD HOTEL in November 2008, I felt this hotel was in poor condition, run down and dirty with cob-webs, and chipped paint across the room floors from the ceiling. I had to request my room be switched because the first one was too gross to sleep in.

Initially, I brought the problem to the attention of Deborah Harris, the hotel manager, and she was going to inquire with Martin Calder, an Area Director of Oxford Hotels, but I neither received another response after Deborah's December 2nd email, nor a response from my December 16th follow-up email.

Of the three levels of management I went to within Oxford Hotels, no one responded or followed-up. With that, I will not stay at the Craigiebield Hotel, nor will I stay at a Oxford branded hotel either.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Kbrady1018

Reviewed January 27, 2009

Some aspects of this hotel are nice but for the price it is very lacking in ammenities for what you might expect. The room was lovely-- booked a 'superior' room and was given room 2. My main issues with this hotel:
Music played well into the night kept me awake
No reading light and overhead light was not enough
A cheap TV missing controls and very few channels to choose from also poor quality
Jacuzzi tub didn't work.
That said, it was a lovely room with a fantastic view and big bathroom. Stayed at the hotel for an event nearby and the location is good. Breakfast was fine and if I had to stay there again, I would bring my own shampoo and conditioners, etc. Ask for a lamp you will need it! Also, inquire about the noise because room 2 must be right over the event hall.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed November 12, 2008

This was without doubt a dreadful experience, it should have been wonderful. My husband booked two nights in a suite, we stayed one, booked out and went elsewhere. Enough said apart from I feel obliged to warn others not to stay in this place especially on the first Friday of each month - "open-mic" night. We finally got to sleep at 1am. The Jacuzzi didn't work, the duvet for the Kingsize bed was a double. The TV reception was dreadful and lighting too poor to read for long. No one was at reception when we arrived, so no welcome, no complimentary toiletries just an all round shoddy act. My husband spends approx. 100 nights away from home staying in hotels around the globe and he couldn't wait to leave this place. Thankfully we were able to use internet access on our phones to find alternative accomodation as the claimed Wi-Fi was not visible to our laptop. Poor, poor poor.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Nicbee9
OHIML, General Manager at Craigiebield House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2008

'We take all feedback very seriously and the above comments have been addressed and where possible rectified. We would like to assure all future guests that our aim is to provide the best possible guest experience'

Reviewed July 21, 2008

Stayed for one night in a suite on a Saturday, It was not the cleanest room I have stayed in either. The bed settee was broken and needed some effort to make up. There was a wedding below and the noise was quite loud. The place could do with a refurb, as it was quite tired in places. It was well over-priced for the area. The breakfast was ok and the staff very pleasant. The gardens were well maintained and tidy.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed July 15, 2008

My husband and I and two of our older grandsons (18,15) stayed almost a week at the hotel. The room was fine, the bathroom was large. Television stations were awful with little or no choice in the evenings. The food was good, though expensive (evening meal). Breakfast was very good and included with the room. The staff were very nice and helpful.However, one grandson left his glasses in the room when we checked out. We have tried repeatedly to get them back, with no response whatsoever from the hotel. And the hotel is certainly not handicapped accessable. But would I stay there again, yes, probably. And I would recommend it to friends who aren't looking for 4 * accomadation. It's a place to sleep and eat breakfast and it fulfilled those requirements nicely. I slept like a log each night. Maybe I was just tired from seeing Scotland. Oh, and if you don't have a car, there aren't many places to eat in Penicuik. It's pretty much Chinese or Indian.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed April 12, 2007

I stayed (I think) almost 3 weeks. Gad. In that time I developed an affliction for well poured Guinness (thank you Kayleigh and Emma) and a thirst for Lagavulin single malt (thank you annonymous 40th birthday reveller).

Without a doubt I had the best time in the Craigiebield I had in the 10 weeks I slouched around the old countries. There's something about the breakfast (eggs, sausage, black pudding, beans, scone, tomato, all the cereal you can eat, fruit, juice, burp) that gets you up in the morning if not out the door afterwards (hard to move).

I spent the time walking up the River North Esk to Penicuik House, in Milton Bridge and Glencorse, Roslin, the Pentlands, and Auld Reekie - which doesn't seem to reek much anymore.

The rub: It's reasonably priced, well-staffed, well-stocked, within reach of Edinburgh, plenty to see on foot in the countryside.

The haggis is good. Try the "appetizer" if you're not sure, but you'll enjoy it no problem, and the salmon, and the sticky pudding (if it's too sticky send it back)!

Ask for Alan, he'll take care of you, and he'll call you "sir" to boot, silly man.

If you go to Roslin the Carrot soup is good at the "Old Original" Roslin Inn. BIG coal fire too as it will probably be raining.

The bus for Edinburgh stops right outside the Craigiebield or you can walk to the main drag and catch a different one. No biggy. 1 pound.

The rooms? Warm, comfortable, clean, enormous tubs, shortcake (bribe the cleaner for extra), TV (BBC gardening shows and football), BUT if you want quiet take a room in the old part; the rooms in the new part are over the well-used function room. Not so bad really as the activity will force you down to the bar with all those single malts.

*sigh*

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled solo
2  Thank Roebare
Reviewed April 7, 2007

We stayed just a single night in the hotel.

The Craigiebield House Hotel has obviously undergone renovation recently and so the rooms in the hotel and the general bar / restaurant area are ok. However the cleanliness of our room left a lot to be desired. The carpet was covered in hair, the toilet dirty and the dirty duvet could be seen through the cover. To be fair we were offerred the keys to another room but that was equally dirty except the duvet so we just took the duvet to our original room.

The food in the hotel was ok but the service average at best. I got the impression the staff would rather have been elsewhere.

Given that a fair bit of money has been spent on the hotel in recent years it is dissapointing that the same investment has not been made in the staff.

The Craigiebield House Hotel will never be a 5 star hotel but if they can work on the customer service it might be an ok place to stay a night or two.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Baxie

Been to Craigiebield House Hotel? Share your experiences!