“Superb restaurant and shop!”

Whitmuir the Organic Place
Ranked #10 of 25 Restaurants in Penicuik
Cuisines: Cafe, British, Scottish
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: part of a farm specialising in organic foods
London, United Kingdom
“Superb restaurant and shop!”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

I've been sourcing my ingredients at Whitmuir organics for quite a while now, and was looking forward to try the restaurant to see if they could deliver good service and food. Well...I can assure that they can, I know that as a fact now! My meal was very nice and the service was all but slow as other complained, starters were out within 10 minutes and so were the main courses. Loved the soup of the day and the halibut, both perfectly prepared and presented! Thank you very much to the staff for the wonderful experience, I will be back as soon as possible.

• Visited August 2013

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Lovely place, but not great for wheelchairs”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I've been to Whitmuir and loved the ambience on ever occasion. I like the art in Dancing Lights Gallery, and the range of goods in the farm shop is great.

On a rainy day I suggested this as a lunch spot for a group including a wheelchair user. Both the blue badge spaces were in use, and getting the manual wheelchair across the chippings in the car park was a bit of a mission. There was no paved path around the main building, which limited access somewhat, though we could probably have got out onto the terrace via the cafe.

The food was quite expensive for the portion sizes - came in at £9 per head for one course and beverages. Very tasty food, and a good variety from tagine to burgers. Normally I would have bought fresh produce from the extensive choice but we weren't going directly home.

I would recommend this as a drop-in if you are passing sort of a place, or even as worth a detour if you are happy to pay for high quality organic food. But I would find somewhere else if I was in or travelling with a wheelchair user.

• Visited July 2013
London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wonderful experience”
Reviewed July 12, 2013

We visited the restaurant last week and were impressed with the varied menu and the quality of the food. The bread was homemade on the premises and very tasty. My only complaint would be that the desserts and cakes were so delicious looking that I had trouble choosing just 1 !! After lunch we had a walk around and were very impressed with all the facilities that are on offer.

• Visited July 2013
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Almost brilliant”
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Like the reviewer below, we like this place, and *almost* love it. It's a great concept and lovely to see such effort go into producing good, local food. The service is a bit hit and miss, and it's utterly weird that breakfast service stops at 11.30 whilst lunch doesn't start till 12, but the food is delicious and tasty. We always enjoy a walk around and a look in the gallery too. We like this place a lot, and fully support what they're trying to do, but a few thoughtful tweaks could turn it from good to great.

• Visited May 2013
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Friendly and yummy”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We have been to Whitmuir several times and love the friendly atmosphere plus being able to walk all over a working farm. We have 4 kids and they love coming to see the piglets, cows, ducks and recently, the newborn lambs. The staff are all very friendly and the farm staff are so good with my kids, allowing them to pet the animals. The restaurant is good too, with yummy food (recommend the light lunch minute steak) and a wee kids play area with a small selection of toys and some books. The sheepdog, Lily, is very friendly and seems to almost 'show' you around the farm, bounding ahead as you walk!
We also go and explore the different walks which are cleverly coded to a different animal and love the teepee too!!

• Visited April 2013