“Friendly and yummy”

Whitmuir the Organic Place
Ranked #10 of 24 Restaurants in Penicuik
Cuisines: Cafe, British, Scottish
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: part of a farm specialising in organic foods
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Friendly and yummy”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We have been to Whitmuir several times and love the friendly atmosphere plus being able to walk all over a working farm. We have 4 kids and they love coming to see the piglets, cows, ducks and recently, the newborn lambs. The staff are all very friendly and the farm staff are so good with my kids, allowing them to pet the animals. The restaurant is good too, with yummy food (recommend the light lunch minute steak) and a wee kids play area with a small selection of toys and some books. The sheepdog, Lily, is very friendly and seems to almost 'show' you around the farm, bounding ahead as you walk!
We also go and explore the different walks which are cleverly coded to a different animal and love the teepee too!!

• Visited April 2013

KINROSS
“Needs more customer focus”
Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

Called into this recommended cafe on Monday 8th April for a bowl of soup and sandwich at 11.30am. What a shock to be told that the kitchen do not serve food between 11.30 and 12.00. Seems the breakfast menu finishes at 11.30 and the lunch does not start until 12.00 noon with no food in between these hours.
Faced with the option to sit and wait for half an hour we decided to get up and leave and find another venue to spend our money. As we were leaving we saw the owners sitting at a table and informed them of our disappointment of their system that is more focused towards kitchen needs rather than customer needs. They appeared rather shocked when we informed them that we had been refused service from the kitchen and insisted that we sit down and they would speak with the chef. This resulted in us being offered a limited choice of food and at no charge. We had a very nice salad / soup and bread, PAID our bill and left as two amazed and disappointed customers but now fully understood why the restaurant was empty.

Visited April 2013
5 Thank ROBERT S
Heather A, Owner at Whitmuir the Organic Place, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
I am sorry you had a disappointing experience here. As you explained in the review, you raised your concerns with us and we immediately dealt with the issue by going directly to the kitchen and ensuring you were served a nice meal, on the house. There was no requirement to pay. My memory was that we also spoke to you during the meal and on your departure to check you were ok and you reassured us that the matter had been dealt with.

The young man who served you was a temporary member of staff who tried to explain that the breakfast menu ended at 11.30 and the lunch menu began at 12 noon. We also explain on the menu that soup, cakes, coffee and tea are served all day and this member of staff should have offered you soup. I apologised about this misunderstanding when we dealt with your order.

We work very hard to be customer focussed and accommodate customer requests. I am sorry we did not manage to meet your expectations. Hopefully, you will come again and enjoy a meal here.
Edinburgh, Scotland
“Wish there were more places like this”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Whitmuir aims to be Scotland's first community owned farm and has an ambitious programme to become a national resource sustainable food and farming. I bought Borodinsky bread from the Breadshare Bakery (now there's alliteration for you) which my Russian wife rated very highly. Unfortunately I was only hungry enough for coffee and a cheese scone in the restaurant but I enjoyed both very much. It's a great place to visit with lots to see and I look forward to going back and trying more delicious food.

• Visited February 2013
“Hearty ambition”
Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

I have been to Whitmuir on so many occasions and to be honest, it's not always perfect. Generally it is very good. I give them such high marks because i admire the owners bold vision of opening a gallery, a restaurant, a shop with a farm and bakery to fill these outlets. I've been to places with better food and service, but never have I felt my money was helping better people achieve a nobler dream. I hope they make it!
Ps - I wish the fruit and veg had clear prices in the shop. Some veggies are an absolute bargain and some are very expensive and I never quite know which will be which until I get to the till. Like most people, the super pricey item niggles in my memory.

1 Thank Kingarturo77
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Delicious meal in lovely setting - what a find”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Had a family meal - very impressed, not only with our excellent meal and the prompt, friendly service, but also with the restaurant and place as a whole. Don't normally leave reviews but feel Whitmuir should be praised for its achievements of providing quality food and service and for genuinely caring about where that food comes from and how it is raised, something more important than ever in this day and age. It is obvious that the owners and staff are passionate about what they offer here. A great day out with the kids. What a find.

• Visited February 2013