“The West Awake”

The Twelve Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Barna
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed December 15, 2011

Went to twelve(first timer)with mixed group of 8.Everyone in group delighted with occasion.Service all through excellent,cuisine most pleasing and not to mention fab wine.Great entertainment on the nights we stayed and bar staff/restaurant staff a real pleasure and professional.Rooms very comfortable and excellent facilities within.There was Sky sports in rooms but available in bar.If it had a pool it would have been lovely and would then be hard to beat.Excellent rates for our stay and all of group will venture back in future

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank donieennistymon
Write a ReviewReviews (1,789)

Reviewed December 2, 2011

I am bridesmaid for my sister and we booked this hotel for her hen weekend. The reason we booked it was we heard great reviews on it. Please please please dont let the fact that they allow hen parties put you off staying there. they put all us hens on one corridor so that we wouldnt disturb any other guests. I would definitely stay here again whether it was for a hen, romantic weekend, or with friends. stunning hotel, and the service was just outstanding. every single member of staff were a joy to deal with. I would highly recommend this hotel!

Reviewed November 29, 2011

Amazing hotel. Could not fault it. Reservations so so helpful, Reception Staff very friendly and efficient. The Manager took us to our room which was upgraded to Suite XII complementary. We had booked the funnymoon suite. Suite XII was beautiful. There was also a bottle of prosecco and strawberries complementary in our suite too and a card wishing my husband a happy birthday. We had a delicious meal with 4 other family members in West, we all loved our food. Our waiter was so polite and friendly. We had a really relaxing few drinks in the bar, great atmosphere in the bar and the entertainment was great. Breakfast was to order and cooked perfectly. Best hotel in Ireland! Loved it.

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank Jeaniedoll
Reviewed November 17, 2011

I booked a weekend two night package at The Twelve as a birthday surprise present for my husband. All I can say is - there needs to be a new award category invented for this hotel. It has already won a lot of awards all of which it totally deserves and no doubt will add a few more to its collection fairly soon.

From the moment we stepped through the door we just knew we'd made the right choice in picking The Twelve. The décor is beautiful which almost effortlessly caters to all tastes (which is an achievement in itself !).

We were upgraded to the Luxury Suite free of charge after Samantha promptly checked us in and gave us a welcome drink. There was a lovely handwritten card and shortbread with strawberries dipped in chocolate in our suite on arrive. This was just one example of the extra touches that makes for great memories long after you leave The Twelve Hotel - which we did very reluctantly.

The wet bar in our room also a nice additional extra (would be great for small parties/hen night).

The staff couldn't have been more welcoming and all of them exude that rare quality of people who genuinely enjoy their jobs.

We ate in "The West Restaurant" on Saturday night which was very busy but that didn't affect the level of service. There was a hen party, a few local groups celebrating a birthday and a few other couples like us enjoying a quite weekend away. The atmosphere was great. It is rare for a restaurant to be able to cater so excellently to each different dining group but at The West everyone genuinely appeared to be really enjoying their dining experience and all left with smiles on their faces. Dinner was included in our package so I was expecting to perhaps be limited to the choices that might be available but this was not the case as we could choose anything which was somewhat of a difficult choice to make in the end. The Menu caters for all tastes and the wine list has won some serious awards.

The bar downstairs has a great cocktail menu too and a big flat screen TV so there's something for both the boys and girls and local entertainment on weekends too.

The seaweed bath which can be ordered in the privacy of your own room is highly recommended. The mood lighting in the bathroom which gently flows from red, yellow, blue and white is yet another example of an "extra touch". The therapist - Evelyn (who was wonderful!) set up the seaweed spa bath for my husband before whisking me away to "The Petit Spa" for a massage which I can only describe as being totally blissful due partly to the extra reflexology and head massage at the end. Heavenly !

The Twelve really is a lovely relaxing haven in a beautiful location. Be sure to get out for a walk (you may even meet Seamus the local donkey if you're lucky).

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Delia M
Reviewed November 15, 2011

I have just returned from my sisters hen party where we stayed at the twelve hotel in barna and what can i but this was a hens with a difference. I have never been compelled to write a review before but this hotel and the service and value for money was truely exceptional that i could not wait to put fingers to keyboard!!

There were 13 of us in total and everyone of us could not fault our stay or experience and I know as I write this - this should be counted as 13 individual reviews and not one. Im speakig on behalf of us all!

From the moment arrive outside this beautiful boutique hotel, you get hit with the smell of the sea immediately and it awakens your senses and you feel exhilarated. You then make your way to check in and during check in your greeted very personally , by a very friendly face and a refershing chilled iced tea... ( from here I will share with you as much as I can about the rest of our experience)

We then got checked into our rooms - as we waited for the key to recognise us and let us in i knew this was going to be good - the decor was very contempory with big mirrors dotted throughout and there were plush carpets on every floor. When we got into the rooms we had a very bathroom with mood lights, rain showers. The beds were ultimate luxury and decor was fabulous!! My room was a suite and had its own wet bar, fridge, cabinets , microwave , seating areas and L shaped sofas for us all to meet ( perfect for those bottles of bubbly at the start of the night and at the end of the night when all the pubs/clubs were shut) - this room was complimentary for the bride to be!!! All i can say is WOW!! pure treat! Also in the room was a hand written card to both my sister and me wishing her a wonderful hens party and that if there was anything at all that could be done not to hesiate to contact them. Again so personal and now memrobilia for my sister.

In Everybodys room they left a slice of homemade shortcake with strawberries dipped in dark chocolate - for all us girls again such a treat and a fabulous start for all!!

On the first night we ate in the pub across the road Donnellans - I would highly recommend this restraunte aswell - I love seafood and this is definately their forte - but they also cater for all kinds of tastes aswell so its not just fish but if you like fish - you will love theirs - its a lovely quaint pub with a homely and friendly atmosphere. This was perfect for us to enjoy a nice bite to eat before heading out into the city center which was only 15mins by taxi ( whih was also ordered for us with utmost ease)

On both mornings brekfasts were included as part of our package and beileve me nothing is more worth getting out of bed for than for this brekfasts! There have cereals then croissants, pan au chocolats (all freshly made from the award winning bakery part of the hotel) fresh juices, pancakes and bacon, eggs benedict... you name it made to order. The man who serves us that we say chop chop to as is one of his favourite words could not do enough - all of us served together and the service was excellent and food utterly scrumptious!!!!

Later that day again in the hotel we had cocktail lessons with Vic - again the lesson is included in the package but not the coctails themselves - Vic was full of hints and tips, So much fun, so friendly and nice and we had an absolute ball - making the cocktails all dressed in our hula costumes and floral necklaces we all really did feel like we were on our holidays.

As the cocktail lesson ended Marcin let me know he was there ( yes again in the hotel and part of our package) - Marcin is the name of the sound engineer man to let us know that he was here and for us to bring our drinks up to the boardroom where were were going to ... wait for it... record our song!!! ( this was the activity that I chose for my sisters hen) to say this was one of the funniest days of my life is an understatement - poor marcin should have brought earplugs there were so many of us off key and out of rhythm he could not help but laugh and we drank our tears laughing!!! We got there in the end and it was a wrap!!! hiugs all round!

After the recording we had time for a quick change into our finest for dinner which was held in their fine dining restraunt. This was a set type of menu but there really was so much choice too to cater for all. Thne restraunt called' the west' was elegant and stylish - we had large deep and dark booths and even the menus had printed on the " for the lady in waiting" again everyone was so impressed and touched at the hotels efforts! The meal was also included in our package and was gourmet to the highest standard!!! everyone had starters, mains and desserts and could not get over just how gorgeous everything was!!! Again a foodies haven!!!

After dinner we were all told to make our way to reception were we could all get together and then make our way into their bar - as we made our way into the bar our song recording was played over their tannoy system and all of the girls were laughing so hard at the sound of us singing terribly being played for all the poor guests to hear and the bride cringed ( in a good way)- again taxis were ordered for us with no fuss to go back into the city.

Upon checkout again the staff were so nice, friendly and interested in everyone individually that it was so pleasnat and refreshing for everyone - and to finish our stay each of the girls were give vouchers for complimentary tea. coffee or hot chocolate for the jouney back to dublin!! Another very personal and lovely touch to finish our stay.

From start to finish everything was excellent, the girls at reception, the service men, bar staff and cleaning staff.

This hotel caters to your every need and prides itself on personally interacting with its guests! The hotel did not discrimnate against us the fact that we were a group and that there were so many of us - the hotel treated us exactly the same as if we were a couple or a family.

This hotel is perfect for families and couples the same and caters for all breaks be it romantic or for nature lovers and explorers.

My sister told me on our way back that this was the best weekend she has ever had in her whole life and i have to say me too!!!

I could not encourage enough hen parties, girly breaks, couples and families from all differennt ages and walks of life to go to this hotel if you want to be guaranteed a very special stay !!!

Thanks you the Twelve for making this hen party truely spectacular and for making my sisters dreams come true in deliverying the hen party she has always dreamed of making it so special for her and those closet to her.

Room Tip: Every room is to a very high standard but if there is anything particlular you require just speack t...
5  Thank Aoife O
Reviewed November 14, 2011

Four pensioners spent a very enjoyable 3 days with The Twelve, 9th-11th November 2011. A most comfortable and welcoming venue. Were able to take the bus into Galway from a few steps up the street. The food is first class and they know their wine. Just before we left we had the opportunity to watch, in front of a fine fire, the inauguration of the new President of the country with complimentary coffee and we bought a bottle of bubbly to celebrate the occasion.

3  Thank Sixtyplustravellers
Reviewed November 13, 2011

My girlfriend and I visited from the U.S. and spent two nights at The Twelve. We had a wonderful stay. The service was great. We had made a mistake and booked the wrong weekend and the place was super busy. But the manager, Fergus, found us a really nice room. We enjoyed a fabulous dinner--a sampler of Connemara lamb. The wine selection was very good. Upon evening arrival, we had drinks and cheese plate in the bar connected to West, the main restaurant. The cheese, the local single malt whiskey and service were all enchanting. The hotel's decor is modern and stylish, taking one out of the ordinary to create an original experience, while nicely preserving warmth and comfort. We were happy to stay in Barma, it's a beautiful little town and we found it easy to get in and out of Galway. We definitely recommend The Twelve!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DCinSeattle
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barna
Park House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Bushypark
Clybaun Hotel
Clybaun Hotel
#6 of 46 in Galway

Been to The Twelve Hotel? Share your experiences!