“Galways Best!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Donnellys of Barna

Donnellys of Barna
Ranked #2 of 9 Restaurants in Barna
Cuisines: Irish, Bar, Seafood, European, Pub, Soups, International
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children, Bar scene, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Townsville, Australia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Galways Best!”
Reviewed February 20, 2014

We ate here a number of times while staying in the area, each time found the food and atmosphere to be fantastic! The staff were very accommodating when we had a large group of people and went out of the way to help us. They have an extensive menu and everything was delicious, especially the crummed mushrooms. We also enjoyed the Trad that was on one night and would not hesitate to go back next time we are in Galway!

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Jess2089

dublin
“Manners??”
Reviewed February 15, 2014

My Fiance and I were visiting friends in Barna on Saturday 8/2/14 and decided due to the weather to go into Donnellys for a drink while we waited on our friends partner to get home from work. we went in about 4pm or shortly after and took up residence in the snug which was vacant. we had a couple of drinks before our fourth person arrived. It was our intention to have dinner here when he arrived. He arrived about 5:30 and joined us for a drink. The bar staff were very good and very friendly even dropping the hot ports into the girls. The girl dropped a reserved sign on the table in the snug when dropping down the drinks but didn't say any more. shortly after this and before we had even finished our drinks a woman whom I can only presume was a 'manager' of some sort stood at the door and barked into us that the snug was 'reserved' and we "had to be out of it by 7pm". In all my time in and out of pubs and restaurants I have never heard of a 'snug' being reserved nor have I ever been spoken to in this manner. As you can imagine we were disgusted and went across to the twelve for our dinner. From time to time one experiences bad manners from the floor staff but on this occasion it was the management that was terribly bad mannered and the floor staff which were excellent. Our friends were terribly embarrassed as this is somewhere they frequent regularly and to have such an experience while entertaining guests really upset them

• Visited February 2014
Cecily H, Manager at Donnellys of Barna, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
Dear Fran3632

Thank you for taking the time to review Donnellys. We were very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your time at Donnellys and for this we can only apologise.
Our policy is to always advise customers of areas that are reserved later that evening so that they can either choose to stay there or move to another table. This was not done in your case and we are sorry about this. You should not have been approached in the manner that you were and only given minutes to move. The snug is quite popular with our diners and is reserved for most Friday & Saturday nights.
Thank you for highlighting the issue with reserved tables. After reading your review we introduced a new policy which will hopefully eliminate an experience like yours in the future.
If you would like to discuss the matter further please do not hesitate to contact me at either 091 592487 or dine@donnellysofbarna.com. We would hope that you would try our establishment in the future for dinner and leave with a more positive outlook of Donnellys of Barna.

Thank you.

Kind regards
Cecily & all the team at Donnellys
Dublin, Ireland
“Birthday Party”
Reviewed February 10, 2014 via mobile

I celebrated my birthday with 35 of my very good friends by having a sit-down meal in Donnellys. Cecily & Tom and their excellent team selected, designed and produced a wonderful feast which meant my guests and I only had to sit back, relax and enjoy ourselves for the evening. Many thanks to the entire staff for great night and for the wonderful cake.

1 Thank BeeforSalmon1
Galway, Ireland
“Nice lunch”
Reviewed January 30, 2014

I had lunch here last week and had a delicious homemade soup and fresh sandwiches with a nice side salad. Nice atmosphere, friendly staff and a warm welcome.

I have had dinner here before Christmas also and it was of a very high standard but not as good value as lunch.

• Visited January 2014
Reading, United Kingdom
“Excellent food, atmosphere and service”
Reviewed January 11, 2014

I stay in Barna on a fairly regular basis for work and have been to Donnellys three times now and have thoroughly enjoyed the food, atmosphere and service every time. Twice I have had the special and today I had the Haddock Mornay which I highly recommend! The pint of Smithwicks seemed one of the best I have had, at the perfect temperature. The staff are charming and make you feel welcome and looked after. It is lovely and warm and cosy with the fire lit. You can see why Donnellys has won multiple awards.

• Visited January 2014