“Excellent experience”

Liddesdale Hotel
Liddesdale Hotel
Ranked #4 of 5 Newcastleton B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 6, 2012

This is the first time we used Groupon. The process was easy and helpful.
The hotel was welcoming and we soon got chatting to very friendly local people, The room was spotless. Food very good. We were regularly asked if everything was ok and it was much more than this. Nothing was too much trouble. We will be returning for a relaxing short break in a wonderful setting in an informal hotel which is focussed on customer satisfaction. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 3.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 24, 2012

We stayed here when my husband competed in the Kielder 100. We had to be away really early and the staff were really accommodating. The room was spotless, service great and food was tip top. Can't fault the place and it is in such a pretty town square. We've just booked again and will continue to use it whenever we are in this part of the world. Fantastic place.

Room Tip: As this hotel is in a square, there is no issue with any room being noiser than the other.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jane P
Reviewed August 9, 2012

This was our third two night stay in three years. As on other occasions, we found our room clean, pleasant and well supplied with the usual complimentary items. When it was noticed that I had brought my decaf tea bags, I was offered fresh milk for our room. We have always found the staff friendly and helpful. The food is of a high standard and plentiful. Breakfast is exceptional, and prepared to our preference. We stayed in Room 3 on this occasion, but have previously stayed in Room 1, which is above the bar. Regarding a previous reviewer's comments on the noise from the juke box, when in Room 1 we rang downstairs to enquire how late the music might go on for (at about 10.00), and it was immediately turned off.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Yorkiscotty
Reviewed August 1, 2012

Arrived late, friendly welcome and food freshly prepared.Meals tasty and plenty of it,breakfast kept me going all day.Room clean ,linen smelt lovely and fresh,locals friendly and welcoming,great craic in the bar.Will be back when in the area.Thankyou.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 11, 2012

A very disappointing stay at the Liddesdale Hotel. I read an earlier, highly complementary, review from someone who stayed in room 2 (which is the same room that we stayed in) who commented that the negative reviews seem as if they are written for another hotel - well I can't place his review as being for the same hotel as we experienced.

The room was dirty, the surfaces were dusty and didn't look like they'd been cleaned in a while, the carpet was heavily stained, and generally the room was very run down and in need of renovation and redecorating.

The sound on the TV was broken in such a way that it sounded like it was in another room. When asked when we checked out whether everything was OK with our stay, we mentioned the broken TV, but simply got a response of "oh yes, we had that in room 4 a while back - it's the speakers that have broken". No apology, nor attempt to try and resolve our dissatisfaction.

All in all a very disappointing stay, and we wouldn't return.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank 41n212
Reviewed June 4, 2012

Great area and hotel :) Tracey and all the staff were very friendly on my short stay. Food is excellent and my room was lovely. Newcastleton is a nice place but the weather wasnt great. Locals in the bar are great and everyone was very friendly. Shall definately be back if in the area.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank markwayne186525
Reviewed March 19, 2012

Once again the MSA Rally season has started and I had ro cover the Brick & Steel Rally which rook me once again to Newcastleton. This has been my second stay at the Liddesdale hotel and when I arrived at 8.15pm on the 17th March I was met by Jane whom I had never met before. Jane was very pleasant indeed and made me most welcome.
Jane then showed me to my room number 2, and upon entering I could see that the room was spotlessly clean throughout. The ensuite was also spotless and had everything I needed towels, soap and shampoo. In my room was tea, coffee biscuits and mints. I must add that the furniture was new and this included a modern TV fitted to the wall.
Jane took me downstairs and I was then introduced to Tom the chef who was immaculately dressed in his chef's attire. I was asked if I wanted a cooked meal but declined as I had a meal earlier. If I had known I was staying at the Liddesdale I would not have eaten earlier because the last time I stayed I had an evening meal and it was scrumptous and value for money.
I found the local people in the bar to be very friendly indeed which gave the place an
atmosphere which made me feel at ease..
Upon retiring to my room I had an excellent sleep in a bed which was warm, clean and very comfortable. I had an early start at 7am and upon entering the dining room I was asked by Tom once again immaculately dressed if everything was to my satisfaction. I told him most certainly. I was then sat down to a full traditional breakfast. Wow - fruit juice and cereal followed by two eggs, bacon, haggis, blackpudding, sausages, mushrooms, tomato and two crispy potato scones. I declined the beans and very little room for toast. I must say that this meal really set me up for the rest of the day. This without doubt was the best breakfast I have ever experienced whilst staying in hotels.
My next visit to Newcastleton will be on the 27th April when I will have to cover the Pirelli Rally. I just can't wait to stay at this hotel again as my stay was out of this world. I will be making an early booking ro ensure I am not disappointed.
I have read the previous review and I am sure they were not staying at the Liddesdale Hotel because everything that has been said is far from the truth and does not give this hotel or its staff the praise it so well deserves..

Room Tip: To enjoy my experience it has to be room 2 but I am sure the rest of the rooms are good too as my la...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank bjskiddaw
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newcastleton
0 mi away
#3 of 5 in Newcastleton
The Pheasant Inn
The Pheasant Inn
#1 of 1 in Stannersburn

Been to Liddesdale Hotel? Share your experiences!