“Poor service & unclean room”
Review of Liddesdale Hotel

Liddesdale Hotel
Liddesdale Hotel
Ranked #4 of 5 Newcastleton B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 11, 2012

A very disappointing stay at the Liddesdale Hotel. I read an earlier, highly complementary, review from someone who stayed in room 2 (which is the same room that we stayed in) who commented that the negative reviews seem as if they are written for another hotel - well I can't place his review as being for the same hotel as we experienced.

The room was dirty, the surfaces were dusty and didn't look like they'd been cleaned in a while, the carpet was heavily stained, and generally the room was very run down and in need of renovation and redecorating.

The sound on the TV was broken in such a way that it sounded like it was in another room. When asked when we checked out whether everything was OK with our stay, we mentioned the broken TV, but simply got a response of "oh yes, we had that in room 4 a while back - it's the speakers that have broken". No apology, nor attempt to try and resolve our dissatisfaction.

All in all a very disappointing stay, and we wouldn't return.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank 41n212

Reviewed June 4, 2012

Great area and hotel :) Tracey and all the staff were very friendly on my short stay. Food is excellent and my room was lovely. Newcastleton is a nice place but the weather wasnt great. Locals in the bar are great and everyone was very friendly. Shall definately be back if in the area.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank markwayne186525
Reviewed March 19, 2012

Once again the MSA Rally season has started and I had ro cover the Brick & Steel Rally which rook me once again to Newcastleton. This has been my second stay at the Liddesdale hotel and when I arrived at 8.15pm on the 17th March I was met by Jane whom I had never met before. Jane was very pleasant indeed and made me most welcome.
Jane then showed me to my room number 2, and upon entering I could see that the room was spotlessly clean throughout. The ensuite was also spotless and had everything I needed towels, soap and shampoo. In my room was tea, coffee biscuits and mints. I must add that the furniture was new and this included a modern TV fitted to the wall.
Jane took me downstairs and I was then introduced to Tom the chef who was immaculately dressed in his chef's attire. I was asked if I wanted a cooked meal but declined as I had a meal earlier. If I had known I was staying at the Liddesdale I would not have eaten earlier because the last time I stayed I had an evening meal and it was scrumptous and value for money.
I found the local people in the bar to be very friendly indeed which gave the place an
atmosphere which made me feel at ease..
Upon retiring to my room I had an excellent sleep in a bed which was warm, clean and very comfortable. I had an early start at 7am and upon entering the dining room I was asked by Tom once again immaculately dressed if everything was to my satisfaction. I told him most certainly. I was then sat down to a full traditional breakfast. Wow - fruit juice and cereal followed by two eggs, bacon, haggis, blackpudding, sausages, mushrooms, tomato and two crispy potato scones. I declined the beans and very little room for toast. I must say that this meal really set me up for the rest of the day. This without doubt was the best breakfast I have ever experienced whilst staying in hotels.
My next visit to Newcastleton will be on the 27th April when I will have to cover the Pirelli Rally. I just can't wait to stay at this hotel again as my stay was out of this world. I will be making an early booking ro ensure I am not disappointed.
I have read the previous review and I am sure they were not staying at the Liddesdale Hotel because everything that has been said is far from the truth and does not give this hotel or its staff the praise it so well deserves..

Room Tip: To enjoy my experience it has to be room 2 but I am sure the rest of the rooms are good too as my la...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank bjskiddaw
Reviewed June 14, 2011

Originally planned as a two night stay, quickly became one. Should have been none.
Apon arrival in the honeymoon suite we were greeted by what can only be discribed as bed bugs, crawling all over the carpet at end of the bed, under pillows, even dead ones in the bedside drawers. The room is'nt big so the little creatures had made it as for as the bathroom and wardrobe area. My partner and i complained and was then told the room had just been cleaned, however not stayed in very often. (the room did not look as if it had been hoovered in weeks)
We were then shown to another room which i can say was better maintained. However the bar was situated directly below this room and found our selfs feeling the vibrations of a very load jukebox until 1 in the morning. (bar closes at 12).
In all the hastle of moving rooms i forgot my car keys so went back down stairs to retrieve the honeymoon suite key, i was greeted by the comment of "your not having much luck", to which at the time we should of packed up and left.
Also very cold room.
On a good note (the only one) the evening meal was good.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank chjm_87
Reviewed May 12, 2011

I stayed at the Liddesdale Hotel on the 29th April 2011 having to cover the Pirelli Rally. Upon arrival I was met by Tracy the Manageress who presented me with a very warm welcome indeed.. I was shown the facilities and introduced to other members of staff including Andrew the chef. All the staff were very pleasant and polite. I also noticed that everything was clean and spotless and this included my room which was spacious and immaculate. The bed was clean and very comfortable.
I couldn't help but notice the generous helpings of food that was being served and l couldn't resist placing an order. The service was excellent and the food tasted as delicious as it looked. Compliments to Andrew the chef..
I was very impressed by the very high standard of this accommodation and is certainly value for money. In view of my findings I would strongly recommend this hotel for either a short or long stay. I will certainly stay abain and I look forward to meeting Tracy and Andrew and the remainder of the staff who made my stay so enjoyable.

Room Tip: My room had a lovely view of Newcastleton
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed April 11, 2011

the room was marketed as a suite with four poster bed.
We arrived and went upstairs, then the door opened and a very steep second saircase climbs into the attic. The four poster has hardly enough room to get down one side.
The heating wasnt on and it was freezing, this was recitified by the management. however upon returning at bed time it was cold again, we jumped into bed and then woke up middleof the night with radiator red hot. then in the morning freezing cold...
the room was expensive and not luxurious enough to justify the charges, the breakfaast wasnt great. I was asked how i wanted my fried egg. I requested runny and when it arrived it had burst and run underneath my bacon..

Room Tip: stay at the grapes next door
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank BMW_JEZ
Reviewed June 9, 2010

First night was great but we left on the second night when a member of staff/owner (jane) was obnoxious and rude and made us feel most unwelcome- shame as she spoilt what was turning out to be a nice visit.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
3  Thank muse35
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newcastleton
0 mi away
#3 of 5 in Newcastleton
The Pheasant Inn
The Pheasant Inn
#1 of 1 in Stannersburn

Been to Liddesdale Hotel? Share your experiences!