“let down”

Liddesdale Hotel
Liddesdale Hotel
Ranked #4 of 5 Newcastleton B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 14, 2011

Originally planned as a two night stay, quickly became one. Should have been none.
Apon arrival in the honeymoon suite we were greeted by what can only be discribed as bed bugs, crawling all over the carpet at end of the bed, under pillows, even dead ones in the bedside drawers. The room is'nt big so the little creatures had made it as for as the bathroom and wardrobe area. My partner and i complained and was then told the room had just been cleaned, however not stayed in very often. (the room did not look as if it had been hoovered in weeks)
We were then shown to another room which i can say was better maintained. However the bar was situated directly below this room and found our selfs feeling the vibrations of a very load jukebox until 1 in the morning. (bar closes at 12).
In all the hastle of moving rooms i forgot my car keys so went back down stairs to retrieve the honeymoon suite key, i was greeted by the comment of "your not having much luck", to which at the time we should of packed up and left.
Also very cold room.
On a good note (the only one) the evening meal was good.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank chjm_87
There are newer reviews for Liddesdale Hotel

Reviewed May 12, 2011

I stayed at the Liddesdale Hotel on the 29th April 2011 having to cover the Pirelli Rally. Upon arrival I was met by Tracy the Manageress who presented me with a very warm welcome indeed.. I was shown the facilities and introduced to other members of staff including Andrew the chef. All the staff were very pleasant and polite. I also noticed that everything was clean and spotless and this included my room which was spacious and immaculate. The bed was clean and very comfortable.
I couldn't help but notice the generous helpings of food that was being served and l couldn't resist placing an order. The service was excellent and the food tasted as delicious as it looked. Compliments to Andrew the chef..
I was very impressed by the very high standard of this accommodation and is certainly value for money. In view of my findings I would strongly recommend this hotel for either a short or long stay. I will certainly stay abain and I look forward to meeting Tracy and Andrew and the remainder of the staff who made my stay so enjoyable.

Room Tip: My room had a lovely view of Newcastleton
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed April 11, 2011

the room was marketed as a suite with four poster bed.
We arrived and went upstairs, then the door opened and a very steep second saircase climbs into the attic. The four poster has hardly enough room to get down one side.
The heating wasnt on and it was freezing, this was recitified by the management. however upon returning at bed time it was cold again, we jumped into bed and then woke up middleof the night with radiator red hot. then in the morning freezing cold...
the room was expensive and not luxurious enough to justify the charges, the breakfaast wasnt great. I was asked how i wanted my fried egg. I requested runny and when it arrived it had burst and run underneath my bacon..

Room Tip: stay at the grapes next door
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank BMW_JEZ
Reviewed June 9, 2010

First night was great but we left on the second night when a member of staff/owner (jane) was obnoxious and rude and made us feel most unwelcome- shame as she spoilt what was turning out to be a nice visit.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
3  Thank muse35
Reviewed November 8, 2009

Spent 2 nights here whilst cycling in the Kielder area.

I was very impressed by the standard of accommodation, the great food and above all the warm and friendly service. Good sized double room with very comfortable (and enormous) bed. Clean modern bathroom

Really enjoyed the food and a full cooked breakfast set me up well for my cycling exertions. Although on this trip I was alone, I shall definitley be returning with my wife and trying out the 4 poster room.

I'd strongly recommend this hotel to anyone coming to this area.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed September 5, 2009

This Hotel exceeded expectations and it's own website did not do it justice and the pebble-dash exterior does not portray it in the best light.

The beds & pillows were very comfortable in a spacious double room (Room 3) overlooking Douglas Square. One of the best Hotel beds we've slept in for many a year! The food was delicious from an reasonably extensive menu that offered more than standard fare and offered very good value. Dinning room was very quiet though.

The Hotel rooms & dining area have obviously been refurbished recently and it's been done to to a high standard along with LCD TV and comfortable bathroom. We noticed the external sign shows it's an AA 4 star hotel, despite old literature in the Hotel showing it as 3 star.

It is a great location from which you can explore the mid Border region and Kielder along with it’s Riever history plus plenty of good walking and cycling (esp Mountain biking - 7 Stanes).

It is a BT Openzone Wi-Fi Internet hotspot - this worked fine in the dining room and parts of the bar, but not in the bedroom.

Overall Bedrooms Rooms lovely, dining area tasteful, Bar standard but welcoming.

Only problem was with the shower temperature which occasionally was temperamental.

Good food, good room, at a great price - definitely recommend.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 22, 2009

Well appointed rooms, furnished and decorated very well. Bathroom clean and bright great shower over bath, complimentary Dove shower cream, shampoo & soap. Coffee tea, hot chocolate,mint creams & biscuits, telephone sky TV in your room all nice touches. Food was really great very interesting menu & great value, we had three course's each for £31. Breakfast was excellent, we didn't eat again until 6.30 in the evening. All the staff without exception were helpful friendly & professional. Newcastleton is a very small place with a lovely walk along the river, the surrounding scenery is outstanding and it is within easy driving distance of a lot of other towns and villages.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newcastleton
Grapes Hotel
#3 of 5 in Newcastleton
PoSHHuts
PoSHHuts
#1 of 1 in Falstone

Been to Liddesdale Hotel? Share your experiences!