“A review from a satisfied customer”

Hotel Playasol Cala Tarida
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Cala Tarida
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Just returned from a little gem in the med, finishing our weeks holiday on the 15th October, which was the closing date of the season for the hotel. The staff made one big table at lunchtime and all the customers staff ate together for the last lunchtime of the season, What a lovely way to end our holiday.

The staff were very friendly and would do anything for you. Previous reviews mention the staff were rude, I have to say that not once did I see any of them being anything other than professional but I did witness customers being rude to them.

The food and drink on offer was excellent considering this was classed as a two star hotel. We have stayed in some four star hotels where the food and drink was not as good. Some people complained about the choice of food and the temperature of the food. In the Med they don't have there food piping hot but if you wanted it piping hot there was a microwave. The prices we paid for the value we got was amazing and I feel sure that some people want everything for nothing.

It is a little difficult getting down to the beach but fantastic when you get there, the beach is very safe. There are some fantastic views from the hotel over the bay and brilliant sunsets. We were in a third floor room and could see all over the bay from our room.

Getting around to visit other areas of the island is very easy as the bus stops outside the hotel and goes into San Antonio, you can get a bus to most places on the island from this station.

This was a lovely hotel with good food, drinks, room that's cleaned everyday with clean bedding and towels daily, air conditioning, safe, with sky Tv if you wanted to watch it.

The lads who did the entertainment were quite funny and worked hard. The flamenco show we saw was very good and professional.

We loved it and would recommend this hotel and would definitely go back

Room Tip: Higher rooms have better views
3  Thank Gail H
Write a ReviewReviews (1,283)

Reviewed October 19, 2013

I stayed at the Club Cala Tarida from the 5th October for 7 nights, with my partner.

The beach is only 5 minutes away however, if anyone suffers with walking difficulties, getting to the beach will be a bit of an issue as it is down the HUGEST hill ever....I have calves like Fatima Whitbread from walking up and down! But it is worth it, as the beach is absolutly stunning. Crystal clear sea, and it is a lovely sandy beach. There are a couple of beach bars, but they are quite pricey. I think this is because there isn't a lot of competition for them. There is a fantastic restaurant down at the beach, and we had a delicious dinner down there however, this closed about half way through our stay, as it was the end of the season.

Cala Tarida is fabulous if you are looking for a quiet, relaxing break. There are a couple of supermarkets, a pharmacy, a couple of beach bars, and that is pretty much it. The restaurant opposite is lovely, and great for a cheeky nightcap once the all inclusive ends, and the Scottish lady who runs it with her hubby was lovely.

So...the hotel. Food wise, I honestly cannot fault it. There was a massive choice of foods, lovely fresh salads, freshly cooked meats, the usual English dishes, fresh bread and rolls, cold meats, the choice was endless. The breakfast was lovely, for the first time at an all inclusive they had ACTUAL sausages, not those silly frankfurters you seem to get everywhere else.

Pool area is great, plenty of loungers available, and a few of those four poster ones with matresses. The pool itself was clean, little cold, but I am sure in the summer it's fine. There was a quieter pool as well, but i didn't ever sit round that one, but it also looked great.

Drinks available all day, up until 11pm. I have seen a few comments about the bar staff being miserable, but I did not notice this at all, they were perfectly polite to us...but we were polite to them, so maybe that's where people were going wrong. Great choice of drinks, hot and cold...the measures are HUGE so beware :-) Snacks at the bar were ok...toasties, hot dogs, pastries and fruit.

Our room was overlooking the sea...which was beautiful, but the room was tiny...too small for two people. But it was clean, beds were very comfortable, extra pillows in the wardrobe, and other than the size, i couldn't fault it.

Entertainment wise, it could have been better. The 'Jack Black' look-a-like and the Italian guy did there best to get everyone involved during the day, and the shows they did in the evening were ok, but i do think it could do with improving. There was a magician type show on, which was a guy with a Monkey treading on glass, nails etc....who i had, incidently, seen in San Antonio the night before, selling photos with his Monkey!

If you don't want to stay in the hotel, it is very easy to get around. There is a bus stop right outside reception, where you can catch a bus to San Antonio and Ibiza Town, for about 3-4 Euros each way. Ibiza Town is well worth a visit, and we went to San Antonio a couple of evenings, the last bus back is quite early though, and a taxi back from San Antonio is about 20 Euros, and takes about 15-20 mins.

I will be honest, I probably wouldn't go back, but only because it is a little quiet for me. I think, if you are after a quiet, relaxing week away, and are planning on just sunbathing, and chilling out this would be perfect. I am 28, so not quite after those sort of holidays yet, but if that is what you are after, then the Club Cala Tarida would be perfect. And you cannot fault the value for money on this hotel :-)

Room Tip: If you are a smoker, you will need to stock up before you get there, only place to get any is in the...
2  Thank sam2804
Reviewed October 16, 2013

Stayed here with friends at the beginning of October. We had a lovely relaxing holiday
and we couldnt fault the hotel.
Its the only low star hotel i have been too where we havent had to pay a daily rate
for the air con - just a 10euro deposit secures the remote controls for the aircon
and the tv in the rooms. Another 5 euros a day for the safety deposit box.
The rooms are basic but have everything you need - although our rooms were on the bottom
floor 314 / 315 and the only view we had was of a wire fence and overgrown shrubs.
There is a hairdryer, plenty of storage space and they even provide a travel sized toothbrush / toothpaste,
shampoo and body wash.
The reception staff are very helpful - although more information about what could do in the
area would be useful.
The bus stop to San Antonio and Evissa stops right outside the hotel.

There is a lovely restaurant in Cala Tarida near the supermarket just outside the hotel -
run by Wendy (a scottish lady) and Pepe her husband. They had a 2 course set menu on for 20euros
a head and we had a lovely meal of Lobster.

There is nowhere to change money in Cala Tarida - you need to either take Euros with you or
go to a bank in San Antonio or Evissa - but they want to see a passport.

The beach is lovely (sea was full of jellyfish but speaking to people who said they werent
there the week before). Couple of bars and restaurants on the beach. Beware of cardiac hill -
this hotel is no good for anyone with walking difficulties if they like the beach.

Our only complaints are that there were no ashtrays provided in the room so this meant
lots of fag butts had been thrown in the grass - there was also a pair of mens
boxershorts (that had been there a while).
There were a lot of flies about (not the hotels fault) but i found a dead fly in some
of the cheese one day - fly traps and sprays would have come in handy. They did try to
rectify this by keeping the restaurant doors closed at meal times.
The plastic sun beds around the pool are really uncomfortable - a cushion would certainly help.
The entertainment wasnt up to much even though they try their best - maybe just a disco would be better as people seemed to want to dance towards the end of the night.
The walls are quite thin so you can hear a shower running or a toilet flush.

All in All we had a lovely time - i probably wouldnt return as Cala Tarida was a bit too quiet for my liking - i like to walk around but there wasnt much to see. But i wouldnt hesitate to recommend the hotel.

Room Tip: Id try and get a high level room as you will have a better view.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank hamilton
Reviewed October 16, 2013

I stayed here with my partner for a quiet romantic break at the beginning of October and enjoyed every minute. I will review this hotel honestly....here goes.......

Good Points:
Location is fantastic (if you want it quiet) It's very close to the beach although it's down quite a steep hill. The bars on the beach are also really really good especially the one halfway down where you can lay and watch the sunset - amazing!!
The food we found to be really good, plenty of choice and cooked well. If you want good English food stay in the UK!
An ample variety of drinks to choose from so never a problem there either!
Room size was good, more than enough for the 2 of us.
There's 2 pools, the main one has double four poster sunbeds which we're lovely and there were always sunbeds available so no need for the mega early mornings! Infact we arrived just after lunch and there were some still available then. There's also a really shallow one round the back which we didn't use but looked really quiet.
The bus stop is right outside the hotel and are very frequent. For only 3.40 euros each way we spent a day in Ibiza Town which was well worth the visit. Beautiful views from the top of the cathedral.

Bad Points:
Rooms were dated but this didn't impact on our stay whatsoever as hardly any time is spent in there!
The room walls are very thin and you can everything from the rooms next door (and i mean everything!)
Ques for the bar could get quite bad (more staff required at busy times).
Entertainment isn't brilliant but just your usual Spanish style stuff. It filled a couple of hours i suppose :0/

All in all we had a lovely stay here and if i wanted the same type of holiday again i would definately return as i think it's excellent value for money!

1  Thank Tanyab1979
Reviewed October 14, 2013

me my girlfriend and son stayed in july . wow what a great hotel 2mins from the gorgeus beech . the choice of food was out of this world and everything tasted exellent . the rooms are cleaned to a high standard and left smelling fresh . the staff were great and constantly cleaning . ice cream and every drink you can imagine available . sandwiches salad bowls and fruit available all day and as much ice cream my son can eat . all in all a very nice place to stay with lovely pools ,jaccuzi ,gymnasium and kids club . you cannot go wrong here . and the bus station is on the doorstep if you want to go exploring 10/10

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Glynn H
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Upon arriving, I was given the key and I went to my room, dropped off my luggage and went downstairs for a drink. The bar staff were mostly very grumpy, and couldn't pull a pint of beer, just because it was all inclusive, I didn't think I should be given slop.
I left the hotel to eat, and went to bed quite early, only to be woken in the night by ants crawling on my face. I had two large swellings on my face for the rest of the week from ant bites. When I pointed the ants out the cleaning woman, she dismissed me and pointed to a sealed bottle of fizzy I had on the chest of drawers.
The breakfast that I had been looking forward to, consisted of some kind of omelette and toast. As a vegetarian I had hoped they might have some more extensive choice, and didn't fancy eating the mouldy pastries.
Lunch and dinner were equally bad, fish, meat and what looked like frozen or canned/pickled vegetables were on offer, and I saw numerous ants crawling around the "hot holding" area, which in fact consisted of some display lights, and no effort was made to keep the food warm.
Some of the staff were pleasant. A few of the receptionists were friendly and helpful, and one of the two entertainment staff was passable.
The plastic chair on the balcony was broken, and ripped my dress, it was also filthy, like the sheets, and towels, which appeared to have blood stains on them.
The gardens mentioned on the website were littered with rubbish, and the fitness facilities were made up of a dirty jacuzzi, which had what I hope was sand floating around in it, a knackered treadmill and a fair selection of weights.
I certainly wouldn't recommend this hotel to old, young, families, middle age or anybody else. I would hope that they might offer an explanation other than it was end of season. I had hoped to enjoy my end of the year holiday, but instead found myself spending my holiday budget on food outside of the hotel almost every day, travel away from the hotel and insect repellent to stop the bites and buzzes.
Do not go there if you can possibly avoid it!

Room Tip: Please do not go there unless you are fond of insects and poor food.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Flynnl1
Reviewed October 14, 2013

After reading previous reviews I was looking forward to our stay at this hotel. Stayed with a family member and we had two rooms. I would rate this hotel as struggling to make 2 stars, and not over and above as some reviewers state!

The outside of the hotel looked tired, worn and in need of maintenance. Broken benches, a fountain which did not work, broken bins, vegetation that needed to be looked after are just a few examples of minor things that all add up to make a negative first impression.

Check in was swift and easy in a lobby which looked professional and clean. I did not have to pay a deposit for TV or AirCon remotes as is shown on their website. I was told where my room was as there were no signs to help me navigate through the pool area and the side of a stage.

The room was functional and just on the small side for one person. Mine had double bed, wardrobe with very few hangers, an enormous old fashioned TV on a bracket on the wall, a tiny chest of drawers and two bedside drawer units. Although the room had a double bed in it, there would have been no way two people could have stayed in that size of room. There was a phone in the room, but no instructions or numbers for reception etc. The other room was worse off; it had no chair or phone. The view from the corridor to our rooms was of a road where the hotel dumped rubbish that was not collected by waste contractors, such as broken poolside chairs etc.

Room cleanliness was okay on the bits you could see easily, but disgusting on places like insides of drawers, wardrobes, bathroom grouting etc. This was not surprising considering the maid spent less than ten minutes making the bed and cleaning each day! The maid left soap scum around the bath for two days. I was also lucky if she left enough toilet roll in the bathroom each day. The bed cover was stained and not changed once while I was there.

On the first morning my family member woke to an infestation of ants crawling out of her bathroom sink. Upon telling the maid and asking for it to be dealt with, we were told it was because of a closed bottle of diet coke in the room and there was very much an unpleasant accusation that it was our fault; pathetic customer service from that member of staff.

The bar area is uninviting and if you are a non-smoker don’t expect to get away from the cigarette smell, even inside! The older bar-maid did not smile once while I was there and only spoke when she really had to. The younger bar-maid was better. The bar-maids were never working together, so just one person behind the bar at rush-hour meant long queues especially when drinks were served in tiny plastic cups.

Food in the restaurant was one meat, one fish and occasionally one vegetarian dish. The meat dishes were low standard for an all-inclusive hotel in Ibiza. Cooked breakfasts were quite greasy and under cooked to the point that the microwave wouldn’t help. We spent most evenings out to find edible food (there is a lovely bar/restaurant in Cala Tarida which is run by a Scottish lady and I highly recommend this place).

The area of Cala Tarida that this hotel is in, is a lovely sea-side village with two small ‘corner-shops’, a bar, a bar/restaurant and a pharmacy. The beech is pretty, sandy and only a short walk from the hotel.

All in all, I wouldn’t recommend this hotel, or stay there again. For a two star hotel, this one is well below the mark and Cala Tarida deserves better. Regardless of our stay being towards the end of season, there is no excuse for poor customer service or poor quality.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Aparthotel Playasol Jabeque Soul
Hotel Ole Galeon Ibiza
Hotel Ole Galeon Ibiza
#1 of 8 in Port de Sant Miguel

Been to Hotel Playasol Cala Tarida? Share your experiences!