“Riccardo” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Cas Catala
Chorley, United Kingdom
“Riccardo”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

Spent five days at this hotel, staff & facilities were excellent. The reason for my visit was business however, will visit again.

Beatifully located on the bay this relatively quite hotel is ideal for couples who wish to take time out and be a pampered.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Kent, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

We had a distributor/sales meeting here. The facility and staff were excellent. It was off season and we had almost the whole hotel to ourselves. The staff was very responsive and we had assinged to us a hotel worker to help coordinate all of our activities there. The coordinator made recommendations for restaurnats and coordinated a bus for our group. The food was outstanding and the whole trip very relaxing and well organized. They have a nice bar/lounge area that our group used for informal meet and greets and they were able to prepare very nice informal food for our group at a moments notice. I would recommend it for a meeting or adult event.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
London, U.K.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

Visited this hotel for a long weekend with my Mother early in 2013.

It was no more than a 15 minute cab ride from the airport - E30. The cabs are easily picked up outside the arrivals....I had asked the hotel if I could book a car through them but they only offer a limo service which at E70 seemed a bit steep.

We received a lovely welcome on arrival at the hotel and were offered a complimentary champagne drink on the beautiful terrace while the paperwork was being organized. We ended up having a fantastic lunch on the terrace which was helped by the glorious sunshine.

First impression was that this is a very beautiful old building with a fantastic view somewhat spoiled by a few neighbouring buildings with satellite dishes on display but this is kind of forgiven especially if the weather is good.

We were given a tour by the extremely helpful Danielle enroute to our rooms which were housed in the eco building. This, to all intents and purposes is a completely different hotel situated across the road from the Maricel. Unfortunately, we hadn’t realised this building would be as far as it was from the main hotel and even though the building itself is really very nice, once inside there were a few too many steps and quite a walking distance for my Mum so I enquired if it would be possible to change our rooms for ones in the main building. I was told this would be possible at an additional cost if we wanted rooms with a sea view. However, if we were prepared to take the rooms without this view there would be no additional charge. We were taken to see the rooms in question (at the back of the house facing the mountains) and even though they were far less appealing than the eco dreamer rooms, mindful of my Mums feet we decided to move.

A few things about the hotel.....The Spa is very nice indeed and also includes a small gym which I used quite a lot and as our stay was out of season had all to myself - unfortunately the treadmill was out of service.
The hotel staff I found extremely helpful and the one restaurant recommendation we were given turned out to be excellent - Forn Da San Joan in Palma.
One thing I did find a bit odd was that they don’t offer an iron/board in the rooms??? You can use their in-house ironing facility (at a charge of course)....have never come across that one before.
Also the rooms do not have a tea making service.

Expect to pay E15 for a cab into Palma, alternatively the no 3 bus stops right outside the hotel and that costs approx E2.

I had read about the famous Maricel breakfast, so booked this ahead in advance - it cost an additional E15 as we’d paid for a room with the regular breakfast included. It was really nice.....I wouldn’t have it again though....it’s a tasting menu so you get lots of fancy little bits served in tiny glasses etc - all a bit arty farty.....but not bad. The regular breakfast is more than adequate with everything you could want.

On our second evening as it was raining and a bad night we decided to eat in the hotel restaurant which is situated just off the main reception. I’d imagine that in summertime this space would be very vibey with a warm relaxed atmosphere. Unfortunately due to it being extremely cold outside the space wasn’t much warmer inside and we were cold throughout the meal. I really would have expected the hotel to heat this space if being used as a restaurant. The food itself was great but due to poor communication between the waiter and kitchen staff the fries I’d ordered to come with my steak didn’t arrive, they were then re ordered and after waiting close to 5 minutes I asked if they could keep my steak warm while I waited for the fries. In the meantime my Mum had finished her main and by the time mine came back out the whole mix up had kind of spoiled the meal. I wouldn’t recommend the restaurant to be honest.

One of the main things that lets the hotel down I have to say is the restaurant staff. On a number of occasions (as already mentioned at dinner and also breakfast) orders were incorrectly taken and when we needed something the waiters weren’t always around and just never seemed to be that aware of how our meal was progressing or our needs in general.

One thing I like about hotels is being able to just chill out in your room in front of the TV with room service food. We tried this on one of the evenings....ordering 2 chicken sandwiches and a portion of fries. As the only english channel they seem to have in the room is Sky News we attempted to watch a film on my laptop but as the WiFi in the hotel isn’t that great this endeavor eventually had to be abandoned due to it stalling and buffering constantly. I would have thought netflix in all the rooms in a hotel of this standard appropriate. The food arrived and we discovered the chicken sandwiches we’d ordered came with fries which the person taking our order had failed to tell us so we’d ordered an extra portion needlessly (again poor communication). Not having a tea service in the room is really quite annoying as it’s after a meal like this that I really quite fancy a cup of tea and didn’t fancy calling room service again in order to get one of their very small pots of luke warm tea.....these small things make all the difference!!

All in all though I found the Maricel to be a very nice hotel but it just lacked some of the comfort I had expected.

Could this be the place? Not quite there I’m afraid!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank couldthisbetheplace
Prague, Czech Republic
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

February on Mallorca? Why not? Blooming almond trees and refreshing weather. We took a risk and it was great. The Maricel Hospes is really a great place to stay. The hotel is charming and its location is fantastic. You feel rather like living in a castle than a typical 5* hotel. The sound of the sea will be heard in your room. The quality of the service was satisfactory. The food was nice (I agree with some former voices - overpriced) and even tasting better when served on the terrace. The room was clean and comfortable but quite a big bad surprise was lack of warm water for 2 days. Fortunately we were used to swim in the outdoor pool (+15C) so somehow we survived that inconvenience. The SPA is relatively small but nice. If you count for using the fitness, consider there are only 3 pcs of fitn. equipment. The great advantage of the stay in a low season was quiet. Well deserved and appreciated.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013 via mobile

This hotel was refurbished from and old villa. It retains much of the original exterior features but inside they have completely gutted and started from scratch with a very modern feel. The rooms are quite large and the bathrooms are great...one if the best shower's ever.
Get a ocean view room...well worth the few extra $$. Very Good hotel overall but just lacks the surrounding services. Not much to speak of in the way if restaurants or shops nearby. That said its only €5 into the centre of Palma with a taxi.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Connors_Mum72
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

What a beautiful building, from the moment you enter you'll feel you are somewhere special. Our room was in the new modern wing which is accessed by a underpass walkway away from the main building... it was amazing, a big bath in the middle, a shower and toilet enclosed by glass.. the room is very modern and perfectly designed. Our bed faced out onto our own private pool... small, and too cold to swim in but ultra relaxing. Felt like being in Bali resort.

Check-in and check-out was slow, staff here are in desperate need of structure and management so don't expect too much from the employees in any part of this hotel. The internet was patchy, it's important for me but I suppose not for many others. The spa is located in the new wing, a surprise to find the high end design layout... impressive.

Many other reviews mentioned the pool loungers. Many of them are broken, cheap things they are and very out of place with this hotel... I can only hope that they have been replaced or will be by the time summer 2013 arrives.

Breakfast is outside on the balcony overlooking the sea, it's a great start to the day! Lunch here was also really nice, we enjoyed every meal and everyday being at the Maricel, I hope you'll love it too.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Palma de Mallorca, Spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2012

probably my most favorite verandah to sit and relax in a winter sunny day! maybe to crowd in summer, its for me a perfect winter place.
the beds are super comfy, good amenities and if you get a room with a patio outside to the sea its amazing view.
the breakfast is good, large choice.
the only thing missing was someone which greets you when you arrive at the entrance, that was for sure a bit of a disappointment

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Hotel Pure Salt Garonda
#2 of 78 in Playa de Palma
Hotel Pure Salt Port Adriano
Hotel BonSol Resort & Spa

Been to Hospes Maricel Mallorca & Spa? Share your experiences!