“Do not go. RUDE hostess!”
Review of En Bonne Compagnie

En Bonne Compagnie
Reserve with
En Bonne Compagnie is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 9 Restaurants in Homps
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed October 10, 2012 via mobile

Let first start by saying that we did not eat at this restaurant. So, we cannot honestly judge the food. We approached the restaurant after a beautiful day of boating down the Canal du Midi. We were clean, coiffed and hungry. But, we certainly were not in our best clothing. But, we had shoes, nice shorts and casual shirts. It was 6:45 when we sat down. The hostess came out with a scowl and told us that the restaurant didn't open until 7:00 and that she had plenty of reservations already. She told us to leave in so many words. So, we did. Read my reviews--we go to some of the most expensive and fanciest restaurants around. We are respectful and presentable. She obviously looked at our clothing and didn't deem it worthy of her establishment. We went back to the restaurant about 45 minutes later and there were plenty of tables open (see picture -- taken from a distance so as to avoid having to even see her again). She is unprofessional and rude. Even if the food is great, don't go there.

6  Thank Tennek
ingoodco, Owner at En Bonne Compagnie, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2012

Thank you for your analysis. When you arrived at 18:45 we were busy setting up the terrace for service and just like a shop we have a set opening time (19:00) when we are ready to accept customers.

Regarding your guess that your attire had been judged as not “worthy of the establishment” unfortunately you have jumped to a completely incorrect conclusion – as a small local restaurant we serve not only tourists, many of whom are in casual holiday gear, but we also have many workers who come and eat with us who are very often in work clothes and who are never refused nor judged upon their dress.

We do agree that this is not actually a restaurant review as you did not use our facilities, nor taste the food, nor were served during our opening hours. Therefore your grading of the establishment is not actually relevant nor appropriate on several counts.

As suggested in your own evaluation, I also recommend that other reviews should be used in comparison - of the 100 customers who actually did stay and enjoy our establishment and who voted it excellent.

Reviewed October 6, 2012

There were 8 of us ending our canal trip. We were welcomed by the lady owner and seated in the dinning room. Several of the men had steak, which was cooked perfectly and tender, Ladies tried the fish, which was very bland. The fish sauce was good, but fish had no taste. The desserts are to die for! Overall, we had a wonderful last night on our trip.

Reviewed October 5, 2012

After reading all the good reviews we went with anticipation for a lunch at the Bonne Compagnie, to celebrate our wedding anniversary. I had booked in advance, we were four adults and two small children.
Upon arrival our table was on the small terrace. I found the terrace some stuffy, between the high walls and almost no view on the Canal du Midi. The corner where our table was standing was near a well, I think. In any case, we found the smell unpleasant and we asked if we could take a different table. That was possible, but from that moment the service was very curt and cool. We felt not very welcome anymore. Atthat table was not enough shade so one of us had to sit in the sun, which is unpleasant as the middle of the day.
The food was a bit disappointing too. The gazpacho was bitter and did not have much flavor. The fish dish was dominated by the much too sour oriental vegetables. The dessert was delicious.
We were a bit disappointed, on this festive day.

2  Thank CarTNed
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I've been to this restaurant twice - both times were decent experiences.
Tonight I attempted to go again - solo, and they refused to seat me.
The restaurant was barely 1/3rd full but they tried to put me off with "a sudden rush - at least 30 minutes wait for food". I was in no rush so said I didn't mind, the waiter then says he has to check with the owner. She arrives and tries the same line (I should have realised at this point!) but again I said I was in no rush - to which she replies "I can't afford to give up a 2 top"! This is late September, and the restaurant is hardly full, and clearly not fully booked.

I have never been refused a table because of dining alone before. I will not dine here again with any friends or family.

6  Thank Ian J
Reviewed September 26, 2012

This is a small restaurant beside the canal du midi with strong English connections but very good French food. It is popular with the locals and booking was essential in September.