“Best Vindaloo around”

If you like curries, this place has the best Beef Vindaloo on the Peninsula

Visited March 2012
1 Thank PSUPS

Melbourne
“Unassuming gem in Blairgowrie”
Reviewed April 9, 2012

As a long time holiday maker and sometime resident I have often lamented the lack of decent food on the Peninsula, particularly in the Sorrento/ Portsea/ Blairgowrie area where location, lack of competition and holiday crowds (year round now it seems) mean local restaurants don't have to try too hard to get a constant stream of customer. But just because they don't have to doesn't mean they shouldn't! So that is why my husband and our gourd of friends were delighted to find this place.

It is located in the Boathouse Motel. People who have holiday houses less than a kilometre away often don't even know it is there. It's looks like an off little bistro and you would assume it would serve up an array of bland 'holiday' food. You'd be Oh. So. Wrong!

This place is owned and operated by a couple who also owned the Hawthorn restaurant of the same name. The husband is Indian and therefore it is no surprise that the menu is dominated by dished of his homeland. And boy does he do it well. He has a full tandoor oven and makes some of the best naan bread I've ever had. Almost every time we visit Annie, the wife who serves as the hostess tells us we've ordered too much bread in her attempt to curb our over the top ordering. We always finish it though. The curries are also pretty good. Servings are quite small so if you're starving you will probably want some entrees as well (or do as we do and load up on that divine bread!). The other standout is the chill mussels (not always on the menu but I think you can request them). The very first time my husband tried them he asked for a straw, the sauce was so good. We have now figured out that all we need is a bowl of mussels and some of that divine bread and we're in heaven.

And while the Indian side of things are the focus pretty much everything is good. I've had some spectacular oysters here and I've also heard great things about the steak. It's the kind of food you expect from someone who cares deeply about what he puts on a plate. In fact the only time we were disappointed was when we turned up and they didn't have mussels. I could complain about that but that would be completely unfair as we were told that the reason they didn't have mussels is because the chef was not happy with the quality he was offered by his supplier that day. So despite that fact we went without mussels that night I was very impressed by the fact that they chose to maintain their standards rather than cash in on a packed house. Finally, a chef with some integrity down this way! Give these guys a go and don't be put off by the odd decor. You will most likely be very pleasantly surprised.

• Visited March 2012