“New Marriott Tokyo Shinagawa - April 2014”

Tokyo Marriott Hotel
Los Angeles, California
“New Marriott Tokyo Shinagawa - April 2014”
Reviewed April 21, 2014

Previously the Hotel Laforet Tokyo and most cab drivers will only know this name so be sure to take a business card with you. This is definitely a new Marriott brand for the hotel. The rooms are a little on the small size even for Tokyo. Room size is not much different than the Courtyard Ginza. Internet service is excellent. Definitely goes for an upscale group of Americans and Japanese. The only weakness is the distance from a subway. They have a free shuttle to Shinagawa station running every 20 minutes, but the freedom to just walk to the subway and then onward lends convenience to the Courtyard Ginza. Staff is quite friendly and everyone speaks English well. The nice thing is that the Narita Express goes through Shinagawa station. The Orange Limousine Bus does stop at the Marriott Tokyo. While wonderful accommodations worthy of 5 stars, the inconvenience of not being within walking distance to a subway stop is a weakness. It costs an additional 730-1000 Yen for cab fare each way. So sightseeing trips can get expensive quickly.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Tijuana, Mexico
Reviewed April 14, 2014

-This place is going through some growing pains. Booked for 3 nights and were told on night 2 we needed to check out and check back in to change rooms for the last 2 nights. Even as Marriot platinum members, they just shrugged their shoulders and said, oh well.
-Check-in is like a 100-yd walk from the front doors, which I thought strange.
-The gym cost $11 before 9AM and $27 after 9AM. A few rusted out treadmills and some machines. Pool is downstairs and I didn't use it for fear af being charged another $30.
-Breakfast buffet is average to below-average and costs $34. They have a juicer surprisingly!
-Location is great. 5 minute cab ride to Shinagawa station where you can connect to anywhere, and a quick drive from Haneda airport.
-Wifi was free but speed was so-so. Could only Skype/Facetime late at night when the servers were less busy.
-Bed was very Japanese. Firm, but comfortable.
-Toilet controller is very complex, and if you can figure it out I have a few atoms for you to split.
-All in all, I'd try someplace different next time.

Room Tip: Most rooms on the second floor have zero view.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank barneypilot
T-Marriott-H, Front Office Manager at Tokyo Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, April 20, 2014
Thank you very much for using Marriott every time.
But we are very sorry make you butther this stay at Tokyo Marriott Hotel.
We must off an electric power due to a legal inspection and no one can stay with us on 13th of April.

Once again, I apologize for the inconvenience we caused you and hope that we have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future.
Sunningdale
Reviewed April 13, 2014

Stayed here for 5 days in March 2014 and much fell way under expectations for a Marriott.

#1 - We booked two rooms -- king and twins connected -- and were given two rooms with two twins not connected. They apologized and claimed the rate didn't cover what we requested. We would have preferred notice when we booked.

#2 - We ordered Dominoes on the third night and it was held hostage by the bellman until we went down to be scolded. "No outside food allowed" but they made an exception after a thorough bashing. By the bellman. We spent easily $250 in the restaurant in the hotel prior to ordering pizza. Seems a silly rule regardless.

#3 -- The room service menu is very Japanese. If you are Western and have kids, be aware their room service is very expensive and the pizza has seafood it (which is why we ordered Dominoes). You can always bring in from the Family Mart, of course.

#4 -- They made a point of asking for our Marriott rewards card, which we supplied, but they never entered it. So, no points.

#5 -- Taxis are surprisingly difficult to get from a hotel so close to a major Tokyo train station. Plan ahead and even call down to order one ahead of time if you are on a schedule. Walking out to the street to get a taxi is unpleasant.

#6 -- Beds and pillows are uncomfortable for a Marriott.

#7 -- We were not tourists on this trip but if we were, the location was horrible. Try Shinjuku or Ebisu.

Positives

We have a cat and our company goofed when booking us here as the Marriott has a no pet policy. Understandable. They were very helpful in providing recommendation for a nearby pet hotel over the phone. Luckily, we know Tokyo as once we checked in, the bellman tried to send us to Ebisu instead of down the street.

The restaurant/bar food is very nice. I was never sure of the menu difference between restaurant and bar so always chose bar as that felt more pleasant.

Free, quality wifi throughout the lobby.

View was nice from our mid-rise room.

Overall, stay was fine but for a hotel that wants to accommodate (or does accommodate) Western guests, they need some pointers from corporate.

Room Tip: go high as the view can be quite nice, obviously
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank artcaro
Thank you for taking the time to comment on tripadvisor.
I was most concerned to read your comments particularly about the room and points.
First of all sometimes the room customer reserve is no guranteed twin or double. It depends on which plan customer choose. We try to adjust on the customer's request upon arrival , but sometimes it is difficult during high occupancy period.
Regarding points, we've already have the reward number if the customer uses marriott.com and input their number. if you find you don't earn any points on this stay, could you please let us know and we will take appropriate action.

On the other hand, I appreciate your positve comments of our reservation team and facility.
I will share it with our team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Tokyo Marriott Hotel in the near future.
Philadelphia
Reviewed April 8, 2014

This hotel recently became part of the Marriott chain. when you arrive you can tell that the Marriott people didn't build it. There's a big open atrium space in the entry area and its kind of dark and not very inviting when you first enter. The location is great as its a short taxi ride to the main train station. The resterant is right in the entry foyer and is open to the lobby area. Guess I just didn't like the layout of the lobby plus the resterant staff were not the friendliest. The room was nice and in good shape. The AC system worked well which is key and the wifi was ok. The concierge lounge is on the first floor by the registration desk which a number of reviewers didnt like but it didn't bother me. I actually prefer the Ginza Courtyard property to this one.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank rikwynn
T-Marriott-H, Front Office Manager at Tokyo Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to comment your experience with the Tokyo Marriott Hotel.

We were, however, concerned to read that the lobby was not appeal to you, and we did not completely meet your expectations in the restaurant service.
We will review our services, we do welcome guests’ comments so that we can cater closely to your needs.

We look forward to welcoming you back toTokyo Marriott Hotel in the near future..
Houston, Texas
Reviewed April 6, 2014

Nice hotel and good location. Rooms are really clean. Breakfast can improve with more options. The breakfast place can improve with a centralize table and the options. You need to walk around and find out where the food, fruits, etc... Not systematic way to serve. Decoration is good and the location around a park is nice. There is an area to stay outside and have a drink. Really nice. There is a balcony but without access. I did not like that. It is convenient based on the location. Closest to the train station and Haneda airport.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

It's a10 minute walk to the train station. There isn't much of interest in the neighborhood; but you can be in Tokyo Station or Shinjuku relatively easily. The room was standard, clean, hot water in the shower, etc. It's really fine; there is nothing outstanding.

Stayed March 2014
Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

Coming to the end of a five country, nine city business trip of East Asia, I have stayed at one Courtyard, two JW's and three Marriotts. This is by far the worst. In fact probably the worst Marriott I have ever stayed at worldwide.

What can I say that is positive? It is a short taxi ride (700¥) from Shinagawa and there is a shuttle bus (shared with office workers so get in the queue early!).

On being dropped off with a large suitcase, laptop and handbag, there were no porters of bellboys to greet me. I made my way into the lobby, and felt as if I was walking in through the back door. To check in it is a good walk through the bar/ lounge area to a body reception area. Apparently though I had come to the right door, it is just laid out very strangely, with no welcoming reception lobby on arrival.

Despite being a Marriott Rewards card holder, and having spent over thirty nights in Marriott hotels so far this year, I didn't receive any particular welcome (every single other hotel has offered me refreshments on arrival after a long journey and/or arranged fruit in my room).

My room was very small, fortunately it's just me - certainly not adequate for two, and the bathroom is something you might find in a Blackpool B&B (suggest that the manager reads Notes From A Small Island by Bill Bryson if he doesn't know what I am talking about), with a very pokey bathtub/shower. I find it odd that with such a large building with a labyrinth of wide corridors downstairs, the rooms themselves are so mean.

Sleep quality? Hahaha! On the 11th floor, overlooking the railway line. In Tokyo the train drivers must exist on five hours sleep as the noise from the trains (if there was a 60second reprieve this was peaceful!) started from 6am and continued until 1am. Earplugs are a must!

So arriving fairly late, I got myself settled and browsed the room service menu ringing to order something light at just after 11pm. If you are hungry between 11pm and 6am then that's tough. No room service- I ask you!?! In a Marriott?!!?

As in most Tokyo hotels, the gym area is payable, although the price for a very shabby and tired looking gym, shared with the office next door is extortionate ($20), and payable daily.

Wifi is complimentary for Marriott Rewards card holders, but is otherwise incredibly expensive.

I can safely say that my next visit to Tokyo I will be staying elsewhere. For $200 per night this just doesn't meet my needs. I would suggest that being a fairly new Marriott, the staff are encouraged to visit other hotels within the brand and see what expectations of customers are having stayed elsewhere. This falls well below my requirements.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank WoodTiger77
T-Marriott-H, Front Office Manager at Tokyo Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
It was a special privilege to have welcomed you to Tokyo Marriott Hotel and I should like to thank you for your evaluation and comments.

We were, however, concerned to read that we did not completely meet your expectations with regard to check-in procedures. I have reviewed your comments with our staff and have taken steps to improve this important aspect of our service. Moreover your comment on gym, we are still working with the fitness gym to reach an agreement, but it's not been reached yet, which makes it very difficult for us to provide a free usage of gym.

We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to our hotel once again and, in the interim, please accept my best wishes.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shinagawa
The Prince Sakura Tower Tokyo
Shinjuku
Hyatt Regency Tokyo
Hyatt Regency Tokyo
#6 of 81 in Shinjuku

Been to Tokyo Marriott Hotel? Share your experiences!