“good area, but inadequate”

New Otani Inn Tokyo
Ranked #10 of 42 Hotels / Ryokan in Shinagawa
Reviewed January 26, 2014

3 nights january 2014

first the good points:
- the area (Osaki) is good. Really close to the Yamanote (JR), a short ride to Shinjuku, Shibuya-area and just 1 station to Shinagawa (Shinkansen and Narita-Express)
- there is also a big supermarket in the basement of the building (nicer than just the Conbini / Lawson)

negative:
- you only get free internet in lobby! In your room you even have to pay for LAN! I think in 2014 this is for middle class hotel not acceptable. It cost more than 1'000 Yen (24h). In budget hotel or hostel ok, but not for this price.
- I had to sleep with earplugs (I'm living downtown so I'm really used to noise), but if you can hear your neighbor snore... and the TV till midnight....
- the room was ok, tiny but thats normal in Japan. The interior 20 years + also a bit normal in Japan, but still... There are way nicer hotels in Tokyo for that price.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Nils G

Reviewed January 26, 2014

I recently stayed at this hotel for one week. Arrived after a nineteen hour flight from Australia (including stopover in Singapore). The taxi let me off at what was sign-posted as Main Entrance - but there was not a soul about, it was deserted and the hotel felt like it was in the middle of nowhere with no life about. After dragging my tired bones through the doors I eventually saw the lift which notified a different Main Entrance on the Third Floor. This entrance is staffed 24 hours. My room was tiny, but it was spotlessly clean, and felt like an old-fashioned holiday caravan (or motor home as some in the USA call them). I was nervous standing in the bath/shower as it creaked and felt flimsy, I kept imagining it falling down onto the next floor (and I'm only 63kilos!).
The Hotel does not have a concierge and no-one spoke any English. I actually didn't mind this as it made me work that much harder at finding my way around. I wouldn't call this a Business Hotel as business people would expect and need so much more - at least wifi in the rooms. The lobby is a few chairs gathered around a couple of tables - more like a backpackers quality than a hotel.

Positives are that it is right on the Osaki Train Station and has a large supermarket and pharmacy and a few other basic shops right next door. Just a few stops from Shibyu, Harijuku and Shinjuku on the JR line.

Room Tip: If you do stay at this hotel ask for their largest and request to see a photograpy
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed January 22, 2014

I'd like to share some other impressions of mine about this hotel, since many tourists have already noted positively about the location which is just a minute walk from JR Osaki station.

We stayed in a room with a double size bed for 3 nights in January 2014. Price including breakfasts are reasonable, and facilities are clean and tidy.
There was a little thing what I was concerned. It is that their cervices is mostly focused to Japanese guests. At the reception and canteen, the staffers are polite and efficient, but they never replied to my husband's greeting in English. It is just some simple words everyone knows like "Hello", "Good morning!" or "Thank you." They dared to reply in Japanese. Are they too shy or what?
I have to say that those attitudes made us feel unfriendly and uncomfortable.
Also, news papers offered to the guests with courtesy were all Japanese. No English channels like CNN, BBC or Bloomsburg is available on TV.

It is a little tips for foreign travelers who are interested in the hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 16, 2014

My back hurts. This isn’t good. I’m 12,000 miles from home in the middle of a month-long trip through Asia, and instead of being comfortably perched at a desk in my hotel room I am sitting on a tiny chair in the public lobby of the New Otani Hotel because this is NOT, despite their claims, a good business hotel. I hate to disagree with reviewer "Huzefac" but you CAN go wrong with this hotel. And I did.

I have been at this hotel about a week, and to be completely honest it does 90% of the important things just right. Sadly, the 10% it does wrong are some of the really important things business travellers need. Let me touch on some of the mis-adventures you are likely to endure here:

Its easy to get to the hotel. It is connected by walk-way from the Osaki train station, and is built on top of a nice shopping mall. The lobby is on the third floor, and while the staff won’t tell you there are numerous nice restaurants and bars on the second floor (down one floor from the lobby). There also is a Starbucks about 300 meter to the east. Visit them every chance you get.

Check-in for me was smooth and easy. However, I had a colleague arrive on an early morning flight and the hotel refused to let him check-in early unless he paid a fine of $10/hour. That’s a terrible way to impress a new customer!

While I have been in many Japanese hotels, these rooms are very small and really not adequate. While it was spotlessly clean, it was just not up to the task. The bed is narrow. The desk is so tiny it can barely hold an iPad. The TV only has Japanese channels – no CNN, no BBC. The bathroom is a one-way deal; you must know what you’re doing on the way in because you cannot turn around once you’re in there. The shower worked fine, lots of hot water and good pressure, but the bar of soap was microscopically small. The room door is locked with a key – what happened to digital key cards? But the room did have a luggage rack, so that’s a plus.

How about this for a thrill -- the window does not open, but to make up for that weakness the ventilation in the room is poor. So the room became very hot and stuffy, the longer I stayed in the room. I could not wait to leave in the mornings.

Perhaps most critically, the hotel does not have WIFI in the rooms, but instead hard-wired internet that costs US$15 per day. This is a terrible decision by hotel management – my new laptop doesn’t even have an Ethernet port, and charging for internet services today is completely at odds with what business customers need. So, since there’s no WIFI in the room I ended up at the hotel business center, which consists of two low coffee tables and two old desktop PCs running Windows XP in Japanese. I have sat here, crouched over and hurting my back, for about 30 hours over the past week. If the president of Otani Hotels were staying in this dump, he would see how bad this really is.

Unhappily, it gets worse. The breakfast buffet – the highlight of every morning for the business traveler – is pretty tedious. You get a small plastic card when you walk in, to place on your table to prove it is occupied. Then the food never changes – the same crappy scrambled eggs and under-cooked bacon every day. I found a fried chicken dish that was edible but after five days I was pretty sick of it, too. Don’t be fooled by the glamorous photos of the lounge – it’s pretty dreary.

Don’t even THINK of eating dinner in the hotel. I did that the first night and it was glutinous and greasy. Go explore the second floor shopping mall and you’ll get much better value and variety.

All this excitement cost me about US$90 a night. I could go on and on, but why bother? There are a million nice and interesting hotels in Tokyo. This isn’t one of them. Move on.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank PilotMike2009
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Bang outside Osaki Station, you cant go wrong with this hotel.. It is a business hotel, quick in-and-out, neat and clean, fast internet connection, comfy Pajamas, decent toiletries....

Perfect for Business Stay, not anything else....

Room Tip: Higher Floors are better... for sure
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank huzefac
Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

Stayed there for two nights. Would say our experience wasn't that good. We arrived late at about 8.30pm and was told the main coffee house was closed for private function. The other restaurant was also closed. Fortunately, there was a supermarket within the building where we could get some cup noodles.

We had two rooms and both are very small, comparable to hotels in Hong Kong. The rooms came with a queen size bed and a single bed. The room design was also dated!

The coffee house is rather small. On our last day, we had to queue for a table.

The hotel is located near the Osaki station, which is very convenient, which is the only plus point.

Overall, I rate this hotel as average.

Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Fredric1964
Reviewed December 18, 2013

This is a very average hotel but has a very good location. surrounded by mall and train station only 5 mins away. enjoyed the stay in this hotel and had a good room over looking the canal. although the rooms were very small ( hardly any area to walk with luggage but the service was good and room was neat and cozy. would like to come back here again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shinagawa
Shinagawa Prince Hotel Tokyo
Hotel MyStays Gotanda Station
Hotel Royal Oak Gotanda
Hotel Royal Oak Gotanda
#37 of 42 in Shinagawa

Been to New Otani Inn Tokyo? Share your experiences!