“Great Informative Tours”

63 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 106 helpful votes
“Great Informative Tours”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I have taken two tours with JTB Sunrise, the Mt. Fuji & Hakone Tour from Tokyo, and Kyoto & Nara Tour from Osaka. The tours are very informative and have well experienced guides. The Fuji & Hakone tour is perfect if you want to grasp amazing views of Mt. Fuji and visit the surrounding area, it is also one of their best selling tours. If you are flexable on schedule I recommend visiting in April during the Sakura (Cherry-blossom) season, your chances of viewing Mt. Fuji on a clear sprig day are certain whereas during winter the area might be cloudy. The Kyoto & Nara tour covers several main historical and world heritage locations in the Kansai region including the famous Golden Pavilion. This tour is extremely informative and you will learn things you would never get to know if you visit on your own. Hight recommended.

2 Thank faisalm88

• Korean first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Mt Fuji-Hakone Day Tour (might not be the best use of a day)”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

If you want to visit Mount Fuji, this is one way to do it provided you have a day to spare. The guide we had was excellent. She was entertaining, informative and as helpful as could be.

We also had good weather and were treated to great views of Mt Fuji. I think the best view of Mt Fuji is seen en route to the destination. It is breathtaking when the peak first appears ahead while on the highway. The destination itself on Mt Fuji is quite typical of tourist destinations. You will find souvenir shops, a Shinto shrine and not much else. There is a restaurant and a noodle bar there.

After departing Mt. Fuji, lunch was served at a hotel on the way to Hakone. The meal was beautifully presented but the portions were rather measly - even by Asian standards. It wasn't great either. It made me wonder if I would have been better off just having noodles while at the 5th Station or even grabbing a meal at the hotel on my own.

Hakone itself is a quaint and pretty town while Lake Ashi is quite beautiful although I must say that as far as boat tours and lakes go, it is nothing special. We then experienced a cable tram ride up the a look-out point. Nothing much there either other than a small Shinto Shrine. You do get a great view though.

Overall, we had a fantastic guide but the destination and experience itself was pretty mediocre. Having been on this tour, I am not sure I made the best use of a day. There is also a day trip available to Kyoto from Tokyo. I think that might have been the better choice as I would expect to still be able to take in a view of Mt Fuji on the way and get to experience another, culturally significant, Japanese city.

IMHO the best view of Mt Fuji is when you admire it from a distance. No need to actually go there.

2 Thank yumfix
Boston
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 85 helpful votes
“Tokyo Half-day Tour”
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Way too rushed. At one stop (Imperial Palace) guide didn't even really explain why we stopped there, what was inside. Learned later. But we had only 5 minutes. This specific tour was a waste of time. We utilized several Sunrise Tours throughout Japan. Purchased all through japanican.com The good thing about these tours is that they have zero forced shopping stops. The pace is fast on all of them. The worse-paced stop was at the golden temple in Kyoto. Guide said they must leave in 25 minutes after stop. If you did not just walk quickly from entrance right around to exit, you would not have made it. No time to stop. It was like getting off the bus and getting in line to get o the bus. I think they should just leave one hour earlier on that trip.

Overall, we liked the way the tour from japanican was a cobbling together of sunrise tours. We met different people each day. Only the 3-day tour out to Shirakawago did we have same people on trip, and then the group was six of us. Very nice because of small group.

San Francisco Bay area
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 134 helpful votes
“"Dynamic Tour, a great way to see Tokyo"”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

We were in Tokyo for a 2-day stay and wanted to see as much of the city in a short amount of time as possible. We were very happy that we chose the Dynamic Tour of the city. First of all, our guide "Curry" was excellent. She gave us so much information. As we drove from sight to sight she would give us some history and interesting facts but also she told great stories about Japan and the people. She really made the tour! The sights were very interesting. The tea ceremony was in a nice garden, and the lunch was delicious and located in another beautiful garden. We didn't stay at any one sight too long. They kept it moving which was good. It was a good full day. We would definily recommend this tour.

Sydney
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“MT FUJI, HAKONE, KYOTO, NARA”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

This was called the SUNRISE 3 DAY TOUR – MT FUJI, HAKONE, KYOTO, NARA ... but why is it called a 3-day tour when Day 3 there is no tour so it should really be 2 day tour

Day 1 - Mt Fuji / Hakone / arrive at Kyoto near midnight
Day 2 - Kyoto in the morning / Nara in the afternoon (alternatively there is also a Kyoto tour in the afternoon)

Anyway ... I received a letter at my hotel in Tokyo confirming/reassuring that we were booked! Good start.

I was travelling with my (retired) mom so the tour was a no-brainer to get around Mt Fuji . We were picked up Shinagawa Hotel (one of many hotel pickups) and driven to the bus depot then transferred to another bus. Our luggage was taken separately N.B. one luggage/per person is free – I had to pay for another cabin sized luggage even if the notice I received was “your large baggage” – I guess “large” means anything bigger than a backpack.

We had a tour guide with us every bit of the way so there was no fear I would get us lost (which I managed to do on a couple of occasions just by going the opposite direction ... yes I realise Japan’s city are not exactly compact!)

On arrival in Kyoto, we were given a selections of hotels and New Miyako was the best location because it was practically 5 minutes walk from Kyoto station so it was very convenient!

Excellent English speaking tour guides! The guide we had in Kyoto was particularly very knowledgeable ... her name is Masako Hiroishi.

Now about the tour, my highlights: Nightingale floors at the Nijo Castle. These floors were designed to have chirping noises when you walk upon them and according to myth it was developed as a means of defense against the ninjas.

Of course there was Mount Fuji, Kyoto Imperial Palace, Nara .... Yes, I also enjoyed the walk up from the Hakone Ropeway, cruise at Lake Ashi but I just felt that the Nightingale floors were just so different for me.

Probably the only thing I didn’t like was we were rushed in Kyoto ... rushed to finish the morning tour, rushed to finish lunch (buffet style – average food) so we can go on the afternoon tour.

Visited April 2013