“Great Sunday lunchtime” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Pier Hotel
Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom
“Great Sunday lunchtime”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

Called in last Sunday and was well surprised and pleased to see free snacks on the bar, something that used to be common but now has died out.
Really good pint, four real ales on and all very drinkable, staff all very pleasant and knew their real ales and how to look after them.
Didn't eat but the meals looked good, will be back for sure.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank James B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Canvey Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2013

I have never stayed at this hotel and so can only comment on the restaurant which has always been excellent. My Husband and I have eaten here together and also with friends, the waiting staff have always been attentive, friendly and shared a joke. Between us we have eaten every starter on the menu all of which have been very nice and just the right size and from the main course menu we have had steak, fish, chicken, chops, ham hock and a vegetarian curry all of which have been very good as have the desserts. The restaurant is nicely decorated and has a nice atmosphere with a mix of customer ages. Each time we have been, always in the evening there has been a large party of about 20 people but the waiting staff have coped well and have not neglected the other diners. We will be returning.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank DaisyLouisa
Kent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

I have previously stayed at the Pier Hotel and said i would go back, and i did the weekend was fantastic. It is still as good as i remember if not better. The staff are friendly and can't do enough for you, the atmosphere buzzing and the food amazing. We stayed in the Sunrise Suite which is out of this world a fantastic view of the beach and sea with an amazing decked area for you to sit out on and watch the world go by, a lounge with a large flat screen t.v and fridge, Large bedroom with a view and a gorgeous modern bathroom, what more could a girl ask for
Highly recommended hotel and restaurant hopefully return again soon

Room Tip: Choose the suite or premier room will not be disapointed
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank maci13
Rushden
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013

We travelled to Gorleston with my husband's grandparents as his grandfather had lived there for a couple of years and wanted a trip down memory lane. He suggested going to the Pier where he had spent a lot of time in his youth.
When we arrived, the bar was extremely busy and the only table was near a door so felt cold. My husband went to have a look at the restaurant and found it to be virtually empty. He asked a member of the serving staff if he could have a table for 4 and was told they were fully booked. His grandfather went to ask a few moments later and they magic'd up a table for us. As we were walking through to restaurant a member of the waiting staff asked in quite an off manner if we were looking for restaurant or bar. I don't know what their problem was. It's not as if we all looked like a bunch of tramps. Perhaps the serving staff just wanted an easy night and having to wait on an additional 4 people was going to cause them too much work. We asked two members of staff what the soup of the day was, and neither of them knew and had to go off and find out. As we didn't want wine with our meal, we were asked if we would like a jug of water to which we replied yes, but this didn't actually materialise. The food was ok though, but would not return due to the rude staff, really lets this place down.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank JulieDI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

Just spent one night at The Pier Hotel - had a sea view room. It was a very good choice as we were able to see the sea shipping and the lovely Gorleston beach.

The bar and eating areas were excellent and the food Very good.

Hope to go back there as soon as we can.
Sorry no pool .

Room Tip: Have a sea view room and book direct to the Hotel
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Margaret W
Groombridge Kent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013

I booked a suite for myself and sister for one night. When I telephoned i explained that my sister was on Australian time and we needed a suite, to ensure that I could go to bed and she could follow or get up when she couldn't sleep due to jet lag.

I was worried about the previous review regarding over booking, so contacted the hotel to double check our booking. The young lady on the desk (Kelly I think) was brilliant. She reassured me.

On arrival she took us to our room, and explained they had given an additional room next door and opened up the interconnecting door. We had a double bed each, fantastic individual bedrooms, sitting area, with a deck. Totally above the call of duty.

Sadly, we were attending a funeral the next day, and didn't have time to make the most of our lovely facilities.

The restaurant staff, and food is very good. On line you can't see the specials menu which price wise is between the main menu and bar menu. About £10 for a very large main course.

Amazing customer service and attention to detail. A very big thank you. You deserve to be no 1 on trip advisor.

Room Tip: Pay for suite it's worth the extra, or a sea view lovely, modern and large
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Happy283
Nottingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

I booked at this hotel and arrived to be told they had overbooked. I was offered a room in their Sister hotel but I turned out to be in on top of a pub that closed at 2am. I also wanted a private car park and the sister hotel had parking across the road away from the hotel, I was not happy as we have an expensive motorcycle and I chose the original hotel because of the CCTV parking. I have no idea what the hotel is like but giving someone else your room after a 4 hour drive will make me not try to book again. I finally got into another hotel at 6pm.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank ChrisRobbins186356
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gorleston-on-Sea
Cliff Hotel
#5 of 21 in Great Yarmouth
Prom Hotel
Prom Hotel
#11 of 21 in Great Yarmouth

Been to The Pier Hotel? Share your experiences!