“Excellent is not enough to describe this meal!”

Pilgrims at Lovington
Reserve with OpenTable
Pilgrims at Lovington is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 15 Restaurants in Castle Cary
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed July 28, 2014

I have never, not once, been disappointed by the Pilgrims at Lovington. I thoroughly doubt I ever will. I am welcomed through the door like a long time friend by Sally. Sally keeps a wonderful array of local ales and ciders which continue to tempt me each time I stop in. Sally is front of house and what a visual presentation she creates. I am very attention to detail orientated and really do enjoy the way Sally presents the front of house. The behind the scenes magic is the work of Jools, a culinary genius. I have eaten foods that I would ordinarily shy away from, if not reject completely and yet when Jools presents them on the plate, I cannot refuse let alone turn away. The flavours, the colour combinations and the presentation rival any of the Michelin chefs I have had food from. But those are just window dressing and pale to the taste that Jools is able to extract from the locally sourced ingredients. During my last visit Jools presented me with beetroot that was cooked in such a manner it was brilliant to eat. I shared my conversation with a couple who are local and as it turned out, the gentleman was the farmer who grew and supplied the very beetroot I was savouring. The conversation and the meal all added up to being a night I will not forget. Here I am sharing the experience with you and find my mouth watering again, now that is what every meal should do. Sadly there is only one Jools and Sally but gladly they are living their dream by being our host at the Pilgrims at Lovington. For those who need more time to digest their meal, there is a lovely open fire in the sitting area away from theseating area of the restaurant. I also enjoy the very well presented rooms in the hotel that Sally runs. This also allows me to enjoy one of Jools exquisite breakfast which means my dining experience just goes on and on, much to my pleasure. The only disappointing thing for me is having to say good by, with the wait until I can return again.

Reviewed July 27, 2014

Stayed there yesterday.i cannot praise this place enough.excellent rooms very luxurious rooms.The owners where really nice and made us feel very welcome when we arrived.The food was one of the best meals I have ever had in a restaurant.I would recommend it too anyone if they one a great stay and an excellent meal.I will be going back!

Reviewed June 18, 2014

You cannot dislike this at all! Excellent quality freshly cooked. Hosts are very friendly and amiable.

Reviewed May 10, 2014

Pilgrims opens at 7 pm, we needed to meet at 6;30 pm because we were travelling from Bath, Yeovil and Taunton they very kindly opened early for us which was very much appreciated.
Comfortable surroundings with a contemporary look in the restaurant.
Menu interesting and varied with imaginative presentation and flavours.
Portion size appropriate for the price.
Really liked it the chef taking time to interact with the customers at the end of the meal.
Excellent loos!
Worth the drive, a really lovely evening

Reviewed March 31, 2014

The food is excellent, well cooked and presented, we just needed more of it. It was embarrassing to have to ask for another dish of vegetables to go with the 3 slices of beef. It is a little pricey for what you get.

2  Thank Jill W