“Amazing”
Review of Mokuhankan

Mokuhankan
More attraction details
Owner description: Mokuhankan is a woodblock print shop with three main activities: browse the prints on display, watch our professional printers at work, or make your own print to take home at one of our Print Parties.
Reviewed August 1, 2018

Did this print workshop last December and I honestly think of it every single day.(So finally a review is in order...) It was really interesting and the people were fantastic hosts. We were able to see craftspeople at work and their intense enthusiasm for their work showed. After doing the woodblock event we later went to a museum and the old woodblock prints there. The prints really have a life about them from the carvers' hands and the tree that gave the wood to the block.
I love the print I was able to make but regret not buying one from their gallery. Guess I will have to return!
Shop was easy to find from the train station and lots of things to do right there in the neighborhood.

All reviews
"novice"
in 3 reviews
"intricacies"

Reviewed July 8, 2018

A friend and I were able to visit with the friendly folks at Mokuhankan and create our very own wood block prints at one of their Print Parties. I have to say that my time there was one of the nicest experiences I had while visiting Japan. Dave, the owner, was friendly and clearly passionate about his love of what he does. As our print party guide, his excitement made the entire experience educational, fun and productive (I love my print). Also, the wide selection of authentic wood block prints that are available in the shop are absolutely beautiful and very reasonably priced (unlike some of the poorer quality, mass produced prints available at some of the other shops in Japan). If you find yourself in the Tokyo area, you need to strongly consider a visit to the Asakusa area and be sure to book yourself a print party at Mokuhankan as a must have experience like no other. I'm very much looking forward to my return trip and maybe a different print. Unique life experience and special fun!

3  Thank khallatt
Reviewed July 4, 2018 via mobile

Overall good experience as we came away with some nice prints as momentos of our trip. However I expected more in terms of having the workshop guide giving us at least some overview of the history behind this type of craft, different styles, etc. Instead when we got there, she jumped right into showing us how to make the print. She was very friendly and answered our questions when asked but it would have made a difference to have more context given proactively.

Reviewed June 28, 2018 via mobile

Although I can appreciate the passion for his craft there was no need for the printmaker to have an outburst and tantrum at my whole family and telling the assistants to only help the two doing it like he said. Even when I asked questions he basically told me not to until he was ready to answer them chastising us for not knowing the answers to his colour questions.
My adult kids wanted to do the activity with their mum , and had come to enjoy it , he totally misunderstood my sons banter as being uncooperative and when he didn’t hold the pad correctly or push hard enough lost control. I had to ask him to calm down. The assistant looked st him in disbelief. He then left.

If they want professional / college people to only do their workshops and not the general public then this needs to be stated. The assistants were so embarrassed and as an educator I could tell this happens to them as well.
The two assistants were very accommodating and lovely.

4  Thank gdenham2018
Dave B, Owner at Mokuhankan, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2018

Well, here we are with our worst-ever review, one that I regret, but can’t deny ...

It’s our job in these events to match our approach to the people who show up, and in this case I struggled from the beginning to effectively communicate with the young man in this family. He started off by flopping down on the bench and declaring himself so hungover on tequila that he wouldn’t be able to function, and it went downhill from there. It then became clear when we began the initial ‘practice’ routines that he was determined not to make any attempt at all to try and actually produce a decent print; an ‘independent spirit’ who needs no instruction …

So be it, and this of course shouldn’t have caused a problem at all; we should have just let him be, but after some minutes of this, what pushed me over the edge was a semi-panicked glance from the young assistant who was frustratedly trying to do her job - guide him through the first step of the colour printing stages. He wouldn’t do anything she directed, and she had no idea how to proceed.

I _should_ have simply taken her aside and told her just to work with it, and not worry about what he did; just let him alone, but I felt that I should communicate my displeasure to him also, so I spoke out loud, and not in a polite way.

This was of course not the proper thing to do, and I have to apologize to the visitors for that behaviour. They had trusted us to provide them with an interesting - and pleasant - experience, and my petulant behaviour spoiled that. I left the room at that point, and the two young employees did the right thing, continued with the event, and helped the family with their printmaking.

But I can’t leave it there without mentioning that this young man’s behaviour was the most boorish, immature, and self-centred that I have ever encountered among the tens of thousands of visitors who have passed through these rooms over the years. Faced with this kind of behaviour on a future occasion, would I do the same thing again? Perhaps by then I’ll have matured enough not to let the behaviour of a child affect me this way …

We’ll see!