“wonderful stay”

Ranked #6 of 62 Specialty lodging in Taito
Dresden
“wonderful stay”
Reviewed February 3, 2014

we ( 5 friends from Germany ) had a wonderful 3 weeks stay in this Quite nice and cheap hostel......very, very helpfull, professional and relaxed staff, good location ( a bit far away from the center )......

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Lyon, France
Reviewed January 28, 2014

it was a really good backpacker and guest house, good welcomming, staff are so nice, they help you when you want to go somewhere!! it was really good even if it's a bit far from the city center it's one of the best i saw!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

Hacienda Heights, California
Reviewed January 26, 2014 via mobile

I honestly did not enjoy my stay at Aizuya Inn, but they are not a bad hostel, I would just pick other hostels over this one from now on.

Positives:
-professional staff
-hostel has a lot of decor

Negatives:
-¥100 for 5 min shower (is that really necessary? Basic booking cost does not cover such a necessary amenity? It's not a huge price really, but it just felt cheap and unwelcoming to me)

-stand off staff (a lot of the reviews talk about how great the staff were, but that is totally different from my experience. They were professional, but not welcoming at all. They usually just sit behind their desk behind the glass window, very separated from anyone. They don't talk to anyone unless asked a question and aren't very warm. At any hostel, the atmosphere is set by the staff first, and the atmosphere there was cold)

-offered incentive (free English breakfast) if we leave a review online and show them our review. It doesn't say that we are required to leave a positive review, but obviously if we show it to them to get a free breakfast there is gonna be pressure to leave a positive one. Sounds like a fishy practice to me, which is actually against policy here on tripadvisor)

-soulless environment (as mentioned before, because the staff sets a very cold, unwelcoming tone in the hostel, nobody talks to anyone. It's super awkward, especially in the lounge where odd ambience trance is played where people sit in front of people very closely at a small table. I know that people can be outgoing themselves and start conversations, but out of all the hostels I've stayed at, this one really made everyone feel like keeping to themselves.)

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed January 25, 2014

I stayed here for 2 nights. First thing about this hostel is that how off beat the location is. It's kind of away from Shibuya/Shinjuku/Ebisu so keep that in mind before booking this place. At first I thought I had made a mistake by booking something away from the main city centre but when I started walking around this quiet neighborhood I realised that it was actually quite nice. Uena and Asakusa aren't very far. I found some great restaurants in the neighborhood (For eg House of Gyoza) and also had a great experience walking around in the soapland area which is not very far from the hostel. I had a single room which for the price was quite cheap - the other dorms looked fine to me as well. It's a standard Japanese hostel. Nothing fancy. It's cheap and if you are looking for a bed to sleep on then it works. But yes the train station is slightly away - about 10 min brisk walk. If you are carrying a massive backpack then keep that in mind.

Room Tip: They have a different building across the main road. It's okay to stay in but if you like being...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed January 24, 2014

I stayed here twice, visiting Osaka in the middle, for a total of 10 nights. I arrived and departed all times by JR train.

The staff were always really helpful and easy to communicate with. I had one of the first Shinkansen's to Tokyo, since this was before reception opened and since they were looking after my main luggage while I was away they were really helpful in accommodating my early departure, so I had no troubles there!

The location is not central but I thought was actually in a really good spot. Taito has a very different atmosphere to central Tokyo and was a lot quieter and calmer; great for at night.

They say a 15min walk from Minami-Senju station, but it only ever took me 10min at the most. I managed it in 5min on my return from Osaka (without running). It was also a pleasant walk to the station.
Minami-Senju is on two fairly major lines, and I found it very easy to get to places around Tokyo. As a reference, it took 30min by JR train from Shibuya to Minami-Senju, so on the grand scheme of Tokyo, I thought that to be pretty good. (Plus I think the trains - especially at rush hour - are definitely something that should be experienced if you want to feel like you've seen Tokyo.)
Given the layout of Tokyo and the groupings of sights, I wouldn't see it as necessarily advantageous to be right next to one of the major stations anyway.

The room, yes, is small but there was more than enough room for just me (3 tatami mat). But Japanese homes in the cities are small anyway, so room size in Tokyo unless you're staying at the (expensive) European hotels, seems a moot point. The Japanese futon was insanely comfortable to me. In the context of Tokyo, the room was perfect.

You do have to pay ¥100 for the shower every day, but this really didn't bother me at all. (The room rates were of great value anyway for Tokyo).

I would definitely consider staying here again if I revisited Tokyo.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 24, 2014

Was looking forward to staying in Tokyo but Aizuya Inn is actually a bit inconvenient as a starting point. its a 10-15 minute walk from the station, which is real pain if you have heavy luggage and are travelling by train. It was reasonable enough but i felt an air of stinginess about the place. There were a whole heap of various deposits to borrow and use stuff. 100yen for a 5 minute shower made my eyebrows raise (and stopped my boyfriend from showering for our 6 day stay). We had futons which were rather thin, and the room was only big enough for the futons and our suitcases to lie next to it. The sinks were uncomfortable to use. Admittedly there was free breakfast (toast) but breakfast was located in a different building (Aizuya Inn Bar). The bar was uncomfortable and breakfast felt a bit stingy too. Aizuya Inn a great place if you just need a place to stay and are not fussy (my boyfriend was fine with the room and the facilities). But i felt that it lacked the feeling of warmth and community of other budget accommodations.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Yurihonjo, Japan
Reviewed January 22, 2014

The bed and location were great, however, my only qualms were how the place was run. They charged a 2000 yen key deposit, which I thought was a little steep. Moreover, this is the first hostel I've found that charges for water to take a shower! Call me cheap, but I think that's a little strange. Second, they shut off the vending machines after 10. Their reception hours are a little inconvenient for people leaving early in the morning. I had to leave at 7, and the reception didn't open until 8. There was a sign, but it's not visible from the front room.

However, the staff was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Also consider these accommodations in or near Taito
Oak Hostel Zen
#1 of 62 in Taito
Bunka Hostel Tokyo
Bunka Hostel Tokyo
#2 of 62 in Taito

Been to Aizuya Inn? Share your experiences!