All reviews tawaramachi station tea set sensoji temple single room private bathroom ryokan feel popular attractions ginza line don quijote asakusa area whole week quiet side street your luggage sushi spoke very good english green tea japanese style room
Reviewed March 26, 2013

We booked this hotel by the main reason it comfort and cheap. We booked by agoda in advance 1-2 months but before our flight not 24 hours. The hotel cancelled our booking we very upset.Hotel offer change to the other room day by day. We booked for 3 nights with double room and non smoking. At first night need us stay in twin room second night offer us stay in mixed-dormitory and the last let us move to twin again it not professional by the way we cancelled whole period and try to find new hotel. So if you book this hotel just consider might be hotel will cancel your booking immediatly before your flight not 24 hours.

Date of stay: March 2013
Trip type: Traveled with friends
浅草旅館東海荘, マネージャー at Asakusa Hostel Toukaisou, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2013

We are truly sorry for our mistake and for the inconvenience it caused you.
As you have written, we offered you another option to replace 1 Double room from the 2 Double rooms that you originally booked but we also understood and we are aware that the rooms we offered were not your original request and transferring from one room to another is troublesome on your part. But we would like to clarify that we did not cancel your reservation, it was your party that cancelled it.
Nevertheless, we apologize for the incovenience caused, and we hope to have another opportunity to have you here at the hostel in the future.

Please accept our apology again and we will do our best not to commit the same mistake again in the future.

Warm regards,

Asakusa Ryokan Toukaisou

Reviewed February 6, 2013

I stayed there for 2 nights. I was looking for a not expensive place but comfortable enough, and I found the right place. Nice, clean, simple. There are many rooms (maybe it's more a hostel than a ryokan) but it wasn't noisy. The bed was comfortable. Maybe the bathroom was a little small: shower room perfect, basin and wc room too small.

The location is great: I enjoyed walking at night time around the Senso-ji. The temple is beautiful at night time. There are also many small restaurants with good food, bars and jazz clubs.

You can access your room only after 3pm, keep this in mind, but they can store your luggage until then. They give me slightly incorrect info on the timetable for the Narita express, check them yourself!!

So: nice place, great location, value for your money. I enjoyed staying there but I cannot compare it with other places.

Date of stay: February 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed January 27, 2013

5 nights in Tokyo, before our flight from Thailand, we thought it must be a lot of money for accom.
Finally, we found Toukaiso; Good location, great price, nice staff and warm room. Transport from Tokyo station was very easy. We had all things around the hotel; food, temple, subway and sushi for sure. Next time in Tokyo, we don't hesitate to book here!!

Date of stay: January 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank Luckanavong
Reviewed January 23, 2013

This ryokan is very good. The staff is very attentive.
The location is the best part: near tsukuba Express (2 stations akihabara!) And metro. Near the complex Roxy (has market, games, Daiso, Uniqlo and cloth stores for a good price), near several restaurants and convenience stores, near Asakusa, you can go on foot!
The neighborhood is very nice, you feel a "resident" of Tokyo. ;)
The rooms have enough space (I was with my sister), just not very well ventilated.
The bathroom is enough.

Date of stay: April 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed November 11, 2012

We stayed as a couple in Ryokan Toukaiso for our first 4 nights in Tokyo.
The main reason we picked this place was that it was so cheap we decided we could spend the savings on nice restaurants.
For our purpose, this place worked well for us.
I probably would not return though!

Positives:
Cheap. About 84 AUD per room per night- for the japanese style room that sleeps two people. I couldn't find anywhere else in Tokyo for this price!
Futon was fairly comfortable.
Western style toilet.
Local area map with suggestions of things to see and do.
Clean room.
Wi-Fi works well inside the rooms.
A few minutes walk to the best prawn tempura I've ever eaten! "Daikokuya". The Trip advisor "Asakusa walking tour" gave us this tip and it was a good one!!

Negatives:
Staff were not as friendly as I had expected given the reviews.. they were fine, but they were hardly around.. not really there to give tips on good restaurants in the area, or transport advice etc. Made me realise helpful staff are invaluable.
Our room had one window, but as it was close to the neighbouring building we never got sunlight. I think some of the other rooms had better light, it's probably worth asking.
Location- Asakusa does not lie on a JR line. If you have a JR pass, (like us), it's worth staying in a suburb that has a JR line station, so you can use your pass to get around the city. In Asakusa you need to use the subway to get to Ueno or Ginza to change to the JR line (minimum 160 yen per ticket). Not really a negative for the hotel, but if you're picking between two different locations this might help.
Bathroom- To clean my teeth, I had to sit on top of the toilet in front of the basin and twist my head sideways to reach the sink. Got annoying after 4 days!
Had to remove our own rubbish.
Towels were very thin.

Overall, it was worth the money we paid for it, but make no mistake this is not a Ryokan experience. It's more of a hostel, with tatami mat rooms. Cheap and clean, it depends what you are looking for.

Room tip: Ask for one with some sunlight.
Date of stay: October 2012