“Excellent value”

Asakusa Ryokan Toukaiso
Ranked #20 of 125 Hotels / Ryokan in Taito
Reviewed April 29, 2011

Stayed here one night out of necessity, and was pleasantly surprised. Extremely reasonably priced. We stayed in a double room with ensuite, and it was lovely. Well decorated, free tea, TV, free (fast) wireless, shower and toilet were both clean and hot water plentiful.

The staff were nice enough, and provided a map of the area. The building next door must join onto the hostel quite closely, as we have heard some intimate occurences throughout our stay (!) but that isn't the fault of the hotel. Location is fantastic, only 5 minute walk from Tawaramachi on the Ginza subway line.

Beware one thing - they say their dryer is "quite weak" - this is an extreme understatement, I think using a hair dryer to dry my clothes might have been faster.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 12, 2011

Asakusa Ryokan Toukaisou provides a mixture of private room and dormitory accommodation. My husband and I stayed in a twin private room. We are both tall and checked beforehand whether the double room would have a big enough bed. The Ryokan staff were extremely helpful with their advice, and we booked a twin room, with traditional Japanese futon.
We found the futon to be very comfortable, but we weren't used to the small, hard pillows that went with them! But at least we experienced a traditional Japanese bed.
The directions on the website are easy to follow - we even checked with Google street view before we left the UK to see the landmarks mentioned, so had no problems finding it from Tawaramachi station - and the ryokan is really handy for the sites and shops of Asakusa, as well as for the transport system.
The room we stayed in was a traditional tatami room, with a separate toilet and shower/bathroom. Having stayed previously at the Chisun Inn in Asakusa, I can say that the room at the Ryokan was a good size, with plenty of storage space and room for two people to move around. Every morning we could collect clean towels and a flask of hot water from reception, and there was a tv, hairdryer, tea-making equipment, yukata, and mirror unit in the room.
We also made use of the laundry facilities on the top floor, which include a washing machine, tumble dryer and clothes line.
We stayed for a week, and our room was cleaned during our stay. The staff were very polite and treated our belongings with care and respect. There are recycling facilities in the hall outside the rooms, as well.
The only drawback to our stay was that the weather was pretty wet while we were there, and the room felt a little damp at times. The air conditioning didn't seem to work very well. But that was just a minor thing. Everything else was good, and we will go back again.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 22, 2011

This was my first time staying a hostel by myself and I had an absolute blast. I stayed in the 6 bed mixed dorm and though it was strange at first sleeping in a room full of strangers everyone was respectful of each other and amazingly no one snored.
Beds are clean and comfy and after a long day of touristy things, the fluffy white sheets are very welcoming.

There are two old computers which have internet access and surprisingly they are not old. They also provide additional cable thingies for people to hook up their laptops. A bookshelf in the main common area is also stocked full of guide books and novels that previous travelers left behind including several on Japan which are handy if you don't already own one and need to plan your itinerary.

Best part was staying up late every night and chatting with other travelers and sharing travel experiences in the common area around the stunning coffee table. And also being a solo traveler it was great when I could go out with others to go sightseeing as some things are just better done with 2 or more people.

Staff were very friendly and helpful. I dropped something on the subway one night and when I got back to the hostel the girl at the reception was so helpful and sympathetic and helped me find the number of the lost and found center (although I never did find it).

I only had two qualms:
- Climbing the winding narrow staircase with a suitcase. Those stairs were a killer (but good exercise when I wasn't carrying it.)
- The shelf to store luggage is open to everyone. You just have to trust everyone in the room. A small locker that can fit a pair of shoes and valuables is provided.

The location is excellent for people interested in the traditional japan. Just outside of the hostel is a neighborhood with character. Right opposite the hostel is a love hotel, around the corner a hairdresser and then a gay bar.
I did have a bit of trouble finding it at first, I walked around the block once and a half before I spotted it after finally understanding Japanese addresses (knowledge of Japanese was very useful in this instance) and contrary to the directions supplied by the hostel I never did see a blue and white signboard. The identifier is a vertical light up sign placed above the entrance that faces the street ends that says "hostel toukaisou"

I should also mention that the kitchen only has a sink, fridge, microwave and a few cups and cutlery.

I would definitely come back here again next time I'm in Tokyo.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank broadsheet
Reviewed December 8, 2010

Arrived in Tokyo on one cold rainy evening, tired and with luggage, we tried to find the ryokan based on the instructions gave, and couldn't, even after 20mins. In the end, we had to ask several people for help, and it took the combined effort of 5 people to locate the place.

Checked in, and was brought to our private backpackers room for 3 or 4 on the 3rd floor. (it's a narrow stairway - carry a backpack if you're staying on the 3rd floor!) I was shocked by the small size of it! This isn't my first time staying in a Tokyo hostel, but I must say, this is one of the smallest I've ever been to. Room was a tatami floor, with bunk beds and shelves provided. Really didn't have any space in the room at all. If the other people were inside, there wasn't enough space for me to stand. So everytime someone had to pack or unpack their items, everyone else had to vacate the room or be on their bunk. I resorted to packing my bag in the lounge area - ugly but effective.

Lounge on the 3rd floor had a whole range of maps and travel guides, and even a homemade file of travel advice. So that was very useful. There were also two computers with internet access available, no WIFI. There was a lights-out policy at the lounge after 11pm though.

The shared toilets were nice, clean, big and spacious. If only they reduced the size of the toilets and increased the size of the rooms!

For the same price, you can most definitely get a better room elsewhere, and more accessible. Although, I must say, the service here was a big plus in their favor. The lady who checked us in on that cold rainy evening was very nice, and even offered to help us carry out luggage up the stairs. Steve, whom we met when checking out, was most friendly and affable.

Another note: If you're flying on a night flight, and would like to leave your luggage with the reception after check-out in the morning, there is a charge for storage beyond 3pm. Check with the reception for the charges.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank summerly
Reviewed October 5, 2010

We arrived way later than we planned due to flight delays and despite arriving after the latest check in time, the manager was waiting to welcome us. Even though we dont speak any Japanese the place was easy enough to find.
The room was small but very clean and exactly as expected after looking online. Would recommend to anyone looking for a cheap and easy Japanese place to stay when arriving in Tokyo

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 23, 2010

Stay in Toukaisou in mid September for 8 night in the double room... The result of our stay is never going back again....First of all, room was small.... Toilet was even smaller, we cant even sit inside the toilet properly and have to sit slant 45degree facing outside inorder to use the toilet bowl.... Argh... To our next horror was the mattress was so dirty as it have been used for over 25 yrs and no bedsheet to cover up the mattress and they simply just laid futon on top of the mattress.....Before we sleep, we have to pat the bed afew times to see if there is any bedbugs.....

Do not even have a proper lobby and infact is just a small corridor leading to different rooms... They only have one PC for all their guest to stand to surf and is right in the middle of the corridor.....Don have have aircon or fan to circulate the air, can you imagine you are inside microwave surfing internet....(I went during summer, argh)..

Security at night in the hostel is a BIG BIG MINUS.... After 11pm, they will close the counter and stay inside their counter room. So initially we expect them to lock the main door and for each guest who stay in the hostel will have a number code to open the door if going to return late but to our horror the main door is not lock and worse is AUTOMATIC SENSOR door... So anyone who past by, the door sense it will open by itself... So anyone can enter the hostel... DANGEROUS.....

The wall of the place is not thick as you can easily hear other room guest chatting and you will even know if they on their TV....

But never to deny is the location is A Thumb up!!!! It is close to the Sensoji Temple and the street walking into the temple open quite as early as 9am... 24hrs of eatery, 24hrs of supermarket and near to various department stores and restaurants.

Don need to give me choice. pay for me to stay.. I also wont stay again.....

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 6, 2010

Was a bit nervous about staying here as my wife and I are no longer spring chickens. It seemed to be the ideal place for younger people. However, we loved it. My wife was a little aprehensive about the steel doors to the rooms, which she thought was a security thing. We never did find out why. Staff were very pleasant and helpful and spoke good english.

The room we had on the ground floor was just great. Room for the futon to be rolled out, small TV (don't think we even turned it on) toilet and shower. Bit of a problem locating the suitcases,but apart from that, everything was great.

Location was perfect and excellent value for money.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bob S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Taito
Hotel 3000 Asakusa Honten
#9 of 33 in Koto
Komatsu Ryokan
Komatsu Ryokan
#60 of 125 in Taito

Been to Asakusa Ryokan Toukaiso? Share your experiences!