“Nice location and friendly people manning the hostel”

Sakura Hostel Asakusa
Ranked #11 of 74 Specialty lodging in Taito
Reviewed April 19, 2013

We stayed in this hostel for 4 nights, in a shared room and common restrooms. At first we were apprehensive, but after staying for one night, we loved the place. It is a home away from home. The sketch showing the location of the place was also very accurate and helpful. The rooms and restrooms were very clean. They also provided a common dining area where the guests can cook their meals, even if it was not bought from them. Very appropriate for budget travelers like us. We met people from different countries, backpackers, students, and plain tourists. We really loved the place. And the receptionists are very helpful with questions about taking the subway. They give guests with a list of commonly visited places and how to get there from the hostel and back., Very useful.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MANILAROSE59
Management response:Responded February 24, 2014

Thank you so much for your nice review.
We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you got to meet different kinds of people in our hostel.
We really hope to see you again sometime in Tokyo.
Thank you again very much for staying with us!

Reviewed April 14, 2013

I stayed in this hostel alone for 2 nights. It's not so close from the subway and if you wanna fully exploit your Japan Rail Pass, Asakusa might not be the right place to stay because there's no JR station around. Anyway, if you wanna see Asakusa and surroundings, it's a convenient place.
The rooms and bathrooms were clean and it wasn't noisy. Had a good sleep. Hair dryers are available at reception. Wi-Fi is free, but a bit slow. Be prepared to bring some cash for the key card (1000 Yen) which can't be payed by credit card.
After all I nice place to stay and good value for money.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank stevy_dd
Management response:Responded February 24, 2014

Thank you so much for your review.
We are very pleased to hear that you liked your stay with us.
Our Wifi needed improvement, we agree with you. That is why we changed it and installed WIfi for the whole building now.
Thank you very much for staying with us. Hopefully we will be able to welcome you again some day!

Reviewed April 9, 2013

I have just stayed here for 5 nights and have to say it is the worst hostel I have stayed in (I have stayed in many).
If you want to stay in a place that is huge, institutional and do not want to meet many people then stay here!! Otherwise I would choose elsewhere.
Basically I checked in and did not like the feel of the place at once. The room I stayed in was 8 bed..and scruffy..although I liked the curtain on each bed. I tried to cancel 2 of my nights and then the older receptionist guy that works there told me I could not as I was on a better nightly rate due to long stay (which was a masdive saving of about 50p a nite!!). I then realised I had booked and paid for an extra night in error. therefore I told the same unfriendly male receptionist and offered to show him proof of my flight and he said I could not have the night refunded due to my discount rate. I therefore asked if I could just be charged for all the nights at the normal rate so I could be refunded the night and he said no. He literally said.."whose fault is it....your fault!" very patronising and rude towards me. I loved Tokyo but I had very disrepectful noisy room mates so barely slept..the stay at the hostel spolit my time a little there but luckily I was out early each day and back very late at night..although you should be able to have a nice comfortable place to stay. My advice would be stay somewhere like k's house..my friend stayed and there were lovely staff.
thank and just around the corner from sakura in asakusa which is a great area.

Sarah..U.K

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank snealson
Management response:Responded February 24, 2014

Thank you very much for your review.
Although we are very sorry to hear that you didn't like your stay with us. And we apologize if our staff was unfriendly to you in any way. We try to serve our guests as well as we are able to, and we are sorry that you had problems here. If roommates are noisy, it is better to tell the receptionists, so we can talk to them and keep the noise down. We apologize for the inconveniences.
Thank you again for staying with us. We apologize again for any inconvenience and we hope to be able to make it up to you sometime if you give us the chance.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

The location and condition of the hostel is great. We stayed on two separate occasions and the staff was helpful. They do have a security problem in the area where you are allowed to store your bags if you arrive before check in. They have keyed safe lockers that they discourage you from using by inferring that the nominal cost (a few Yen) isn't worth it. Instead they suggest you put your bags in the basement open storage area. Of course we didn't leave valuables but I did lose a pencil case with my drawing pencils and two airline pillows. go figure? When I went to get my bags out of storage I noticed that two pieces of luggage had been moved off the racks and on to the floor out of sight of their surveillance cameras and were partially opened. In retrospect the thief was probably just around the corner.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank JH658
サクラホステル浅草, Receptionist at Sakura Hostel Asakusa, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2014

Thank you very much for your review.
We are very sorry to hear that some of your things got stolen. Actually we only had very few cases of that till now. But to avoid that, we offer a service to lock your luggage away for one day at a rate of 300JPY. Then you can be sure that nothing will be stolen. We always try to have an eye on the storage area through our cameras, but unfortunately not all the time.
We really hope you were able to enjoy your stay with us anyway and we hope to see you again someday.
Thank you again very much for choosing Sakura Hostel Asakusa!

Reviewed March 27, 2013

Excellent stay at Sakura Hostel Asakusa. Spotlessly clean, very comfortable beds, helpful staff, and location is close to sights and multiple metro stations heading in different areas so an excellent choice for a hub. Price of hostel is also very good for the value of services and amenities provided. Also grocery store within a two minute walk (reduced sushi prices in evening). Will definitely look to stay here on my next visit. Thanks!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank FernandaRioGirl

Thank you very much for your review and we are sorry for the late answer.
We are more than happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay in our hostel. We are also very happy to hear that you liked Asakusa. We also think Asakusa has a lot to offer!
We thank you again for staying with us and we hope to be able to serve you again sometime!

Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

Ok where do I start, this is my first time to Japan and as soon as you arrive in asakusa its like a different planet! The while place is beautiful and soo clean its bordering on clinical obsession! The walk to the hostel takes 5 mins right through the gardens of the sensoji temple, my mouth was open all the way.

The hostel is great, it has a almost "industrial" feel to it with bear concrete walls and exposed pipes and cables but it has a very welcoming feel to it! The facilities were great and had everything you need, the staff were very helpful and had printouts and leaflets for anything and everything you may need, even international ATMs. If I had make any comment I think it would be nice if they swopped some of the tables and chairs for couches an coffee tables to give the place a more homely feel to it!

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank crasherkid
Management response:Responded February 25, 2014

Thank you very much for your review and we are sorry for the late answer.
We are very happy to hear that you liked the area and our hostel! Yes it would feel more cozy and homely if we had more sofas in the lobby, that is true. But then we would have less seats here I guess. Well we will definitely think about that! We are pleased to hear that the information we gave you were helpful.
Thank you again very much for staying at Sakura Hostel Asakusa. We hope you will visit again sometime!

Reviewed March 3, 2013

This hostel was recommended to me by a friend and I'm glad I chose it. It is in a great location just around the block from the famous Senso-ji Temple and easy access from train stations. They even had a nabe party while I was there and it was very enjoyable. The staff was friendly and helpful. I would defiantly stay with them again!

Room Tip: If you're not used to staying in a hostel or dorm bring ear plugs or headphones. Some people sno...