“Tokyo Hostel - get what you paid for”

bAKpAK Tokyo Hostel
Ranked #48 of 69 Specialty lodging in Taito
Reviewed October 15, 2010

tokyo hostel has cheap dorms and expensive private rooms.. we have stayed there 3 years in a row now and compared with 2008 the owners have really let this place run down... the kitchen is in a state of disrepair.... there is a sign on the oven saying "don't use the broken knob otherwise it will cause a fire" why don't they fix it ?? you can't stay out the front and drink past 10pm anymore either which is dissapointing since it used to be a great party atmosphere... highly dissapointing considering it's not in a good location as well and we go there based on previous positive experience, we will have to choose somewhere else to stay in Tokyo next time.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 3, 2010

The Hostel is located within traveling distance to all the sights. The rooms are very nice i traveled with a group so we didnt have to share any of the rooms with people we didnt know.The showers were great en the beds were japanese style, a small matrass on the floor. There were some common areas like a roofterrace, a lounge and a porch with a pooltable. There is also free internet acces. The staff is very friendly.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed September 18, 2010

Stayed in a twin share room with a friend. The room was a decent size and came with en-suite bathroom. There was a fridge, tea/coffee making facilities, wardrobe, free wi-fi and television in the room. You're also given a DVD player and they have a wall of DVD's that you can borrow and watch. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Check in was quick and easily done. Location is okay. The subway is about 3 block walk but this is the only negative about the hostel.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 5, 2010

We could not believe the cost of accommodation for a family in Tokyo. There were 6 of us (hubby, myself, our 3 kids aged 13, 12 and 9 years and our son's 13yo friend who came along for the ride). After extensive research we settled on Tokyo Bakpak in a 6 berth room with private bathroom. The room itself is quite small, with 2 triple bunks end to end along the wall, 1 small couch, little fridge and TV. Not much luggage space, and given we'd had 2 weeks of shopping in China prior we had plenty of bags, but we managed to squeeze in. The bathroom setup was brilliant, one big room had a bath with separate shower, then a separate room for the toilet and a hallway with vanity at the end. Those separate areas really helped 6 of us be able to get ready in time!
We only had 4 nights here, and our days were jam packed (out the door by 7.30am and home by 10pm) so sleeping was no problem as we were exhausted. Beds were fine and bedding adequate. About a 10min walk to Asakusa station which is a great line. Only 40mins and 1 change to Disneyland, and connects very well with many lines. We've decided it doesn't matter too much where you stay in Tokyo, the subway is just so extensive and connecting, so long as you don't have too long a walk to the station you're fine. There is a great restaurant between the hotel and the station, and also a 7-Eleven where we'd call in on our way home each night to select our bakery goodies for breakfast the next morning. Very glad we stayed here and didn't waste a fortune on a more expensive place.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank TMBHL_on_the_go
Reviewed May 3, 2010

I booked a single room in this hostel as I had read good reviews on tripadvisor stating that it was a clean place to stay. I so cannot agree! The bathroom area was filthy! The toilet stunk of pee and had weird splashes and stains on the wall. I really don't want to know what they were. Yuk! It seemed like the area wasn't cleaned regularly as it always smelled not matter the time of day. The shower was a bit better but didn't feel clean.

My room was more like Harry Potter's cupboard underneath the stairs. I didn't expect a big room but there was just a futon matress on the floor and just enough space to put my travel bag next to it. The aircon worked but was very noisy and I had to switch it off for the night. The draft windows, however, made the night really uncomfortable and the matress was very hard.

I upgraded to proper hotels that actually weren't that much more expensive but clean and I had my own bathroom. I cannot understand that someone would want to stay in that hostel! It's dirty, not in a good location regarding publich transport and not cheap. The place is in serious need of redecoration - everything is run down and backpackers seem to put up with it. No idea why!

Free internet was the only plus!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank supergrobi-18
Reviewed February 22, 2010

the decor was weird though. felt like I was in 1988. staff was not that friendly. the night time girl was rude. very close to ueno station but not as close to asakusa as I imagined when I visited the website. there's a lovely chinese restaurant nearby. very tasty food. bear in mind the distance from minowa station. if you're carrying a lot of lugagge it could be very very long ;-)

Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 2, 2010

Back in 2006 I went to the BaKPak International Hostel in Tokyo, and I was pleased with everything. The staff was very nice and helpful, the rooms were cleaned everyday and it was safe and secure. Since I had the dorm room the beds were comfotable and I had very goodnight sleep. It had an elevator which was very convient for me since I had a big suitcase. The location was very decent, it was about a 5-10 minute walk to the closest Train station. Altough I got lost at first once I got used to it, it was easy to locate. It was located close to many places to eat so that was very convient. Not only was the staff friendly but people who were staying were just as friendly. only a couple small things were a bit wrong like there weren't many computers to use for internet access and the chairs for the computers were a bit uncomfortable, but the lounge was relaxing and clean. It was set up in tradition Japanese style with a moden look. If you are a backpacker or a regular young traveler I recommend this hostel. You won't be dissapointed

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled solo