“A delightful ryokan, terrific owner/family/staff, ideal location”
Review of Ryokan Kamogawa

Ryokan Kamogawa
Ranked #26 of 122 Hotels / Ryokan in Taito
Vancouver, CANADA
“A delightful ryokan, terrific owner/family/staff, ideal location”
Reviewed November 26, 2013

Have stayed with Ryokan Kamogawa each time visiting awesome Tokyo .. always very special, both Ryokan Kamogawa & Tokyo. Welcoming, impeccable Japanese hospitality & warm, friendly, gracious, helpful service offered by owner/family/staff to her guests, English spoken. Was fortunate to have been upgraded to a palatial apartment-sized room (from a single room) for a portion of my stay ~ loved it, arigatou gozaimasu! Oh so very comfortable futon & pillows; gorgeous tatami mats; terrific bathrooms ~ well-appointed a/c rooms throughout, including green tea service; complimentary laptop/internet for use at welcoming, relaxing tea room. The Asakusa location is ideal ~ this quiet ryokan steps away from Nakamise-dori St., various temples, small amusement park etc. & very easily reached from Narita Airport via rail to Ueno Stn., then Ginza Subway LIne to Asakusa #19 stop. And thank you for the lovely 2014 calendar, which I treasure :-) Highly recommended.

Room Tip: If booking a single room, request one where the window doesn't face a brick wall
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Anjali2
旅館加茂川, フロント オフィス マネージャー at Ryokan Kamogawa, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Thank you very much for your staying !
It's our presure you like our ryokan.
Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Leigh, Greater Manchester
Reviewed November 5, 2013

This was a lovely place to stay and I am really glad I chose this hotel to stay in on my first visit to Japan. The staff are all really friendly and welcoming and there's always someone around who speaks English. My room was full of character and I loved the Zen garden on the landing outside it. The Japanese Breakfast was great - I had it every day, and I really enjoyed how the cook varied the breakfast from day to day - I've never seen such beautifully presented fruit salad in my life. The wi-fi in my room was fast and reliable. I was really sorry to leave.

If I could give one suggestion to owners it would be to update the website to make it clearer that if you are arriving from Narita, you'll probably be arriving at the Toei station so should leave the station by exit A4.

Room Tip: There's lift access to all floors, so no need to worry about carrying bags up stairs,
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
旅館加茂川, マネージャー at Ryokan Kamogawa, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Thank you for your stay.
I am looking forward to your next resevation.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 4, 2013

We booked this inn because of the hot spring bath and to experience some traditional japanese stay while in Tokyo.
And this was so so good - do not underestimate what the hot spring does to your body after a busy day of sightseeing. It was so so unbelievable good!!!
That alone was worth booking it.
The owners do speak little english but enough to be understood/to understand you. The welcome was warm and friendly. They were smiling every time. This is such a lovely feature of the japanese - most western countries should adopt this.
Do I really need to say anything about the cleanliness? It was top standard!
It's situated in the middle of Asakusa, short walk to the Asakusa shrine and temple. Perfect for sightseeing.
Of all the places we stayed in Tokyo, I liked this best. I surely will return one day.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
旅館加茂川, マネージャー at Ryokan Kamogawa, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Thank you very much for your staying.
I’m looking forward to your next reservation !
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed August 14, 2013

My Family & I visited Japan for the first time. The stay @ the Ryokan Kamogawa was awesome.We enjoyed every day we were there. The family that run the Ryokan are very lovely people. They showed us much love. The Japanese breakfast every morning was great. The futons are very comfy. Slept well every night. Very quiet @ night.This is a great place to stay. The air condition in the room was great. I like it cold, so it was just right for us. Free wi-fi in room, love it. I do recommend this place. Would go back if I am ever in Asakusa again. Hey Wong, Thanks for taking the time to take the picture with my family. We miss your smile @ breakfast.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
旅館加茂川, オーナー at Ryokan Kamogawa, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Thank you very much for your staying !
It's our presure you like our ryokan.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Asakusa was a place where visitors are brought back to the Edo era (ancient Tokyo), with the very rustic and traditional Japanese atmosphere. Coming here and staying in a hotel would be quite odd, and looking for a good ryokan to stay in would be a wise choice.

For us, this was the first experience in a ryokan and Ryokan Kamogawa was a good choice. Located within minutes' walk from the Sensō-Ji Temple, main shopping arcades, and within a train station away from Tokyo Skytree, it should be considered for anyone who wants a pleasant experience in a traditional Japanese inn.

Do note though that expectations need to be managed. This is a Japanese inn, and not a modern hotel. With that, I was already satisfied with the amenities provided, and having modern facilities, such as a lift, water-heaters in rooms, would already be considered as bonuses.

In all, this inn is definitely highly recommended..

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ellisbeck
旅館加茂川, マネージャー at Ryokan Kamogawa, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Thak you very much for your staying.
I'm looking forward to your next reservation !
Trento, Italy
Reviewed July 11, 2013

This was my first time in Tokyo and my first experience in a ryokan and I will surely repeat it.
The Kamogawa Ryokan is located in the central part of Asakusa, in one of the small streets behind Nakamise street, literally 2 minutes walking from the Sensō-ji temple ( wonderful at night ), and the main shopping arcades.
We chose the TYPE B room which was very spacious; divided into 2 rooms ( night area and sitting room area ) it has all the amenities and the comfort you need. After a day of visiting, it is nice to come back, put on a kimono and have a green tea. The staff speak very good English; it is very friendly and helpful. The ryokan also has a public bath, a bar and a restaurant, although we did not try it; we always ate outside, there is a vast selection of restaurants.
It was a wonderful experience. The district of Asakusa brings you back to Edo, ancient Tokyo, and its magical atmosphere! I highly recommend this place and this neighbourhood, perfect for a holiday / visit / stay in this amazing city.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lolly19
旅館加茂川, フロント オフィス マネージャー at Ryokan Kamogawa, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Thank you for your staying.
We are very happy to read your good review.
In Asakusa, there are many seasonal events throughout the year.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed July 5, 2013

This is an update from my review year. Giving 5 stars for excellent service because I had left an item of clothing at the hotel and they mailed it to me without hesitation and did not charge me. As I had mentioned in my previous review, staff went out of the way to help. It is a solid choice with excellent service.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank bluehornet2009
旅館加茂川, マネージャー at Ryokan Kamogawa, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Thank you very much for your staying.
I'm looking forward to your next reservation !
Also consider these accommodations in or near Taito
Asakusa Shigetsu
Asakusa Ryokan Toukaiso
#21 of 122 in Taito
Ryokan & Spa Sizku
#2 of 4 in Adachi

Been to Ryokan Kamogawa? Share your experiences!