“Clean, Tidy room at Great Location”

Ueno Touganeya Hotel
Ranked #10 of 119 Hotels / Ryokan in Taito
Singapore
“Clean, Tidy room at Great Location”
Reviewed October 28, 2013

I was travelling alone hence location was really important to me for my last few days in Tokyo and this hotel was indeed located at a really convenient location (recommended by my cousin whom stay at the same hotel previously).

Hotel Location - Hotel is located about 7 mins walk away from Keisei Ueno Station and 4 mins walk away from the JR Station. All via the huge overhead pass that links you to all four direction via Ueno Station (including the way to Touganeya Ueno Hotel). You may want to add in another 3-4mins should you have a heavy luggage with you as you carry your luggage up all those stairs everywhere from stations to overhead pass. Overall, this hotel is located at a really convenient area.

Customer Service – I was greeted by a young friendly female staff at the reception upon my arrival and I was really thankful to be given an early check-in as I arrived 30 mins earlier than usual checked-in hour (as I had a tiring trip travelling around Japan prior to my arrival at Touganey Ueno Hotel) and I was allowed to deposit my luggage few days in advance hence I really appreciate the kind gesture from the hotel.

The young female staff was also able to converse in basic English so I was really thankful for that as my Japanese language skill was of extreme minimal. Other days I was greeted by other staff that seems to speak only Japanese but I was alright since I had done my research on the area prior to my trip.

Hotel Facilities – Toilet was of adequate size based on Japanese standard. I had the bunk bed room (which; if I'm not wrong are the newly available room type) and I totally enjoyed the walking space in my room. The walking space between the bunk bed & the TV area was sufficient enough to have 3 open-up luggages so I felt really comfortable staying in my room with a small window view of the outside buildings. The tiny high-up window could be open up should you like to enjoy light breeze & fresh air instead of aircondition too.

Free internet & PC is available at the hotel lobby should you need to check email or flight check-in etc. (Take note that you would need to toggle between language choice as the person using the PC previously might have used another language)

Room Cleaning – Certain room promotion does not include room cleaning but clean towels will still be provided on daily basis.

Basic amenities & toiletries were being provided (towel/shampoo/shower gel/hanger) so if you ain't asking much, everything in this hotel will suffice your basic amenities needs.

Self-Coin Laundry – The Hotel has self-coin laundry & dryer available at 2 different levels (as indicated on their hotel information booklet in case if you need to do your laundry. A vending machine selling beverages is available at the laundry room too. (don't forget to bring your own washing power etc)

Location in Ueno – There is a Lawson convenience store located just at the right-turn corner at the hotel entrance. At the overhead pass of the Ueno cross junction, there is also another convenience store at the JR Station exit towards Touganeya direction too. And various Bento & pastry/cake available inside the JR station transit area before tapping your card out towards Iriya Exit.

Overall, shopping malls & eateries are everywhere at your convenience via the overhead pass so have fun exploring & enjoy your stay if you are there too! :)

Room Tip: Chose the bunk bedroom if you need more walking space in your room.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
TouganeyaHotel, Front Office Manager at Ueno Touganeya Hotel, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking your time to write a in-depth review on your stay at our hotel.
We are very pleased and glad to hear that you found our staff helpful and the location very convenient. Comments such as yours enocourage our personnels a lot. Also, we are glad to know that you found the amenities and facilities useful too and you got to enjoy the eateries at the station!
We are all looking forward to seeing you at our hotel again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed October 21, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel with my wife and 2 year old son. While the room was a tad small, it didn't bother us as we weren't in the room most of the day anyway. The hotel staff were great. Once they saw me pushing my son's stroller towards the elevator, one front desk agent just dropped what he was doing and helped hold the elevator door for us. Laundry facilities was a bonus which means we didn't have to pack too much. The location was brilliant, just a stone throw away from Ueno metro, JR and Keisei line to Narita Airport. Won't hesitate to stay here again!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank flyingmonkeyz
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking your time to write a reveiw on your stay at our hotel.
We are glad you found our staff helpful but mostly, we are glad you found the location brilliant.
As you have mentioned, our hotel is in the best location to use tokyo metro lines, JR lines and Keisei line so is favored by guests from abroad who use Narita Airport.
We all hope to see you again at our hotel and we hope you had a great time in Japan.
Clonmel, Ireland
Reviewed October 20, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for our first night in Tokyo. The staff were very friendly and accommodating.
They facilitated us in having the room available prior to normal check in time.
The hotel was not that easy to find, for the first time, as access is by pedestrian walkways over very busy roads. We had to get assistance to find it.
Having found the hotel we must say it is very central to many amenities. It is in a good location for exploring Tokyo but I think it would become very claustrophobic after a few nights. There is a double bed with access from one side only and a toilet/bathroom cubicle with very little room for cases.

Room Tip: All rooms are quiet as it is in a semi pedestrian area.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
TouganeyaHotel, Front Office Manager at Ueno Touganeya Hotel, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to write a feedback on your stay at our hotel.
We are glad you found our staff friendly.
We will take your comment on our room size into account.
There is a direction map on our website which could have helped you get to our hotel easier.
We will try to solve the points you have mentioned here.
Hope we get a chance to host you again!

Front Office
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights because of the convenient location. The hotel is a 5mins walk next to the ueno station if you take the iriya gate and then an outdoor external elevator. There is also a Lawson around the corner. Also it's a 20 mins walk to the asakusa area and it's a very quiet small street walk.
When we arrived, the hotel was able to accommodate us and checked us in earlier than the check in time. This is not common in the bigger chain hotels so definitely a plus for us after a long train ride.
The room was very very tiny but that was expected at the 9,000¥/night rate. The room was very clean (I think it was in the renovate section) and the front desk were very helpful with directions.
They also kept our luggage when we checked out. The only bad thing about this hotel is that the building itself is old and the elevator is tiny and slow.
Also the corridors are very dark and motel like. I think they should add some more lights and paintings in the corridors.
Overall wouldn't stay here again but it is very convenient and budget price so I recommend it for the budget savvy travelers.
We've also stayed at the chain hotel toyoko inn and it was a bit cheaper plus breakfast was included. However it was a chain hotel and didn't feel as welcoming at touganeya.
Wifi is included at touganeya although is quite weak in the rooms unfortunately.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
TouganeyaHotel, Front Office Manager at Ueno Touganeya Hotel, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Dear Guest

There is so many points that we would like to thank you for.
First of all, thank you very much for taking your time to write about your stay at our hotel and we appreciate you for staying at our hotel this time. Also, thank you for finding our location convenient too. As you have mentioned, our hotel is super close to Ueno station and Asakusa.
Thank you also for mentioning the early-check-in service we have offered. We are trying our best to let guest check-in as soon as they can so they can rest after a long train ride.
If you found our single/double room so small, I recommend you to reserve our twin room. You would enjoy much bigger room for reasonable price at a very convenient location.
We have taken in your comment on the lightning problem. We will try to improve by your next visit.

Thank you again for your feed-back and we are looking forward to seeing you in the near future!
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed September 19, 2013

I only stayed for one night in transit so my review is based on basic amenities. Small room, definitely for only one person. Room has fridge, hot pot, pajama. No wi-fi but there are two lap tops in the lobby for free use. The bathroom is small, step up into a compartment style bathroom. Quiet location about 5 minute walk to JR Station, slightly longer walk to Keisei Station but easy access. Lawson convenience store on corner but plenty of commercial activity, restaurants, Starbucks at Ueno Station. Staff was friendly spoke some English, and overall professional. For myself the room was fine for one night but I would need slightly larger room for more than 3 nights.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
TouganeyaHotel, Front Office Manager at Ueno Touganeya Hotel, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Thank you very much for your descriptive review.
We are glad to hear that you found the hotel in a convenient location.
Although every room has free WiFi access ,provably we did not tell a WiFi password when you check in.
We have taken note of your comments and we will try harder to offer the best service.
Thank you again for taking the time to write us feed-back.
We would be delighted to welcome you back in the near future.
Adelaide Australia
Reviewed September 4, 2013

As a group of six, we found this hotel an excellent place to start a trip to Japan. My husband and I lashed out and got the family room which gave us a lot more space than our travel companions. All rooms were clean, comfortable if a bit small and the staff helpful. The location so close to Ueno station meant it was easy to get to from the airport. At Ueno station we were able to buy a suica card which then allowed us to travel all over the city hassle free. The restaurant downstairs served us very good reasonably priced Japanese style breakfasts provided we ordered then the night before. The hotel was able to organise the transfer of our luggage onto to Takayama which enabled us to travel to Hakone and stay overnight there free of our bigger cases. This is a fantastic service offered all over Japan and is also very reasonably priced.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank YvonneT
We are pleased that your trip started nicely at our hotel.
We are happy that you enjoyed Japanese style breakfast and could use courier service.
Thank you for taking the time to write such a kind review.
Our staff is glad that we could make your travel more comfortable and helpful.
We look forward to seeing you again.
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 24, 2013

This hotel was amazing and in a super location. We arrived at around 6:30am so was very early for check in. Not a problem, they allowed us to check our bags easily and did their best to make up our room so we could check in a couple of hours before the usual time.

While we waited, we walked to Ueno Park where there was loads of things to see and do. Then the market area was just a short walk too. Getting around Tokyo from here was very easy. Ueno Station is literally just around the corner and it links to all the major area's very easily.

It was great to have so many things to do near the hotel though if we didn't fancy travelling that day.

The staff at the hotel were very friendly and helpful, spoke good English and ensures our room was kept very clean. The room was small, but you are in Tokyo so this is to be expected. The bathroom was immaculate and had a great selection of toiletries.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kate P
TouganeyaHotel, Front Office Manager at Ueno Touganeya Hotel, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to write us feed-back.
We are pleased that you were satisfied with our check in procedure.
We sincerely appreciate your kind words about our service.
Our staff will continue to try to improve our hospitality.
We look forward to welcoming you back.